Bearded dragon kidney issues

Sophie_Sammy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sammy
Hi, my bearded dragon Sammy is around 3 or what I was told when I adopted him. He has been to the vet 2 in the past couple months. He's been just hiding all day and not pooping while not eating as much for about 4 months. We thought he was in brumation as that is what the exotic vet said but he wasn't getting better and loosing weight so we took him in again. He was 540 grams and was 560 the last time we took him to the vet. The vet did x-rays and blood tests. Unfortunately the vet said his uric acid was 6.1 and supposed to be 3-4 which means the kidneys are not doing well. The vet said all we can do is soak him and try to get him to eat salad. He said there could already be to much damage but he doesn't know. I am hoping we can reverse it by getting him hydrated. The vet does not know how long he will live or what the future holds. He told me to come back in about 6 months to check the uric acid again. I don't know if there is anything else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? It makes me feel upset or stressed but I am just trying to do the best for him. Does anyone have similar experience? Thank you, any advice would be appreciated. Some people in the general health thread said I could probably give him some tart cherry juice and drop water on his nose. Does anyone think of anything else to do? Is this hopeless? Do bearded dragons live only a little bit with this problem? He hides all day usually and has a harder time pooping. Also can I use bee pollen? He loves bee pollen and helps him eat. Thanks

Sophie_Sammy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sammy
Hi, my bearded dragon Sammy is around 3 or what I was told when I adopted him. He has been to the vet 2 in the past couple months. He's been just hiding all day and not pooping while not eating as much for about 4 months. We thought he was in brumation as that is what the exotic vet said but he wasn't getting better and loosing weight so we took him in again. He was 540 grams and was 560 the last time we took him to the vet. The vet did x-rays and blood tests. Unfortunately the vet said his uric acid was 6.1 and supposed to be 3-4 which means the kidneys are not doing well. The vet said all we can do is soak him and try to get him to eat salad. He said there could already be to much damage but he doesn't know. I am hoping we can reverse it by getting him hydrated. The vet does not know how long he will live or what the future holds. He told me to come back in about 6 months to check the uric acid again. I don't know if there is anything else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? It makes me feel upset or stressed but I am just trying to do the best for him. Does anyone have similar experience? Thank you, any advice would be appreciated. Some people in the general health thread said I could probably give him some tart cherry juice and drop water on his nose. Does anyone think of anything else to do? Is this hopeless? Do bearded dragons live only a little bit with this problem? He hides all day usually and has a harder time pooping. Also can I use bee pollen? He loves bee pollen and helps him eat. Thanks
Hello, just an update on Sammy. He's doing great! I'm really happy. He's eating salad everyday and drinking water when I put it on his nose when he eats and is Basking and being active again! I wonder If he was in brumation, but he was loosing a little weight and was not coming out on his own really so I took him to the vet. I'm really happy I did as we found out about his uric acid before it became really bad. Thanks for responding to my threads and sharing thoughts, ideas and encouragement! He's also been pooping regularly which is encouraging as he was not before! :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific Sammy has improved so much now! I am happy to hear he is eating his greens daily
& staying hydrated, too. He really came through a huge turn around for you. Bless him!
Gout can be very elusive but if caught early, many times can be completely reversed & manageable.
Thanks for the updates!

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom