Bearded dragon prolapce

Aleksandra

Beardie name(s)
Charly
Hi all. I'm new to the forum.
I've got a ~10 month old female beardie.
She had a pinkish stuff coming out of her tail when pooping ( she also has coccidia). It was just a little bit, but she drag it along when "whipping".
We rushed her to her vet, to find out she has eggs. So the vet operated her few daysafter to remove the eggs (lasm Monday), as the prolapse could get worst when trying to lay them.
Now the prolaps is not doing any better, and she's not retaining it on her own, and I have to push it back either by wiggle her tail or by pushing with a q tip. She was a little constipated from the coccidia medicine and from the anesthesia and the vet suggested to take it off the coccidia medicine, boost the vegetables and give olive oil... she has diarrhea now, and she pushed her insides again. Her belly also looks big and bloated.
The vet said that the beardie might outgrow this condition as she grows older and bigger, but I'm really scared an operation might be needed (again!).
Apart of all this, the coccidia just doesn't wanna go away. I'm having a 10 day vacation in mid May, and I just don't have anyone to follow her poop schedule and assist cloacal retraction or giving medicine.
The beardie is in excellent general condition, healthy appetite ,even 1 day after the operation, little bit on a heavy side. Not moving much, but alert and respond. Feeding it 7 days per week, calcium on every meal. Lights are on 12 h per day.
Any advise on how to avoid operation in such cases will be gladly welcomed.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Aleksandra, sorry that your beardie [ and you ] are going through this. Can you post pics of her , her enclosure and the prolapse ? Vets usually put a suture at each end of the cloaca so the prolapse doesn't come out. Then it would have been best to not feed her so she has time to heal instead of needing to go poo because she is eating.

Aleksandra

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charly
Thank you so much for your reply.
Pics of her and the enclosure (the uvb lamp is new and 12 on after the operation.) Don't have a photo on the prolapse, since the tissue is coming out when she poop, and I didn't take a photo yesterday. I didn't want to keep the tissue outside for too long. Never had to use the sugar water remedy yet, but it's becoming chronic. It's a small tissue coming from the tail, not the colon.
I've read about the hunger therapy and today and tomorrow I'll not feed her ( she doesn't like this much). I wanted to her recover from the operation as fast as possible, so I was feeding her as much as she likes. So overfeeding and the big belly might have also contributed to the problem. Hydration is also tricky, as too much water or veggies gives her diarrhea.
I was also surprised the vet didn't stich her when she had a chance under anesthesia.
Can a vet place satures on the vent with local anesthesia only?

Attachments

• 16506148936477879957252346483873.jpg
    16506148936477879957252346483873.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 16506149240436632850818689442983.jpg
    16506149240436632850818689442983.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 88

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's very pretty vibrant red, my favorite color. :) If the tissue just shows itself and then goes back in it's not an actual prolapse but it can become one. Prolapse is when it stays outside of the cloaca /vent. How much tissue was out ? There is only one opening that a prolapse comes out of, the rear end/butt/cloaca, it's the same slit under the tail. This will explain :

She might have never needed surgery to begin with but what is done is done. Did you breed her ? It's rare that a 10 month old lays eggs. Did the vet show you the eggs ?

Last edited:

Aleksandra

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charly
She's very pretty vibrant red, my favorite color. :) If the tissue just shows itself and then goes back in it's not an actual prolapse but it can become one. Prolapse is when it stays outside of the cloaca /vent. How much tissue was out ? There is only one opening that a prolapse comes out of, the rear end/butt/cloaca, it's the same slit under the tail. This will explain :

She might have never needed surgery to begin with but what is done is done. Did you breed her ? It's rare that a 10 month old lays eggs. Did the vet show you the eggs ?
The tissue protrudes a little(I'll soon take a photo), but she draged it on the floor before sucking it back and made it worse. So I take her and push it back inside with a q tip and vaseline. She pooped yesterday, and I'm planning to leave her alone for couple of days, befor bathing her. She rearly poops in her enclosure. The vet showed me the eggs, I also saw the photos from the echo. The vet didn't want to operate her when first find out about the prolapse, but changed her mind when she saw it herself. Besides that, the beardie was acting weird lately, glass surfing and with a huge appetite. She was eating a lot, with supplements on every meal. Can stitches be made without general anesthesia?

Aleksandra

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charly
It might be possible if she will be still but it's not likely. You can ask the vet though.
After 2 hungry days, we bath her and she has a diharea again. I guess too much veggies, the olive oil, or too much water in her system or is the coccidia symptoms. As she pooped, she prolapsed again (Beware butt pics attached ). I used the sugar water remedy and a q-tip to puch it, but she used her tummy and pelvic muscles to suck it back in. I fed her with 8-9 small dubias and little greens. By the look on her face, she wants to devour way more, but I'm keeping it light for the tummy.
I think the prolapse will do fine and will heel, but the parasites are the main problem on the first place. She took antibiotics for over a month with not much of improvement. I didn't gave any probiotic, as we don't have any here and the vet said they weren't necessary.

Attachments

• 20220424_111503.jpg
    20220424_111503.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20220424_111501.jpg
    20220424_111501.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 74

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's not really a prolapse, put some raw honey on it and it might allow it to slip back in. The area above her vent [ like 2 lumps ] looks swollen though, did the vet say anything about that ?

Aleksandra

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charly
That's not really a prolapse, put some raw honey on it and it might allow it to slip back in. The area above her vent [ like 2 lumps ] looks swollen though, did the vet say anything about that ?
No, she didn't say, and I it was aways looking like this (I even thought before that she's a male because of those.). I'm doing the raw honey in the next bath.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Use a Q-tip and put the raw honey very gently in the vent [ slit ] and the little piece of tissue. Don't feed her for a few more days either.

Aleksandra

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charly
Some updates: we are going to different vet now, she made some tests and found nematods in the poo. She used different antibiotics, but still no improvement. By her advise we boosted the greens. She doesn't digest them well and still poops a lot of water and undigested food. I've never used probiotics on her, the vet said they weren't necessarily, but I think this is not true and I'm looking for alternatives. There is no any aprooved for lizards here, so I bought soy probiotic yogurt to gut load the roaches.
Can I use human probiotics or can you recommend any to order from Europe? Is the soy yogurt enough?
We have another appointment today for the antibiotic administration and I'll bring her poo to a human lab to be tested for additional bacterial infection, but I doubt this is the main issue any more - all should be wiped out from the antibiotics.
Any enzymes that can help digestion?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Raw, unpasteurized honey is great for all sorts of stomach troubles and contains lots of helpful enzymes. I'm not sure about any other products, soy yogurt might be helpful. Tracie ,one of the mods. here [ username Drache613 ] can help with that question.

Aleksandra

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charly
Raw, unpasteurized honey is great for all sorts of stomach troubles and contains lots of helpful enzymes. I'm not sure about any other products, soy yogurt might be helpful. Tracie ,one of the mods. here [ username Drache613 ] can help with that question.
I talked to the Vet, and she had some bene-bac. We are going to start it today. I'll post the latest lab results additionally.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The benebac is good, that's great she had some for you to use. Hopefully that helps out for her.
How is she doing?
Did you get the lab test results back as well?
I hope she is feeling better, keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Aleksandra

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Charly
Hello,

The benebac is good, that's great she had some for you to use. Hopefully that helps out for her.
How is she doing?
Did you get the lab test results back as well?
I hope she is feeling better, keep us posted on her.

Tracie
No lab results yet, later today or tomorrow. The diharea is still present, despite the bene-bac. The beardie is eating fine, but she doesn't look very happy and full. We'll have to battle dehydration now. She doesn't drink any water at all, and when I give her some with syringe, she poops it out on the next day.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom