Bearded dragon not eating?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How would you feed this? To give meds I can her side of lip open just enough to put a drop in there. Idk if I’d be able to syringe feed a bunch that way.
You can try off of a spoon -- if not syringe feed you will need to make it really watery and snip the end of the syringe off its really thick stuff ---- FEED VERY SLOWLY- you dont want her to aspirate - let her swallow what you put in

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You can get the omnivore version also, but for a baby i would probably stick with carnivore. They need the protein.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I haven't used the carnivore, but the omnivore smells good enough that i considered trying it lol. My guys generally will eat it decently well. But Karrieree is right it can get thick, just keep adding a little water at a time till you get a consistency that works. (Spoon or syringe)

Andi_Braun

Original Poster
If I am doing the math right she is 20 grams so would only need a little less than 1/4 gram of powder? Divided into 4 feedings. So will just be a couple drops at most each feedingb

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
When i use it i give them as much as they are willing to eat per feeding.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
They can get sick, but it's usually from something being off in their habitat. They are pretty hardy little animals. (not saying they can't or don't get sick for other reasons) getting their uvb and basking on point is the most important thing. Keeping their habitat sanitary is also very important. Just like any other animal they naturally carry some parasites in their system. If their habitat is kept reasonably sanitary their immune systems keeps it in check, but some like Coccidia depend on being reingested as part of their life cycle, so if poop is left for them to track through it can cause a flare up.

Andi_Braun

Original Poster
They can get sick, but it's usually from something being off in their habitat. They are pretty hardy little animals. (not saying they can't or don't get sick for other reasons) getting their uvb and basking on point is the most important thing. Keeping their habitat sanitary is also very important. Just like any other animal they naturally carry some parasites in their system. If their habitat is kept reasonably sanitary their immune systems keeps it in check, but some like Coccidia depend on being reingested as part of their life cycle, so if poop is left for them to track through it can cause a flare up.
I have been keeping everything clean and the lighting is good.
While waiting for that stuff from Amazon I popped into the store today and found a chicken baby food, that I saw mentioned a lot on this site, so I warmed it up a little and put some in a syringe and put some drops in side of her cheek so that she would open mouth and swallow it. And she seems perkier today, even if not eating.

I spoke to vet again today, and they told me that it could be a couple weeks after treatments before her appetite picks up, does it really take that long?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I think it depends on the individual beardie, but i think it can take a little while for them to bounce back.

Andi_Braun

Original Poster
Update:
Today is a little depressing, vet basically told me they don’t know what’s going on and just watch her.
Fecal is clean and so was blood work now.
Back to not eating unless I syringe feed it which means no growing and even lost a gram and all of her stress marks are back.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok
Update:
Today is a little depressing, vet basically told me they don’t know what’s going on and just watch her.
Fecal is clean and so was blood work now.
Back to not eating unless I syringe feed it which means no growing and even lost a gram and all of her stress marks are back.
Ok please post a pic of the tank

Andi_Braun

Original Poster

Attachments

• A643DEED-E3A7-4090-82FC-C49FC315A71D.jpeg
    A643DEED-E3A7-4090-82FC-C49FC315A71D.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 63

Andi_Braun

Original Poster
The uvb is a reptisun 10.0 t5 it’s about 14” from the top of that wood. And I can tell from the light triangle on the wall that the lighting just overlaps the basking spot.

The basking bulb is a 50watt but has to be dimmed about 30% otherwise it gets too hot.

Basking spot is 105-110

That side of the tank is around 90 and the cool side around 80

Substrate is shelf liner

The bowls near the wood one has small dubia the other has large bsfl and veggies.

The gray in cool side that she moved I have been putting shallow water to try and get her to drink doesn’t work so taking it out.

While not eating I have been bathing every other day to keeep hydrated and while bathing she will drink so water dripped on her face.

There is another one directly above her set up the exact same way that is thriving. The only differences is the other doesn’t have bowls since she eats anything I put in there right away. And 2nd wood piece in hers because if
I put one in this one’s tank she will get to the closest spot to the uvb and just stay there. Even if it’s only a few inches and the temp is only 85ish, so I took it out 2 weeks ago to see if that was the issue.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The uvb is a reptisun 10.0 t5 it’s about 14” from the top of that wood. And I can tell from the light triangle on the wall that the lighting just overlaps the basking spot.

The basking bulb is a 50watt but has to be dimmed about 30% otherwise it gets too hot.

Basking spot is 105-110

That side of the tank is around 90 and the cool side around 80

Substrate is shelf liner

The bowls near the wood one has small dubia the other has large bsfl and veggies.

The gray in cool side that she moved I have been putting shallow water to try and get her to drink doesn’t work so taking it out.

While not eating I have been bathing every other day to keeep hydrated and while bathing she will drink so water dripped on her face.

There is another one directly above her set up the exact same way that is thriving. The only differences is the other doesn’t have bowls since she eats anything I put in there right away. And 2nd wood piece in hers because if
I put one in this one’s tank she will get to the closest spot to the uvb and just stay there. Even if it’s only a few inches and the temp is only 85ish, so I took it out 2 weeks ago to see if that was the issue.
What is the brand of the basking bulb? It looks like it has a yellowish hue to it- you need a clear bright white basking bulb - no off white or yellowish or daytime bulbs - they have a coating on them that is harmful to the eyes-- finger smudges get some spray way glass cleaner - its cheap from Home Depot or maybe Walmart has it

Andi_Braun

Original Poster
What is the brand of the basking bulb? It looks like it has a yellowish hue to it- you need a clear bright white basking bulb - no off white or yellowish or daytime bulbs - they have a coating on them that is harmful to the eyes-- finger smudges get some spray way glass cleaner - its cheap from Home Depot or maybe Walmart has it
I had the Phillips one in there and recently switched to the zoo med one that is in there now. Both had to be dimmed. And both made the same orangish not super clear light.

But would color of bulb affect appetite? The others have the same bulbs in and are fine.

Attachments

• 64D0BB3A-D218-4B1B-B520-4B76EAD042BA.jpg
    64D0BB3A-D218-4B1B-B520-4B76EAD042BA.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 60
  • C86DE405-B73A-46BF-A4ED-0BD057C24604.jpg
    C86DE405-B73A-46BF-A4ED-0BD057C24604.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 55

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom