Bearded dragon recovering from Pinworms/Coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! My bearded dragon is currently recovering from Pinworms/Coccidia, The vetenarian believes she's had these parasites before I had bought her (From petco, something I won't do again). She was given Panacur for the pinworms and Ponazuril for the coccidia. After a second stool sample taken from the vet, She still had pinworms, so she was given a second treatment with Panacur. I'm hoping the second treatment will do the trick and the stool sample will come back negative, but her problem still remains. She will not willingly eat her greens or eat insects (A mixture of Mustard greens, kale, turnup greens, and yellow squash). I've been offering this combination for over a month and she has never eaten it. I've had to force feed her dubia roaches (just trying to open her mouth and getting her to start chewing) and soak her twice a day for 15 minutes so she gets some kind of nutrition and stays hydrated. She also doesn't go under her basking light on her own, usually she is under her log and I have to pick her up and move her before she starts moving around a bit. Overall, I'm just worried.

Here is a list of things you might want to know:

-She is in a Exo terra 36” x 18” x 18” with 2 swinging doors.
- Zoo med reptisun terrarium hood 36" with reflector
- Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB 34"
- Zoo med basking light 100w
- Reptile carpet in cage
- Warm side of cage 88-90F / Cooler side 85-87F / Under basking platform 102-105F
- She is given rep-cal multivitamin and calcium with D-3 once a week.
- She is a little over a year old (1 yr 2 months?)
- Offered greens and dubia roaches 1" each day
- Gets a bath atleast once a week.

Lolcrowleyy

Original Poster
Hello! My bearded dragon is currently recovering from Pinworms/Coccidia, The vetenarian believes she's had these parasites before I had bought her (From petco, something I won't do again). She was given Panacur for the pinworms and Ponazuril for the coccidia. After a second stool sample taken from the vet, She still had pinworms, so she was given a second treatment with Panacur. I'm hoping the second treatment will do the trick and the stool sample will come back negative, but her problem still remains. She will not willingly eat her greens (A mixture of Mustard greens, kale, turnup greens, and yellow squash). I've been offering this combination for over a month and she has never eaten it. I've had to force feed her dubia roaches (just trying to open her mouth and getting her to start chewing) and soak her twice a day for 15 minutes so she gets some kind of nutrition and stays hydrated. She also doesn't go under her basking light on her own, usually she is under her log and I have to pick her up and move her before she starts moving around a bit. Overall, I'm just worried.

Here is a list of things you might want to know:

-She is in a Exo terra 36” x 18” x 18” with 2 swinging doors.
- Zoo med reptisun terrarium hood 36" with reflector
- Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB 34"
- Zoo med basking light 100w
- Reptile carpet in cage
- Warm side of cage 88-90F / Cooler side 85-87F / Under basking platform 102-105F
- She is given rep-cal multivitamin and calcium with D-3 once a week.
- She is a little over a year old (1 yr 2 months?)
- Offered greens and dubia roaches 1" each day
- Gets a bath atleast once a week.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

When they are on medications, a lot of times they don't eat as much. Have you been
giving probiotics for her while she has been on meds?
I would also try getting the temperatures down some. I think she may be getting too hot.
The cool side should fall to around 78-82 & the basking in a range of 95-105 for adults. So,
the ambient tank temps really shouldn't be any higher than 82-84 max. Otherwise they wont
be able to cool off properly.
Do you give calcium without D3 2-3 times per week for her?

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hopefully the meds do the trick this time. Those two tend to be pretty effective and relatively gentile on their systems. Are you sanitizing everything that comes in contact with poop using ammonia/water mixture, F10, or steam? That should kill the coccidia and prevent reinfection. You setup sounds good. If she isn't used to eating greens it may take some time to get her into them. Try offering some other veges like chopped green beans or squash cut into worm shapes. She may be more interested in that. Also try hand feeding them and moving them a bit with your hand. Some of them are more attracted to food that has some movement to it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, this is a first for me, being reported for trying to suggest getting a probiotic.
That is a total complete insult.
I was not trying to get you to buy any medications, as your dragon has already had
rounds of medications.
Reporting me for that is a bit extreme, don't you think when I was just trying to help.
I did merge both of your topics since it was the same post.

I hope your dragon is doing better.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom