Bearded dragon health

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It looks like it's gone back to normal for now. As karrie mentioned , it's critical to have good uvb bulbs but sadly the stores sell the coil + compacts for cheaper or they sell them with a " kit " and they aren't strong enough for most reptiles. For now get him in the sun every day, he can't move fast so you can sit in the grass with him for a hour or so every day.

All of his health problems are from lack of uvb, as well as the female that died before she could lay eggs. One thing you mentioned that is concerning, that he flew against the door when the car driver turned a corner. How did that happen ? I see people posting pics of beardies on dashboards and it's so unsafe.

Mona

Original Poster
It looks like it's gone back to normal for now. As karrie mentioned , it's critical to have good uvb bulbs but sadly the stores sell the coil + compacts for cheaper or they sell them with a " kit " and they aren't strong enough for most reptiles. For now get him in the sun every day, he can't move fast so you can sit in the grass with him for a hour or so every day.

All of his health problems are from lack of uvb, as well as the female that died before she could lay eggs. One thing you mentioned that is concerning, that he flew against the door when the car driver turned a corner. How did that happen ? I see people posting pics of beardies on dashboards and it's so unsafe.
We were in the backseat and the driver without warning, made the turn too quick. I checked him all around and he moved to my side but had dragged towards me. He is slowly moving his back legs

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Did he have trouble with his legs right after incident in the car ? Or was it happening before that ? But yeah, keep getting him in the sun and offer good greens if he'll eat them.

Mona

Original Poster
Did he have trouble with his legs right after incident in the car ? Or was it happening before that ? But yeah, keep getting him in the sun and offer good greens if he'll eat them.
I recall his legs spasm before but that was the first day he began dragging his legs

Mona

Original Poster

Attachments

• 20220805_184701.jpg
    20220805_184701.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 59

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, I totally agree that he has most likely hurt himself, as their spines are very vulnerable
to injury because they are so long & don't have any discs in between.
Is he not able to support himself very well right now? I would lower his basking area so he doesn't
have to climb up to bask in case he is hurting right now. Has his beard been darker in color?
If he has injured his spine area, that can definitely affect his ability to go to the bathroom, too.
Try to keep him as calm as you can so he can try to heal up & rest. Are you going to be taking
him to the vet?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Mona

Original Poster
I am happy to say he's getting better. I haven't been able to take him to a vet but as of late he's been moving more and given him sun for an hour and he is moving his hind legs and above all, he's pooping more and his rear closes. He did ate a small yarn (1nch) and gave him lots of green and dab of olive oil. But he's eating more too
16623194299812978488388332316107.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
In honest opinion, does he look healthy?
Hes 4 years old in November
View attachment 74232
He looks ok to me - but you can never truly tell from the outside unless its really obvious -- I am glad hes doing better the good UVB outside I am sure is helping him -- so glad shes using the back legs again too- are you sure its a male? He looks small to me but that could be just me --

Mona

Original Poster
I asked an expert who takes care of Vader and I saw him on accident doing it >///<
I have noticed his pads on his head is smaller than before so I'm giving him more water through plastic pipette

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I asked an expert who takes care of Vader and I saw him on accident doing it >///<
I have noticed his pads on his head is smaller than before so I'm giving him more water through plastic pipette
Ok then :)

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom