Bearded Dragon not eating

sjfrank

My bearded dragon Pogo not eating and losing weight. He has never eaten his vegetables very well and will only eat 3-4 superworm a day. I have tried dubias, crickets when he was small. Nothing seems to help. I am getting worried. Please help.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Please go over your setup, especially the lighting.

sjfrank

Original Poster
I have a heat lamp that stays on all the time and I have 2 uvb bulbs that stay on during the day and go off at night. Temp ing cage is 96.6 and humidity is 21% How is this should I change anything . My beardie is in a home made cage made of wood and tile.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I have a heat lamp that stays on all the time and I have 2 uvb bulbs that stay on during the day and go off at night. Temp ing cage is 96.6 and humidity is 21% How is this should I change anything . My beardie is in a home made cage made of wood and tile.
What kind of UVB are you using? I'm guessing they are the screw in coil type. If so, they are likely not giving sufficient levels of UVB, especially if they are on top of a screen. This can cause a lack of appetite, and that is honestly the least concerning thing that can happen from inadequate UVB. You want a long tube style fluorescent that covers about 1/2 to 2/3 of the enclosure. T5 with a 10.0 or 12% bulb is best, 12-15 inches above basking spot if inside the enclosure or 8-10 inches if on top of a wide hole screen. I will post some links for the best brands. PetSmart has started carrying the Arcadia brand, so you might be able to pick one of those up there if you have one nearby.

ReptiSun
Arcadia

The ReptiSun comes with a 5.0 bulb but you will want to switch to a 10.0, or you can put a 12% Arcadia bulb in the ReptiSun fixture.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
Also, if your heat lamp is a light, it needs to be off at night too. If it is a ceramic heat emitter or deep heat projector, it only needs to stay on at night if temps are going below 65F. Dragons like cool and dark to be able to sleep properly.

The surface temp of your basking spot during the day should be about 100-105 or 110, best measured with a digital probe thermometer. 96.6 is decent for ambient warm side temperature, but there should be a cooler side around 80-85.

sjfrank

Original Poster
Thank you I don't use coil type I use Two reptisun 10.0 UVB BULBS. My bearded dragon is in a large wood and tile cage with 3 domes inside one has ceramics heater and the other two are the reptisun bulbs. Is this okay because I can not put a long tube style in there. Please let me know.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you I don't use coil type I use Two reptisun 10.0 UVB BULBS. My bearded dragon is in a large wood and tile cage with 3 domes inside one has ceramics heater and the other two are the reptisun bulbs. Is this okay because I can not put a long tube style in there. Please let me know.
If the uvb's are in domes they are coils- they are inadequate - how long is the tank?

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I have heard of people making the 26W version of those work with smaller tanks, but they still needed a different fixture than simple dome, more like a small tube style hood where the bulb goes in sideways and acts like a mini tube. If there is absolutely no way to put a tube fixture in, my best recommendation would be to use a mercury vapor bulb or bulbs that provide heat and UVB. They have their drawbacks and I'm not as familiar with them personally, but it would be better than the ones you are using now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have heard of people making the 26W version of those work with smaller tanks, but they still needed a different fixture than simple dome, more like a small tube style hood where the bulb goes in sideways and acts like a mini tube. If there is absolutely no way to put a tube fixture in, my best recommendation would be to use a mercury vapor bulb or bulbs that provide heat and UVB. They have their drawbacks and I'm not as familiar with them personally, but it would be better than the ones you are using now.
I have had my first dragon under a 26 watt Reptisun post a while back that was in bad shape - I do not recommend those bulbs at all especially w/ large enclosures- the 26 watt needs to be in a reflective dome w/ the basking decor directly under it 6-8 inches - if the enclosure is a tall one dragons need floor space not height- if a MVB is used it should have a long tube fixture to go w/ it -- MVB's do not emit enough UVB and depending on the height of the enclosure the UVB rays will diminish in strength - the dragon will not eat w/ out this being corrected

Last edited:

sjfrank

Original Poster
I will try to see what I can do about putting a long tube type bulb in Pogo's inclosure and let you know how he does. Thank you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I will try to see what I can do about putting a long tube type bulb in Pogo's inclosure and let you know how he does. Thank you
When you get the long tube fixture I recommend a 24" Zoo Med w/ reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ 12% bulb please let me know so I can help you place it for the tank / enclosure

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom