Bearded Dragon Scab heal time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barker07

108885-6958072982.jpg
Hi, My beardie Groot is nearly 6 months. About a month ago he rubbed his head when shedding and had a wound. We treated with Iodine and it was healing, now it looks like he is shedding this area again but the scales are black underneath. Is this normal? He is acting normal and eating fine.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok we need AHBD to look at it --- I will flag the post so she looks today
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My experience with injured skinks is small wound / scar area of damaged scales like that will take a few months to heal , in skinks that usually means 2 or 3 sheds .

Will be similar for a healthy dragon, make sure to provide extra live protein while this is healing, the dragon needs the protein to replace damaged skin and replace the damaged scales.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I agree that it should heal but you can apply some raw unpasteurized to it. It's a natural antimicrobial and good for all types of wounds. Just watch to see that it doesn't get bigger, that could indicate that it's some type of growth. But since it was from scraping it on something it seems that it's just a small wound.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I concur.

Best way to monitor it is to take a photo once a week , or every 2nd or 4th day depending on if it's getting worse (bigger) or not .

Compare photos and you'll pretty quickly spot any changes in size or appearance that you are unlikely to notice if you only rely on your memory.

If you decide to apply manuka honey to it, careful if you use crickets or roaches or locusts as feeders as they'll be drawn to the sweet honey and make the injury worse.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I was thinking also, that the iodine/betadine might have discolored that area a little bit. Did
it turn dark after you used it?
As suggested, keep an eye on it & watch for changes of size, color, etc with it. Hopefully it
will eventually just shed off.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's odd, have you been using the honey ? Can you post a new pic and is it possible that he is still rubbing it on something ?

Barker07

Original Poster
Hi All,

Update on Groot, he had a consultation with the Vet today and they believe he has dried pus under the wound which becomes solid over time. He will be going to have it removed next week. He is still his normal self which is great but the area is sore so I am hoping this will help.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hopefully that will allow it to heal completely. Has the injured area shown changes or signs of expansion over the past weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom