Bearded Dragon in his cage too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColeDWestin

Original Poster
Hey guys,

Rookie bearded dragon owner, again showing his worries about if he's being a good parent to Safi, the Beardie in question. He's just recently turned a year old, and he is my baby. I spoil him rotten, but make sure to do so in ways that don't violate the beardie safety rules. But I digress.

So, due to working two different jobs, I am rarely home during the day, thus don't usually take my Beardie out of his cage all that often. My jobs are usually teaching (as a sub) during the day, or working at a liquor store most afternoons to late evenings. Sometimes though, I can be working both jobs in a single day. Sun up to sun down.

When that happens, I make sure he has his food before I leave for work, I clean up the debris in his cage when it gets a bit grungy when I am able, and I try to take him out of his cage on the days I do have off and let him run around a bit. He has his lights set on a timer, and if I am gone the whole day, I do make sure he gets crickets or worms at a set time from someone else that is able to feed him in my absence.

Maybe it's just me worrying over nothing, but there have been stretches of time where I have not been able to let him out of his cage to just wander around for a bit at all. He can spend entire days in his cage, with just his food dish being replaced as needed every morning and evening. I give brief "Hello Safi!" talks when I get home, but don't have time to play, if that makes sense.

My question is this: Am I in danger of leaving him in his cage for too long? I deeply care for him, and I worry constantly that I'm leaving him in the cage for too long. He seems to wander around it just fine without issue, but again, I worry. He might not be bonding with me the same way I have bonded with him.

Edit: To clarify, I have searched online, and all I find are articles that go on about how it's completely fine with letting bearded dragons out of their cage for a set time. My issue is the opposite: I want to know if there's a limit to how long they stay inside their cage before boredom and such kicks in. He doesn't scratch or "run up the wall", but are there other things I need to look for?

Attachments

• Safi pic 2.jpeg
    Safi pic 2.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey guys,

Rookie bearded dragon owner, again showing his worries about if he's being a good parent to Safi, the Beardie in question. He's just recently turned a year old, and he is my baby. I spoil him rotten, but make sure to do so in ways that don't violate the beardie safety rules. But I digress.

So, due to working two different jobs, I am rarely home during the day, thus don't usually take my Beardie out of his cage all that often. My jobs are usually teaching (as a sub) during the day, or working at a liquor store most afternoons to late evenings. Sometimes though, I can be working both jobs in a single day. Sun up to sun down.

When that happens, I make sure he has his food before I leave for work, I clean up the debris in his cage when it gets a bit grungy when I am able, and I try to take him out of his cage on the days I do have off and let him run around a bit. He has his lights set on a timer, and if I am gone the whole day, I do make sure he gets crickets or worms at a set time from someone else that is able to feed him in my absence.

Maybe it's just me worrying over nothing, but there have been stretches of time where I have not been able to let him out of his cage to just wander around for a bit at all. He can spend entire days in his cage, with just his food dish being replaced as needed every morning and evening. I give brief "Hello Safi!" talks when I get home, but don't have time to play, if that makes sense.

My question is this: Am I in danger of leaving him in his cage for too long? I deeply care for him, and I worry constantly that I'm leaving him in the cage for too long. He seems to wander around it just fine without issue, but again, I worry. He might not be bonding with me the same way I have bonded with him.
How big is Safi's tank? They get used to not coming out and its good your spending time w/ him when you are home--- He needs floor space in his tank so if hes got a big enough tank we recommend 75-120 gallon or a 4x2x2 tank

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
full

Here is a picture of his cage. I don't know the exact size, but it's the one he came with from the store (Pisces Pet Emporium)
It looks like a 40 gallon tank and hes outgrown it -- I would invest in a 4x2x2 tank that is a 120 gallon tank and please tell me what your using for a UVB I see all domes -- are you using a regular coil UVB or does one of those domes have MVB in it ? heat / uvb combo?

ColeDWestin

Original Poster
It looks like a 40 gallon tank and hes outgrown it -- I would invest in a 4x2x2 tank that is a 120 gallon tank and please tell me what your using for a UVB I see all domes -- are you using a regular coil UVB or does one of those domes have MVB in it ? heat / uvb combo?
Alright. As soon as I’m able, I’ll look around for a bigger cage.

Left bulb is a Zoo Med 150 W basking lightbulb. Middle is a ceramic heat emitter 100 W. Right is a Repti Sun UVB 10 coiled bulb. The temperatures in the cage are 110, 95 and 90-85 respectively (basking, warm and cool areas) Pictures of lights below.

1637681963980.jpeg
1637682197084.jpeg

1637682238749.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Alright. As soon as I’m able, I’ll look around for a bigger cage.

Left bulb is a Zoo Med 150 W basking lightbulb. Middle is a ceramic heat emitter 100 W. Right is a Repti Sun UVB 10 coiled bulb. The temperatures in the cage are 110, 95 and 90-85 respectively (basking, warm and cool areas) Pictures of lights below.

View attachment 65460 View attachment 65461
View attachment 65462
Please get rid of the coil UVB they are no good --- at this time your dragon is getting little to NO UVB ------ please replace w/ one of these ASAP- this will go right into a new tank you can look on Craigslist or FB Marketplace if you find a tank one w/ front doors is the best please sanitize it real good like w/ some Zoo Meds Wipe Out or Rescue or some F 10 found on Walmarts website or Amazon
here are some options for UVB's these needs to be done before anything else
24" fixture Zoo Med Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you need a 22" Reptisun bulb for a 40+ gallon tank
Arcadia Pro T 5 you need the 12% bulb Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
or this one Sunblaster Nano Tech SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp
when you get the UVB please let me know so I can help you place it in the tank they have certain distance and placement depending on the screen
Cool side of the tank should be in the 80's during the day --- temps for a adult / juvie dragon 95-100 surface basking temp - 90's middle of tank ambient -- please use a digital probe thermometer for basking temps

ColeDWestin

Original Poster
Please get rid of the coil UVB they are no good --- at this time your dragon is getting little to NO UVB ------ please replace w/ one of these ASAP- this will go right into a new tank you can look on Craigslist or FB Marketplace if you find a tank one w/ front doors is the best please sanitize it real good like w/ some Zoo Meds Wipe Out or Rescue or some F 10 found on Walmarts website or Amazon
here are some options for UVB's these needs to be done before anything else
24" fixture Zoo Med Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you need a 22" Reptisun bulb for a 40+ gallon tank
Arcadia Pro T 5 you need the 12% bulb Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
or this one Sunblaster Nano Tech SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp
when you get the UVB please let me know so I can help you place it in the tank they have certain distance and placement depending on the screen
Cool side of the tank should be in the 80's during the day --- temps for a adult / juvie dragon 95-100 surface basking temp - 90's middle of tank ambient -- please use a digital probe thermometer for basking temps
Update

Just finished putting together a brand new cage (From 40 to now 120 Gallon), and took both your advice and the advice of one of the lizard experts at Pisces Pet Emporium. He's got his basking area, a nice cooler spot if he needs it, the SunBlaster is all set up so he's getting UVB wherever he goes, and now plenty of extra space to explore.

I didn't even have to help him into the cage -- he literally ran right in and climbed the new log! :D

Attachments

• Safi New Cage.jpg
    Safi New Cage.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 171

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Update

Just finished putting together a brand new cage (From 40 to now 120 Gallon), and took both your advice and the advice of one of the lizard experts at Pisces Pet Emporium. He's got his basking area, a nice cooler spot if he needs it, the SunBlaster is all set up so he's getting UVB wherever he goes, and now plenty of extra space to explore.

I didn't even have to help him into the cage -- he literally ran right in and climbed the new log! :D
Ok thats great make sure that screen is a wide hole type if its a fine screen hes not going to get enough UVB --- you make haft to lower the big tall log and get your UVB so its not unobstructed - distance for a T 5 is 12-15 inches inside or NO screen and 8-10 inches w/ screen
If you get tired of cleaning and changing the sand mat go w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Walmart or your local home improvement center

ColeDWestin

Original Poster
Ok thats great make sure that screen is a wide hole type if its a fine screen hes not going to get enough UVB --- you make haft to lower the big tall log and get your UVB so its not unobstructed - distance for a T 5 is 12-15 inches inside or NO screen and 8-10 inches w/ screen
If you get tired of cleaning and changing the sand mat go w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Walmart or your local home improvement center
I'll make the adjustments, and all should be well.

Thanks for the assistance. Safi thanks you especially so. :D

ColeDWestin

Original Poster
Update:

Safi seems to be adjusting to his new environment, but now it seems like he's stopped eating, and is constantly hiding either under the log or in his cave. Doesn't want to be picked up, and he hasn't pooped in a while (mostly because he's not eating)

Is it possibly brumation? Or should I consider taking him to the vet?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Update:

Safi seems to be adjusting to his new environment, but now it seems like he's stopped eating, and is constantly hiding either under the log or in his cave. Doesn't want to be picked up, and he hasn't pooped in a while (mostly because he's not eating)

Is it possibly brumation? Or should I consider taking him to the vet?
Hes going thru the slowing down phase --- is it winter where you are? Is he doing alot of sleeping? Mine have slowed down to not eating as much if at all and are really lazy not going thru the full brumation but still moving around and basking not really eating alot - they will do this just keep an eye on him watch his behavior offer water every 10 days or so keep track of the weight weigh now and then again in a month or so weigh on a kitchen food scale weigh in grams - date it so you know whats going on w/ that weight ---

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom