Bearded dragon eggs Please HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassieW

Hey, my name is Cassie & I was wondering if somebody could possibly help me?? So My beardie has been with a male at the beginning of September & they did there thing, but I separated them because I know they can’t live in the same tank together. But then on October 12th she had her 1st clutch of 34 eggs, but they weren’t good is what I was totally, the person that told me said (“usually the 1st clutch is good”)? I don’t know if that’s true or not but that’s what they told me.. but in the early morning on November 1st she had her 2nd clutches of 31 eggs & I have them in an incubator with vermiculite & everything but I’m not sure if there good or not?? I REALLY want them to be good 😌 , I’m hoping & pray they are.. please

Attachments

• 0EC3909E-4732-4FB5-B5A2-2A8655E66571.jpeg
    0EC3909E-4732-4FB5-B5A2-2A8655E66571.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 177
  • AA7C7B49-17E8-4342-B9C8-0551FAAC14AC.jpeg
    AA7C7B49-17E8-4342-B9C8-0551FAAC14AC.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 2EC4F6EF-5C8B-4F00-B419-689DA98FEA3E.jpeg
    2EC4F6EF-5C8B-4F00-B419-689DA98FEA3E.jpeg
    408 KB · Views: 157
  • D20723DC-35B0-4000-82F8-EA10272ECB0D.jpeg
    D20723DC-35B0-4000-82F8-EA10272ECB0D.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 147
  • A8C504F4-976A-464D-9FD7-014BAB1400E4.jpeg
    A8C504F4-976A-464D-9FD7-014BAB1400E4.jpeg
    372.4 KB · Views: 152

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, the eggs are too discolored by the substrate to see clearly. I do see that some of them are mostly plump but sagging just a bit. If they were very deflated looking they would def. be duds. A rule of thumb is to give them a chance because it doesn't hurt to incubate them. If they are bad, then you will eventually see it.

Last edited:

CassieW

Original Poster
Hi there, the eggs are too discolored by the substrate to see clearly. I do see that some of them are mostly plump but sagging just a bit. If they were very deflated looking they would def. be duds. A rule of thumb is to give them a chance because it doesn't hurt to incubate them. If they are bad, then you will eventually see it.
Oh okay, thank you guys for replying I appreciate it. This is my 1st time with eggs, i’ve googled a lot about it but I wanted to actually talk to somebody, you know? Is there a way I can maybe wipe them off or something like that without hurting them or anything ? & do you know if different breeds of bearded dragons lay different eggs or a different colored eggs or are they all the same for all bearded dragons? Sorry if that’s a stupid question lol

adapa

My female beardie laid her first clutch last spring. I got about 15 babies from 30 eggs.
Have you heard about candling? Take the plumpest & cream color egg gently lift it up, keeping the orientation stable (up is up ;) ) slide a phone flashlight under the egg so u can see through the egg. You should see veins and a pinkish color if they're futile
I'll echo what @AHBD said tho, there seems to be a few in there that are not viable.
I would not wipe them with anything- just let them be. The dud's in my clutch eventually started to mold- and caved in. the duds were not plump

Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Fertile eggs will continue to get more plump, not always drastically but should be able to tell. Here are some of mine from years ago :

What do you use in the laybox, I've seen where people used coco fiber and it makes the eggs real dirty like yours are. I used either sand or a topsoil/sand mix for the laybox which is much better and the eggs don't get stained. Good job on the vermiculite though, that's generally the best for incubation. You can cut some holes in the lid and wipe away any excess condensation that might gather so it doesn't drip on the eggs.

As adapa mentioned, you can " candle" some but it's best to wait a week or two to get a better idea, by then there will be tiny veins starting to branch out from a small pink circle. If you pick one up, put it back in the exact position it was in.

CassieW

Original Poster
I used potting soil & vermiculite mixed together with a lot water were it wasn’t soaked or anything, & thank you

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That can mean that they're infertile but it can also be from too much humidity or water dripping on them from the lid. The substrate coating them probably accelerates it. Can you post pics of them ? BTW, I re-read your first where I was trying to figure out if you wrote that someone told you that the first clutch is usually infertile, [ if that's what you meant ] if so , that's just a myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom