Bearded dragon kidney issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophie_Sammy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sammy
Hi, my bearded dragon Sammy is around 3 or what I was told when I adopted him. He has been to the vet 2 in the past couple months. He's been just hiding all day and not pooping while not eating as much for about 4 months. We thought he was in brumation as that is what the exotic vet said but he wasn't getting better and loosing weight so we took him in again. He was 540 grams and was 560 the last time we took him to the vet. The vet did x-rays and blood tests. Unfortunately the vet said his uric acid was 6.1 and supposed to be 3-4 which means the kidneys are not doing well. The vet said all we can do is soak him and try to get him to eat salad. He said there could already be to much damage but he doesn't know. I am hoping we can reverse it by getting him hydrated. The vet does not know how long he will live or what the future holds. He told me to come back in about 6 months to check the uric acid again. I don't know if there is anything else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? It makes me feel upset or stressed but I am just trying to do the best for him. Does anyone have similar experience? Thank you, any advice would be appreciated.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
I have seen on here tart cherry juice can help with kidney function. The other thing I see a lot is Allopurinol prescribed in the case of gout, but I'm not sure if that would be relevant or helpful in this particular case. The tart or black cherry juice can't hurt though. One of the staff members on here is a vet tech with a reptile vet so may be able to offer more advice. I will tag her and another person that might be able to better help.

@Drache613
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, he might be O.K if you find a way to get him to drink. Soaking ois good but only if he drinks. When you put him in warm water for about 5 minutes, slowly drip water on the tip of his nose. That can get them to rink, but be patient because sometimes it takes them a minute or 2 before they start drinking. You can use the slow drip method while he's in his enclosure , too. If he absolutely won't drink water, add a very tiny amount of unsweetened juice like apple or grape. Raw/unpasteurized honey , just a drop , can also be tried mixed with water.

Sophie_Sammy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sammy
Hi there, he might be O.K if you find a way to get him to drink. Soaking ois good but only if he drinks. When you put him in warm water for about 5 minutes, slowly drip water on the tip of his nose. That can get them to rink, but be patient because sometimes it takes them a minute or 2 before they start drinking. You can use the slow drip method while he's in his enclosure , too. If he absolutely won't drink water, add a very tiny amount of unsweetened juice like apple or grape. Raw/unpasteurized honey , just a drop , can also be tried mixed with water.
Thank you for the suggestions, do you think I can also give him tart cherry juice as people are recommending? Also do you know if bee pollen is good for him? He seems way more interested in his salad with it. Thank you

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
He did not prescribe anything. Just daily soaking once to twice a day.
did he mention the reason for soaking that much? usually they should not bathe that often because it is not good for their skin. if it was for dehydration issues, as mentioned by AHBD, the bath will only help if he drinks from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom