Bearded Dragon really lethargic for a while now

Zaargo

Beardie name(s)
Patches
Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble with my beardie Patches. He's about 15ish months I think.

I've had him for 6 months now, and since August he started being very lethargic and sluggish. ( I already have a vet appointment next Thursday, I just wish for a little help from some experienced keepers.)

He was fine as I got him, eating, basking and walking around. Suddenly he stopped being active around August. He stayed in the same spot without moving for days. He only got active when I fed him or took him out of his spot, but I always feel so bad doing this. He eats fine, although I'm having a little trouble with him eating greens.( he usually just ignores them until I have to throw them away.)

He doesn't bask, and im really worried.
I thought that maybe he was going into early brumation but he doesn't really sleep, he just sits there looking really tired and exhausted.

Enclosure data:

150x80x80 (cm)
Temperature gradient 29-42°c(basking spot), multiple cooler hides around 26-27°c.

UVB: Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 T5
Basking lamp: Lucky Reptile Halogen Sun

I feed him dubia roaches every third day, dusted with calcium. He gets salad every day but as I said, he hardly eats it.

I'm really worried about him as I am a first time beardie keeper and im terrified of hurting him.

advice of any kind is very appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble with my beardie Patches. He's about 15ish months I think.

I've had him for 6 months now, and since August he started being very lethargic and sluggish. ( I already have a vet appointment next Thursday, I just wish for a little help from some experienced keepers.)

He was fine as I got him, eating, basking and walking around. Suddenly he stopped being active around August. He stayed in the same spot without moving for days. He only got active when I fed him or took him out of his spot, but I always feel so bad doing this. He eats fine, although I'm having a little trouble with him eating greens.( he usually just ignores them until I have to throw them away.)

He doesn't bask, and im really worried.
I thought that maybe he was going into early brumation but he doesn't really sleep, he just sits there looking really tired and exhausted.

Enclosure data:

150x80x80 (cm)
Temperature gradient 29-42°c(basking spot), multiple cooler hides around 26-27°c.

UVB: Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 T5
Basking lamp: Lucky Reptile Halogen Sun

I feed him dubia roaches every third day, dusted with calcium. He gets salad every day but as I said, he hardly eats it.

I'm really worried about him as I am a first time beardie keeper and im terrified of hurting him.

advice of any kind is very appreciated.
Is your uvb in a fixture/ hood w/ a reflector - where is the uvb in the tank or on top?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It's the Zoo Med Reptisun T5 HO Terrarium Hood, mounted inside the tank (it's a wooden enclosure)
And do you have it directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches? How old is the bulb? Is the basking bulb a solid clear bright white bulb or yellowish?

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
And do you have it directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches? How old is the bulb? Is the basking bulb a solid clear bright white bulb or yellowish?
It's about 19 inches from the basking spot, he has several higher spots that are a little closer to the uvb tho. I'll see what I can do to get the basking spot a little higher up.

The basking spot is a warmer light, more yellowish, not bright white.

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
It's about 19 inches from the basking spot, he has several higher spots that are a little closer to the uvb tho. I'll see what I can do to get the basking spot a little higher up.

The basking spot is a warmer light, more yellowish, not bright white.
Ah I forgot, the bulbs are both about two months old because I had to replace them. The old ones were about 5 months old.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ah I forgot, the bulbs are both about two months old because I had to replace them. The old ones were about 5 months old.
Please change out the basking bulb for a solid clear bright white bulb -- examples would be like a Flukers - Zoo Med Repti basking --- Arcadia Halogen or a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb-- do that and see what he does

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
Please change out the basking bulb for a solid clear bright white bulb -- examples would be like a Flukers - Zoo Med Repti basking --- Arcadia Halogen or a Exo Terra Intense basking bulb-- do that and see what he does
I'll try that, I'll attach a picture for you to see the colors of the light, I'm not really sure how to describe the color. I'm interested tho, what's wrong with the yellowish light? I thought it's more like sunlight than a bright white :(

Attachments

• 20220512_162709.jpg
    20220512_162709.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 74

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'll try that, I'll attach a picture for you to see the colors of the light, I'm not really sure how to describe the color. I'm interested tho, what's wrong with the yellowish light? I thought it's more like sunlight than a bright white :(
Nice tank ---- distance from the UVB to the basking decor should be closer 19 inches is too far - what is the range of the UVB he can get to as far as getting closer and where does he often sit the most to get the UVB? I am seeing the UVB and it looks like he cant get directly under it from the other spots in the tank and the spot hes sitting on in the pic is too far away -- I would drop it down at least 4 inches if its 19 inches from where hes sitting -- its too far away--- What is the brand of the basking bulb your using?

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
Nice tank ---- distance from the UVB to the basking decor should be closer 19 inches is too far - what is the range of the UVB he can get to as far as getting closer and where does he often sit the most to get the UVB? I am seeing the UVB and it looks like he cant get directly under it from the other spots in the tank and the spot hes sitting on in the pic is too far away -- I would drop it down at least 4 inches if its 19 inches from where hes sitting -- its too far away--- What is the brand of the basking bulb your using?
Well momentarily he just hides on the upper left platform- he doesn't get much light at all, that's why I was worried. I can try to let it down to get the perfect distance to the basking spot and the rest of the tank, but I fear that he won't really get down from his platform. I'll try to rearrange his enclosure a little so ensure he gets the proper amount of uvb at his basking spot. He just isn't baskin at the moment😔

I'll attach a picture of the basking bulb and where he's sitting all this time
16634282420596031002278470427426.jpg

Attachments

• 16634282907804052764156742283511.jpg
    16634282907804052764156742283511.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 64

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom