Bearded Dragon not eating green or pooping

Hi! So my beardie looks fine and is doing okay. His colors and activity are okay, but he hasn't pooped in a while. I also noticed he isn't eating any greens. I had to go on a trip for 2 months, but I had someone look over him. He has a few stuck sheds and clogged femoral pores, but besides the eating and pooping he looks fine. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

beardie4life

Original Poster
I tried giving him a bath and I gave him some prune juice (don't worry very little) today. I also messaged his stomach. During the bath, I tried to use a brush to take off the stuck shed, but it is still there. How should I take it off?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
for the shed, just leave it alone. it will come off in time. although you can soak and brush with a soft brush, too many baths can be bad for their skin. (we usually only give a bath once a week.) any other help, like peeling it for them, etc. can damage their scales.

as for the poop, how long has it been? and how old is your dragon?

it might be a good idea to go over your lighting and temperatures. those are key for digestion and overall health. sorry, i didn't see any information filled out in your profile so you will probably wind up being asked a lot of questions in that area.

beardie4life

Original Poster
No, it's okay. I am willing to answer questions, I just joined the community. So like I said before I gave him some prune juice and yesterday he pooped so I think I am okay with the pooping area. He is 1 and a half years old. I am trying to get a temperature gadget to accurately see the tank's temperature. For the poop, I think it had been at least a week. As for the shed, ok I will look at it. But it seems like it is an old shed and it is really white on the tail. I did give him a bath this week. Also, I did not know too many baths were bad for their skin so thank you. Now all that is left is him being a picky eater. I don't see him eat his food as much as he did before. Thank you again so much for your help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I also have another question, for some reason beardie when he poops he has lose stool but I don't know why.
What is the UVB your using coil or a long tube fixture - and surface basking temps they should be taken w/a digital probe thermometer -- 95-100--- this all plays in w/ the pooping temps start digestion UVB controls behavior and overall health --- extremely important -- what is his diet?

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
No, it's okay. I am willing to answer questions, I just joined the community. So like I said before I gave him some prune juice and yesterday he pooped so I think I am okay with the pooping area. He is 1 and a half years old. I am trying to get a temperature gadget to accurately see the tank's temperature. For the poop, I think it had been at least a week. As for the shed, ok I will look at it. But it seems like it is an old shed and it is really white on the tail. I did give him a bath this week. Also, I did not know too many baths were bad for their skin so thank you. Now all that is left is him being a picky eater. I don't see him eat his food as much as he did before. Thank you again so much for your help.
They can be picky eaters for the greens you can try add bee pollen which help tremendously. I would also switch up the the greens….which I do frequently.

beardie4life

Original Poster
What is the UVB your using coil or a long tube fixture - and surface basking temps they should be taken w/a digital probe thermometer -- 95-100--- this all plays in w/ the pooping temps start digestion UVB controls behavior and overall health --- extremely important -- what is his diet?
I give him cabbage with carrots and I tried changing his diet so I added bellpepper.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I give him cabbage with carrots and I tried changing his diet so I added bellpepper.
Please no cabbage it's too hard on the stomach- you want to feed collards turnip kale or mustard squash zucchini or yellow - etc I can post a website for nutrition tomorrow - please go over your surface basking temps--and the uvb coil or a long tube fixture--

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
here's the website karrieree mentioned. Nutrition Content ignore what it says about kale. it has been studied further since the link was made and is a great staple food.

our main foods rotate between kale, dandelion greens, collard greens, mustard greens, and watercress for greens. added to that are various colored bell peppers, sweet potato, squash, and zucchini. fruit is once a week because of the sugars and varies between raspberries, blueberries, or grapes. the salads get bee pollen granules added, usually about 1/2 a teaspoon. sir henry refuses to eat anything with powder on it, so he gets liquid calcium 3x a week and liquid vitamins 1x a week. since he is 2, he only gets bugs 3x a week, 3-5 dubia roaches per feeding.

work with karrieree on the lighting. she is one of the ones i was expecting to ask you a lot of questions. the lighting and temps are truly crucial, but once you have them sorted out there won't be much that needs to be changed. it is the first/easiest thing to rule out when a dragon is having problems. then once past that we can trouble shoot other things. this may well answer all the poop questions you have.

for testing temperatures, a digital probe thermometer is the best thing. ideally you want one for the cool side and one for the hot side. i use a third one for the middle, but that's just because i have a 4'x2'x2' enclosure and don't want to move them around. you do not need 3. IR temp guns can be used as back up for spot checks, but there are some materials they will read temp wrong off of, so the probes are the best. Zoo Med Reptile Terrarium Digital Thermometer | reptile Bearded Dragon | PetSmart

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
oh and as they get older, it is not uncommon for them to go a week or so without pooping. and usually extra liquid means they are well hydrated. but determining that as a new normal or a problem will come after sorting out the lighting/temps. it would help if you could post a picture next time he goes just for reference.

beardie4life

Original Poster
Please no cabbage it's too hard on the stomach- you want to feed collards turnip kale or mustard squash zucchini or yellow - etc I can post a website for nutrition tomorrow - please go over your surface basking temps--and the uvb coil or a long tube fixture--
Oh wow. I didn't know about cabbage. Thank you both for the website and advice. Can I send you a picture of my lights? Also, what is your opinion on the size of tank my bearded dragon should have? I was going to upgrade his since I think he has grown out of the one right now. Also, I will take a picture of his poop next time he goes. Thank you again!

beardie4life

Original Poster
Also, I have another question on femoral pores. How often do you have to take them out and what happens if you don't ever take them out?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh wow. I didn't know about cabbage. Thank you both for the website and advice. Can I send you a picture of my lights? Also, what is your opinion on the size of tank my bearded dragon should have? I was going to upgrade his since I think he has grown out of the one right now. Also, I will take a picture of his poop next time he goes. Thank you again!
Optimal tank size 75-120 gallon - websites can be posted for those- please post a pic of the tank and lighting -

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom