Bearded dragon scab? Gout?

Sophie_Sammy

Beardie name(s)
Sammy
Hello, my bearded dragon was recently diagnosed about a month ago or so with high uric acid 6.1 so I've been keeping him hydrated, etc. But recently I noticed his foot was a little swollen. I am worried about gout. He is moving ok for the most part. I also just noticed a big black scab looking thing on his foot finger which I'm concerned about. It recently just started coming off when I gave him a bath. It looked like flesh like. He is also shedding right now but not on his foot. Will try and attach photo of his foot. Do not know if I should take him to the vet yet so thought I would see if anyone knows anything about it first. Any advice would be appreciated thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20220520_170313493.jpg
    IMG_20220520_170313493.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20220520_170301953.jpg
    IMG_20220520_170301953.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20220520_170316173.jpg
    IMG_20220520_170316173.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 95

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, my bearded dragon was recently diagnosed about a month ago or so with high uric acid 6.1 so I've been keeping him hydrated, etc. But recently I noticed his foot was a little swollen. I am worried about gout. He is moving ok for the most part. I also just noticed a big black scab looking thing on his foot finger which I'm concerned about. It recently just started coming off when I gave him a bath. It looked like flesh like. He is also shedding right now but not on his foot. Will try and attach photo of his foot. Do not know if I should take him to the vet yet so thought I would see if anyone knows anything about it first. Any advice would be appreciated thank you.
Flagging post to our vet tech mod-- what are you using for a uvb? Coil or a tube? Crucial w/ gout and any other health issues- did the vet not say anything about the high uric levels?
@Drache613

Sophie_Sammy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sammy
The vet just said daily baths and less protein and making sure he stays hydrated. I use a reptisun 10.0 uvb 34 inch 39 watt strip light with a 120 gallon Zen habitat. I have not replaced his uvb in about a year and just ordered another one.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The vet just said daily baths and less protein and making sure he stays hydrated. I use a reptisun 10.0 uvb 34 inch 39 watt strip light with a 120 gallon Zen habitat. I have not replaced his uvb in about a year and just ordered another one.
Ok good about your uvb-- make sure it's in the tank approx 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- and I would change the bulb out in 11 months from install-- the vet didn't say anything about allopurinol? That would control the uric acid levels and keep swelling down- I would switch his staple feeder to silk worms- feed 2-3 times per week- - feed as many greens as he/ she will eat- Tracie can also address the scab

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is hard to tell exactly if the swelling on the couple of toes is due to an upcoming shed, or from possible
gout conditions. The scab, how long has that been present? Is there anything sharp in his tank that he
could have scraped or injured it on?
If the uric acid levels were 6.1mg/dl that is not bad but going upwards some. Those levels should be
down to a level to 3 or under, preferably. You could start him on a black or tart cherry juice extract to
help out his kidneys.
As Karrie suggested, silkworms are excellent feeders & low in uric acid naturally.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom