Bearded dragon possibly broken jaw?

Inkticious

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi there, thanks everyone for your advice on my previous post, this is kind of a follow up, I guess?

So, recently I took my beardie to the vet, roughly some time last month. Everything went well, the doctor said that she is very well taken care of, and there was only an issue with her liver, which the good news is we recently got a call saying that it was just an infection, and she is acting like herself again now.

Here's where things get kind of bad, so, the vet gave us two syringes for force-feeding, since she wasn't eating, we got home, my mom made my dragon a blend of greens and insects, she was trying to get my beardie to drink it, but my beardie kept trying to bite it. For context my beardie chomps on everything that is food and that she enjoys. We heard a loud crack, and instantly I knew something was wrong; we went over and checked on her, and she has lost a tooth, it broke off and was stuck inside the syringe. I made sure she was okay and I called the vet instantly. This all happened after we had just brought her back home. The vet said she should be okay since she wasn't bleeding or anything, but I am a bit worried because today I noticed that near the front of her mouth her jaw kinda awkwardly titled outwards, I'm not sure if this means her jaw is broken or not.

She's acting like herself and doesn't seem to be in pain, so maybe I'm just over-reacting, but she's basically my daughter and I don't want my little one to be in any pain.

Does anyone know if it's her jaw being broken or not? If it is, what can I do to help her, if she needs any help?
If pictures are needed just let me know and I will provide them.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
It's kindda hard to believe she would bite hard enough to actually break her jaw, but I'm not an expert so take it with a grain of salt. Like rango said can you post a few pics? There is a vet tech on staff here, she can probably advise you.

Inkticious

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here you go.
20220902_221832.jpg
20220902_221844.jpg
20220902_221936.jpg

Inkticious

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Those are currently the best photos I can provide of her face that are recent, I'd hold her mouth open for a better image but I dont want to hurt her, or upset her. I'll try to take a better one next time she holds her mouth open.

Edit: also I am very sorry for the late response by the way!

Inkticious

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I do hope it is just a broken tooth, she means the world to me and is my therapy pet. I'm still hurting from losing my previous bearded dragon, so I just wanna make sure I don't make any more mistakes, making sure I pretty much keep all important information memorized, and have easy access to any important information on hand if necessary. She's my lil buddy, I love her with my heart.

Inkticious

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I currently have her sitting on my stomach, she's very alert and doesn't seem to be in pain. I'm just gently petting her, as she holds her mouth very slightly agape in a way that you would really only be able to tell it was open if you were really looking at her.
20220903_133045.jpg
20220903_133048.jpg
20220903_133103.jpg
20220903_134500.jpg

20220903_134548.jpg

20220903_134622.jpg

Ok, Got very lucky and was able to get some photos of her mouth while she was yawning.

20220903_134622.jpg
20220903_134623.jpg
20220903_134624.jpg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
To me it looks like its just the tooth, if she was in pain she would in all likelihood be black bearding. I think they can regrow some if their teeth Hopefully it will just come out and be replaced with a new one.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I'm not sure if they do regrow teeth, as their teeth are part of their jawbone if I remember properly.
They can regrow some of their teeth but not all. Makes them an interesting subject to study dental evolution because they have both monophyodont (don't regrow) and polyphyodont (continuously regrow). Humans and many mammals have diphyodont teeth, meaning we have two sets of teeth, milk teeth and permanent replacements.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom