Bearded Dragon severe limb possible partial paralysis

Piotruelik

Beardie name(s)
Gwen
Hello, new to Bearded Dragon.org, but am a semi experienced dragon owner. My Beardy, Gwen, is about 14 years old. She is large, slow, and much less active then she was 4 years ago, all to be somewhat expected. However, as of the past month or so, she has been placing one forepaw over the other, and using this like on unified leg, in a diamond push up like motion to move around. She seems near incapable of self separating her hands in this pose, so i used to gently push them apart, thinking her claws may have been getting tangled. As of very recent though, she flinches, quivers or pulls away when I do this, often opening her mouth or hissing. In my 14 yeas with this animal, never once has she hissed at me. I imagine this is a result of some pain I have caused her while touching her sensitive forelegs. As soon as through my doing or otherwise, her paws get separated, she puts them back in that same position. Her back legs seem unchanged, and she uses them for most locomotion, but her front, even when together seem weak and fragile. I understand she is old, but is there anything i can do to heal her, or at least ease any pain she may be feeling? In a normal day, she doesn't move outside of crawling to her water and food bowl. and only props her head up and her climbing apparatuses to get additional heat from the lamp, and now avoids climbing. I have implemented an easier to climb ramp for this reason.

I love my beardy, and refuse my roommates advice to let her go peacefully via the freezer (Roommate mad lizard is cooler then his hermit crabs)

Other health info:
18 inches
occasionally lays large bathes of eggs (6-18 usually, but has stopped in the past year)
has a varied diet and lots of live food, which is the only time she moves of her own accord outside of water and food. no longer wants to chase other pets or me when I take her on walks, I must carry her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, new to Bearded Dragon.org, but am a semi experienced dragon owner. My Beardy, Gwen, is about 14 years old. She is large, slow, and much less active then she was 4 years ago, all to be somewhat expected. However, as of the past month or so, she has been placing one forepaw over the other, and using this like on unified leg, in a diamond push up like motion to move around. She seems near incapable of self separating her hands in this pose, so i used to gently push them apart, thinking her claws may have been getting tangled. As of very recent though, she flinches, quivers or pulls away when I do this, often opening her mouth or hissing. In my 14 yeas with this animal, never once has she hissed at me. I imagine this is a result of some pain I have caused her while touching her sensitive forelegs. As soon as through my doing or otherwise, her paws get separated, she puts them back in that same position. Her back legs seem unchanged, and she uses them for most locomotion, but her front, even when together seem weak and fragile. I understand she is old, but is there anything i can do to heal her, or at least ease any pain she may be feeling? In a normal day, she doesn't move outside of crawling to her water and food bowl. and only props her head up and her climbing apparatuses to get additional heat from the lamp, and now avoids climbing. I have implemented an easier to climb ramp for this reason.

I love my beardy, and refuse my roommates advice to let her go peacefully via the freezer (Roommate mad lizard is cooler then his hermit crabs)

Other health info:
18 inches
occasionally lays large bathes of eggs (6-18 usually, but has stopped in the past year)
has a varied diet and lots of live food, which is the only time she moves of her own accord outside of water and food. no longer wants to chase other pets or me when I take her on walks, I must carry her.
@AHBD
@Drache613

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, Gwen has lived a very long time and I'm sure that she must be special to you. I really feel for you and for her going through this. I don't know if you can do anything for her, just keep her as comfortable as possible .
BTW, putting an animal in a freezer is not humane, it's really very painful as the animal's blood would crystallize while it's slipping away and would be very inhumane . Tell your friend that old myth is a horrible idea.

There's a slight chance that a vitamin or calcium deficiency could be at play but it's just a guess and I doubt that you want to put her through tests. You can try to offer a bit more Cal. + Vit., but I don't know that it'll make any difference. Best wishes to you + Gwen, maybe someone else will have suggestions.

Jjurovaty

Photo Comp Winner
Good for you, that you've had your friend that long? There's a special place in hell for your roommate that recommended the freezer. As you've already seen, that is NEVER the answer. If you think she's suffering or needs to go, then you go to a vet. Thanks for being a good dragon parent. Never listen to your friends ***** opinion!

Piotruelik

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gwen
Good for you, that you've had your friend that long? There's a special place in hell for your roommate that recommended the freezer. As you've already seen, that is NEVER the answer. If you think she's suffering or needs to go, then you go to a vet. Thanks for being a good dragon parent. Never listen to your friends ***** opinion!
Wow, Gwen has lived a very long time and I'm sur
Wow, Gwen has lived a very long time and I'm sure that she must be special to you. I really feel for you and for her going through this. I don't know if you can do anything for her, just keep her as comfortable as possible .
BTW, putting an animal in a freezer is not humane, it's really very painful as the animal's blood would crystallize while it's slipping away and would be very inhumane . Tell your friend that old myth is a horrible idea.

There's a slight chance that a vitamin or calcium deficiency could be at play but it's just a guess and I doubt that you want to put her through tests. You can try to offer a bit more Cal. + Vit., but I don't know that it'll make any difference. Best wishes to you + Gwen, maybe someone else will have suggestions.

I see. I greatly appreciate your input, I didn't know how quickly and passionately the community would respond. Beautiful. What vitamins may she be lacking? she has a pretty good calcium intake through natural foods and a supplement I give her in a edible powdered form. Is their other things she may be lacking that might be common for a beardy? Also, I never thought for a second a freezer would be humane, my roommate is a strange man who (While I was away and he was caring for her) lumped his crabs in her tank so he could clean the hermit tank, and had a hermit crab eaten and one's shell cracked by Gwen. A mighty and unfortunate bout of strength she occasionally exhibits. Once again, I extend a feeling of hope for her future, and love the people who have commented here for her safety.

Piotruelik

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gwen

I see. I greatly appreciate your input, I didn't know how quickly and passionately the community would respond. Beautiful. What vitamins may she be lacking? she has a pretty good calcium intake through natural foods and a supplement I give her in a edible powdered form. Is their other things she may be lacking that might be common for a beardy? Also, I never thought for a second a freezer would be humane, my roommate is a strange man who (While I was away and he was caring for her) lumped his crabs in her tank so he could clean the hermit tank, and had a hermit crab eaten and one's shell cracked by Gwen. A mighty and unfortunate bout of strength she occasionally exhibits. Once again, I extend a feeling of hope for her future, and love the people who have commented here for her safety.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
One of the mods. who is on at night might have ideas, Tracie [ Drache613 ] has a lot of experience and knows all about supplements + meds. Hopefully she'll be on to help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, what a lucky girl Gwen has been, at 14 not many make it that long.
Please do review your UVB lighting, supplementation, etc just so we can make sure everything is
optimal. How old is your UVB light & what type do you use?
As AHBD suggested, nutrients or other vitamin deficiencies can come into play as they get older.
Just like with people, our nutritional requirements change with age. Are you giving any minerals or
vitamins for her? What type of calcium does she use?
Low calcium or hypothiaminosis both manifest the same or similar symptoms so it could be one of
the other or a combination, etc.
Definitely the freezer method is not the way to go.
Do you have pictures of her you could post?

Tracie

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom