Bearded Dragon has swollen left foot and ankle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

octopus123

Hello,
I have a 2.5-year-old bearded dragon who has struggled with liver disease in the past. He's healthy now, but I've recently noticed that his left ankle and toe are super swollen and puffy. He lets me examine him and touch the swelling, and it's soft and squishy. He puts weight on it and is walking fine, running, and eating normally. He still enjoys exploring and getting picked up, but I don't know if I should take him to the veterinarian. He gets calcium powder every day with his veggies, and calcium powder with d3 in it once a week. There's nothing in his terrarium that he could have got caught on, so I'm not sure if the swelling is something serious or not. I've noticed it for a couple of days, but he's acting completely happy and normal. Could it be a fatty deposit?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello,
I have a 2.5-year-old bearded dragon who has struggled with liver disease in the past. He's healthy now, but I've recently noticed that his left ankle and toe are super swollen and puffy. He lets me examine him and touch the swelling, and it's soft and squishy. He puts weight on it and is walking fine, running, and eating normally. He still enjoys exploring and getting picked up, but I don't know if I should take him to the veterinarian. He gets calcium powder every day with his veggies, and calcium powder with d3 in it once a week. There's nothing in his terrarium that he could have got caught on, so I'm not sure if the swelling is something serious or not. I've noticed it for a couple of days, but he's acting completely happy and normal. Could it be a fatty deposit?
Not sure can you post pic of him please -- and go over the basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? No stick ons please also the UVB you are using is it a coil or a tube ? If its a tube what brand and bulb and where do you have it in the tank?

octopus123

Original Poster
Screenshot 2021-12-17 8.12.00 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2021-12-17 8.12.17 PM.jpg

Hi
His basking temperature is about 98 to 107 and I'm taking them through a probe thermometer that hangs near the basking light, which is from ZooMed. The UVB is a 10.00 with 26 watts and is also for ZooMed... he got a new light two weeks ago because I change it every six months. It is a coil and it hangs above his hammock in a ceramic dome from about 6-8 inches and is on from 6:00 am to 7:30. He's always had that same type of UVB bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
View attachment 65979 View attachment 65980
Hi
His basking temperature is about 98 to 107 and I'm taking them through a probe thermometer that hangs near the basking light, which is from ZooMed. The UVB is a 10.00 with 26 watts and is also for ZooMed... he got a new light two weeks ago because I change it every six months. It is a coil and it hangs above his hammock in a ceramic dome from about 6-8 inches and is on from 6:00 am to 7:30. He's always had that same type of UVB bulb.
Ok so the coil is ok but I do recommend a long tube fixture --- if you decide to change it in the next 5 months please post on here and I can post some good UVB's --- I am not hot on coils seen to many issues w/ them -- the basking temps need the probe placed on the spot he sits for basking that will give you accurate temps -- what are you feeding for insects? The hammock is a good one to cause this issue - its possible he has gotten a nail caught in it and pulled --- the UVB is going to help heal this they are extremely important for all around health -- the hammock is it a green mesh type? If it is I recommend a cloth or a fleece hammock www.pamperbeardies.com or www.etsy.com
Info on the coils
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You mentioned that the swelling came on a bit suddenly? I would think it would either be insufficient UVB & poor calcium absorption
or possibly gout. I agree with Karrie that it would be a good idea to upgrade to a tube bulb for a better UVB exposure for him.
To be proactive, you can add some black or tart cherry juice to help with uric acid deposition if that is part of the problem.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom