Bearded dragon has diarrhea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
Hey everyone! I know that this topic has been discussed often but I'm just too worried about it. My male beardie Patches seems to be having diarrhea of some sort. He poops every 2-4 days.

I've only had him for a little over a week now, so I don't know if I'm worrying too much and that it could be the rehoming stress or that there's something more serious.

He's been a little sleepy the last mornings but in the afternoon he's active, basking, climbing and hanging out at his cool spots.

He's a little picky with his greens but he eats his crickets like a champ. No loss of appetite or anything. I've never seen him drink out of his bowl but I've bathed him a few times and his urate seems fine to me.

I think I've got him from a reliable breeder so I don't know if I should be afraid of parasites or not.

I'm a first time keeper so I'm extra worried :(
Any help, tips and tricks are more than welcome.

I'm sorry for any grammatical mistakes, English isn't my first language :)

I've attached pics of his gross poop, his happy little self and his setup. I hope it helps!

Attachments

• 20220405_194847.jpg
    20220405_194847.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 20220329_143316.jpg
    20220329_143316.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 79
  • 20220329_192740.jpg
    20220329_192740.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG-20220405-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220405-WA0004.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 79

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Hello,
What does he eat? What is his temperature on his cool and basking spot? What color is his urate? It is supposed to be either white or yellow. What is the light set up? Please no coils. What is his tank size?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey everyone! I know that this topic has been discussed often but I'm just too worried about it. My male beardie Patches seems to be having diarrhea of some sort. He poops every 2-4 days.

I've only had him for a little over a week now, so I don't know if I'm worrying too much and that it could be the rehoming stress or that there's something more serious.

He's been a little sleepy the last mornings but in the afternoon he's active, basking, climbing and hanging out at his cool spots.

He's a little picky with his greens but he eats his crickets like a champ. No loss of appetite or anything. I've never seen him drink out of his bowl but I've bathed him a few times and his urate seems fine to me.

I think I've got him from a reliable breeder so I don't know if I should be afraid of parasites or not.

I'm a first time keeper so I'm extra worried :(
Any help, tips and tricks are more than welcome.

I'm sorry for any grammatical mistakes, English isn't my first language :)

I've attached pics of his gross poop, his happy little self and his setup. I hope it helps!
Other than a little watery which is good the poop looks ok -- basking temps are key here - what are they and how are you taking them? A digital probe thermometer is what you want for actual basking temps - and your UVB looks good too - distance should be 12-15 inches for a T 5 and 6-8 inches for a T 8 -- directly over your basking decor

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
Hello,
What does he eat? What is his temperature on his cool and basking spot? What color is his urate? It is supposed to be either white or yellow. What is the light set up? Please no coils. What is his tank size?
He's eating chicory and romaine salad with the occasional carrots shavings and bell pepper(cut that out the last few days because I thought that I might gave him too much which caused the upset stomach). Sometimes he also gets a little basil (he loves that.) Every two days he gets about 20 mid or big sized crickets.

Temps are about 27-30 °c on cool side, down to 24-26 in his hides and 30-36 on warm side. Basking spot gets up to 43 °c but he moves a little down if it's too hot for him, but I've seen him bask and gape directly under so he seems to be fine with that :)

His urate is white, you can also see it on the pic, I think it looks right.

Lights are a 75watt lucky reptile halogen sun, and a zoomed reptisun 10.0 T5 that goes through the entire tank.

Tank size is 150x80x80 cm which is about 59" x 31" x31" I think?

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
Other than a little watery which is good the poop looks ok -- basking temps are key here - what are they and how are you taking them? A digital probe thermometer is what you want for actual basking temps - and your UVB looks good too - distance should be 12-15 inches for a T 5 and 6-8 inches for a T 8 -- directly over your basking decor
I take Temps with a digital probe thermometer and I have a temp gun which I use to have the exact Temps in a specific spot. I also have a digital stick on but I only use that to monitor humidity.

He spends alot of time climbing around and sitting on the back wall and the distance to his basking spot should be fine :)

I was just worried because I looked at pictures and read that his poop should be solid and not splatters like that! And it's been going on the past days now :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, his stool has a bit of water to it but, that is normal to an extent. Are you giving any fruit for
him? Excess fruit can cause a looser than usual stool. What type of greens are you giving?

Tracie

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
Hello,

I agree, his stool has a bit of water to it but, that is normal to an extent. Are you giving any fruit for
him? Excess fruit can cause a looser than usual stool. What type of greens are you giving?

Tracie
No I didn't give him any fruits yet, but maybe a little too much red bell pepper. But I cut that out as I saw the runny poop because I thought maybe that would be the problem...he still had runny poop after tho.

I feed him chicory, endive, romaine salad and the occasional carrot shavings.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No I didn't give him any fruits yet, but maybe a little too much red bell pepper. But I cut that out as I saw the runny poop because I thought maybe that would be the problem...he still had runny poop after tho.

I feed him chicory, endive, romaine salad and the occasional carrot shavings.
Are you getting temps w/ a digital probe thermometer? I see the one on the left side of the tank -- You want surface basking temps -- here is a website for nutrition Nutrition Content
Kale is a great staple feeder -- its good you cut the red pepper out they can cause real watery stools - try mixing some it up for greens and see what happens

Zaargo

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Patches
Are you getting temps w/ a digital probe thermometer? I see the one on the left side of the tank -- You want surface basking temps -- here is a website for nutrition Nutrition Content
Kale is a great staple feeder -- its good you cut the red pepper out they can cause real watery stools - try mixing some it up for greens and see what happens
Yup there's one on the left, but I only use that for measuring humidity :) you can see the probe hanging where the fake plant is, I use that to monitor the overall temperature and a temperature gun to have exact temperatures (also for humans but it has an extra setting for surface temps.)

Fresh kale is almost impossible to find around here, so I thought endive is the best option, is that correct? I read that it has good nutrition :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yup there's one on the left, but I only use that for measuring humidity :) you can see the probe hanging where the fake plant is, I use that to monitor the overall temperature and a temperature gun to have exact temperatures (also for humans but it has an extra setting for surface temps.)

Fresh kale is almost impossible to find around here, so I thought endive is the best option, is that correct? I read that it has good nutrition :)
Yes endive is good--- I thought maybe mixing the greens up might help-- to me the poop looks good-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom