Bearded dragon hasn't pooped in almost 2 weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
My Lil hercules, hasn't pooped in almost 2 weeks and I'm a bit worried. She has been having diarrhea though.

her temps are
35-40c it never gets up to 40 but it gets close.

She has also been glass surfing for the past 3 days, I've let her out and she just sits there and looks at me and if I pick her up and shes next to her cage she'll just go in and glass surf again. I have bathed her but she didn't poop.

EDIT: She did eat a bit of caramel popcorn around a week ago, I didn't see it on my table until she ate it. I did get her to eat some activated charcoal though.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, activated charcoal can cause diahrea because it has to help expel the " toxin" [ caramel popcorn not really dangerous but would also cause upset tummy ]

But 2 weeks w/out poo is no big deal at all, very common. If you want to help her poo you can give any or all of these : baby food sweet potato, squash green bean or prunes, a few big drops of olive oil or raw honey. Applesauce or canned pumpkin can also do the trick. Then the next day give a warmer than usual bath. Eventually Hercules will poo, just be patient.

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":xls3yre4 said:
Hi there, activated charcoal can cause diahrea because it has to help expel the " toxin" [ caramel popcorn not really dangerous but would also cause upset tummy ]

But 2 weeks w/out poo is no big deal at all, very common. If you want to help her poo you can give any or all of these : baby food sweet potato, squash green bean or prunes, a few big drops of olive oil or raw honey. Applesauce or canned pumpkin can also do the trick. Then the next day give a warmer than usual bath. Eventually Hercules will poo, just be patient.

Okay, thank you. though she was having diarrhea before I gave her the activated charcoal and she just hasn't pooped after she ate the popcorn.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What has she been eating ? And was it a solid poo with lots of water or was it straight liquidy type ? It's actually pretty helpful to post pics of the poo when you can, sometimes what someone thinks is bad is actually within the normal range of consistency.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Hi, welcome, and yes, 2 weeks without a poop isn't a huge deal, but in this case I would worry only because of the popcorn hulls. As AHBD wisely mentioned, a lot of the time people think that a poop looks "bad" and they get worried about possible parasites or other health issues, when actually the poop was just "runny" do to excess hydration from a lot of greens/veggies or fruit, or a hornworm, or some other new insect or commercially-sold "Bearded Dragon Food" was given to them, etc.

As far as not pooping for 2 weeks, did he stop pooping right after you gave him the popcorn? I would seriously not ever give him popcorn again, as it's one of the most difficult things for a lot of species to properly digest, or digest at all, including human beings. Some people, animals, reptiles, and even birds (who have crops and gizzards to grind up very hard seeds and seed shells) cannot digest popcorn at all due to the hulls. If you gave him the popcorn and it was at that point that he stopped having any bowel movements at all, I'd bet the house that the popcorn has caused an impaction due to the hulls. I understand it was an accident that he ate it, but just be careful, as the hulls could even get stuck in his throat or beard, and cause a host of problems.

As for using Activated Charcoal, I'm very impressed that you have it in your house, just in-case, that's an excellent idea, and anyone who has any pets at all, whether dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, etc. should always keep a bottle of Activated Charcoal in their "Pet First Aid Kit". However, Activated Charcoal is only to be given if they ingest a toxin or a poison, or something that could cause an allergic reaction, etc. Popcorn isn't poisonous or toxic, it's just extremely difficult for them to digest and can cause an impaction, and the Activated Charcoal wouldn't help with that. Just as an FYI for the future, the only thing that Activated Charcoal does is it absorbs any poison or toxin that they might ingest while it's still in their stomach, before the poison/toxin is absorbed into their bloodstream. So if he was to eat any type of poison like bug spray, rodent spray, any type of poisonous or toxic plant or plant that was sprayed with insecticide, any type of poisonous insect, like a FireFly or a poisonous spider or a Yellow Jacket or Wasp, a poisonous salamander, newt, or frog, or a cleaning product or anything that contain any harmful chemicals, like bleach, Ammonia, any bathroom cleaners, floor cleaners, etc. And it has to be given to them very soon after they swallow the substance, while it's still inside their stomach and before it's absorbed into their blood stream. The Activated Charcoal will absorb all of the poison/toxin/chemical and carry it through their GI Tract and they excrete it, and yes, it does usually cause extremely runny stools. Unfortunately though, Activated Charcoal will not help if they eat something like Popcorn, seed shells or nut shells, or any type of physical substance that poses not a chemical/poisonous issue but rather a choking or bowel impaction/obstruction issue. It can't absorb the Popcorn hulls and carry them out...

Has he pooped yet? If not, how long has it been at this point? Has he had any black beard, or has he been straining to poop at all, like when he's in the warm bath water? If he hasn't yet pooped since he ate the popcorn, I would definitely start an impaction-protocol ASAP, the sooner you get the Laxative Slurry in him and then get him under his lights after he eats it, the sooner he'll start to pass the impaction. Also, if he hasn't pooped yet at this point, I would avoid feeding him any solid insects such as crickets, roaches, superworms, etc. and only give him his fresh greens/veggies, maybe a piece of high-fluid fruit, such as a little fresh apple or watermelon, and maybe a small hornworm, wax worm, butterworm, or BSFL. But you don't want to put a bunch of solid food in his GI Tract to just sit there, he needs lots of fluids, and this is when it's okay to give him a bit of watery fruit to try to help pass the impaction.

If you haven't already, start oral syringe-feeding him a Laxative Slurry made up of a jar of Prune Baby Food, plain, raw, canned pumpkin (not "pumpkin pie mix", just buy a can of raw, plain pumpkin that you'll find either in with the canned vegetable or in the baking ingredients aisle at any grocery store or Walmart, usually that's where the canned, raw pumpkin is, it's on the bottom shelf underneath the cans of pie filling, just buy a small can), and then also a bottle of unflavored Pedialyte or the generic store-brand version. Empty the entire jar of the Prune Baby Food into a microwave-safe container, then add 2-3 tablespoons of the plain, raw, canned pumpkin into the Prune Baby Food, and then mix this up very well. Then add enough of the unflavored Pedialyte to the slurry so that it's thin enough to be used in an oral syringe. ***(You can use just water instead of the unflavored Pedialyte, but the reason I ALWAYS use the unflavored Pedialyte instead of water is that they typically have very runny bowel movements when they finally pass the impaction and then after for a few days, and they lose a lot of fluids while they're going through this, so by using the unflavored Pedialyte in the Laxative Slurries instead of just using water, you're helping tremendously to keep him hydrated even though he'll be losing a lot of his fluid).

After you mix the jar of Prune Baby Food, the 2-3 tablespoons of the plain, raw, canned pumpkin, and the unflavored Pedialyte together very, very well, I microwave it for 30 seconds, mix it up again very, very well, then microwave it again for another 30 seconds, then mix it once more very, very well. I've found that they like the taste and will lick a lot more of the Laxative Slurry off their snout if it's warmed. Test it on your wrist so that you know it's pretty warm but not at all "hot", and then drip it on his snout and see if he'll lick it off, and if he will then continue to drip it on his snout until he stops licking it off. The more of the Laxative Slurry you can get into him the better. If he totally refuses to lick any of it off or only very little of it off, as some dragons will not lick any of it off, then you'll need to insert the tip of the oral syringe in-between his teeth and keep it there, if the tip of the oral syringe is in-between his teeth he cannot shut his mouth, and you can then just push a little of the Laxative Slurry into his mouth, let him chew/swallow it, then push a little more, let him swallow, push a little more, etc., until you get at least 3ml/cc of it in him.

After he's done taking the Laxative Slurry, put him on his Basking Spot/Platform and let him bask under his UVB tube and his Basking Bulb for at least 2-3 hours. Then you can try once again giving him a warmer-than-normal bath. Do not make the water hot, but you do want to make it warmer than his usual baths are, because the warm water is what stimulates them to try to have a bowel movement when their vents are sitting in it. ****Another thing that will help him to be able to poop is the more he swims around and moves his back legs. So try to encourage him to swim in the warm water as much as possible, you do this by passively moving him through the warm water, moving his back end back and forth throughout the warm water. Also make the bath a bit deeper than you usually do so that he will instinctively swim more, but DO NOT MAKE THE WATER DEEPER THAN THE LEVEL OF HIS SHOULDERS OR TO THE POINT THAT HE CANNOT STAND UP ON ALL 4 FEET, AND DO NOT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF OF HIM WHILE HE'S IN THE BATH! If he doesn't go within 15-20 minutes max then he's not going to and you should take him out.

Usually it takes at least 2 feedings of the Laxative Slurry for them to go, so if he doesn't go in the first bath, then warm up the slurry again in the microwave and feed him at least another 3ml/cc of it, then allow him to bask again for at least 1-2 hours before lights out for bed. The next morning turn his lights on normally, let him bask under them for at least 1-2 hours, and then feed him a third Laxative Slurry, them again allow him to bask for at least another 1-2 hours, and then do another warmer-than-average bath, and this is usually when they will pass the impaction. Do not be surprised if you see him straining to go a bit before it actually happens, and don't be alarmed if he black-beards while he's passing it, this is normal. He may also only pass a small portion of the impaction (depending on how much Popcorn he ate), and he may need another Laxative slurry and another warmer-than-average bath to pass the entire impaction...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Actually I have to respectfully disagree 100% that the popcorn would have any effect on his pooping. An adult [ or even much younger ] dragon eat crickets, dubias + other insects in huge quantities and poo regularly. A piece of popcorn [ unless it was a lot ] would be a drop in the bucket compared to all the chitin + legs + bug parts ! So if she is not pooing, as we look through the threads this time of year you will see a good amount of " not pooping " questions that are very similar. It's the time of year and it's also just a frequent question.....and I did mention the " laxatives " that work and have been working here for years already. :)

But the popcorn will have no effect on an adult, sub adult or juvenile dragon.

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":jubqqy5q said:
Actually I have to respectfully disagree 100% that the popcorn would have any effect on his pooping. An adult [ or even much younger ] dragon eat crickets, dubias + other insects in huge quantities and poo regularly. A piece of popcorn [ unless it was a lot ] would be a drop in the bucket compared to all the chitin + legs + bug parts ! So if she is not pooing, as we look through the threads this time of year you will see a good amount of " not pooping " questions that are very similar. It's the time of year and it's also just a frequent question.....and I did mention the " laxatives " that work and have been working here for years already. :)

But the popcorn will have no effect on an adult, sub adult or juvenile dragon.

it was only a quarter of a piece of popcorn that had broken off a bigger piece.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How much of the charcoal did you give her ? Instead of causing loose stools it may bind her up a bit. Was it crushed /powdery ? Be careful and only use it if she's eaten something toxic .

Anyway she should be fine. Just try some of the things that I mentioned to help her poo. You haven't had her for too long have you ? What was she eating before ?

TheBeardedSaint

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":vhpnl4q7 said:
How much of the charcoal did you give her ? Instead of causing loose stools it may bind her up a bit. Was it crushed /powdery ? Be careful and only use it if she's eaten something toxic .

Anyway she should be fine. Just try some of the things that I mentioned to help her poo. You haven't had her for too long have you ? What was she eating before ?

I've had her for 2 years.

I feed her
Sweet pepper, Romaine Lettuce, bok choy, baby carrots peeled, butternut squash, kale, rocket, Dandelion greens, and sometimes cress and some berries.

I didn't get much activated charcoal in her, maybe 1-2 bits crushed up.

I give her a wide range of life food but mostly it's woodies, the other ones I give her are superworms and calci worms but not that often, though I'm planning on breeding bsf so she may get them a lot more.

The only reason I gave her the charcoal was because it was caramel popcorn and I didn't know whether caramel was toxic or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom