Bearded Dragon doesn't have an appetite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 3 month old baby beardie from Petsmart about two weeks ago. (This is not the best place to buy animals from I know, but this baby seemed to be so active in his habitat. I thought he seemed healthy enough, and didn't want to pass him up.) So far I think he has been mostly healthy. He spends the majority of his time basking, but he still occasionally runs around and has been pooping every day.

To give you all an idea of my set up, he is in a 40 gallon terrarium with reptile carpet, two fake trees ( A large one under his heat lamp, and a small one on the cool side of his terrarium), and a small water dish. Temperatures in his basking spot range from 103 - to 108 degrees Fahrenheit, and he has an 22" 10.0 Reptisun UVB Light inside his terrarium. Humidity usually ranges from 30 - 45%.

I have been offering him a mixture of phoenix worms and crickets 2-3 times a day. He will only eat 2 phoenix worms before he decides he doesn't want to eat anymore. He seems much more enthusiastic about eating crickets, but he does not really hunt them. Instead, he tends to wait for crickets to venture close to his basking spot before gulping them down. I offer him veggies daily, but he doesn't touch em.

By my count, he is only eating 10-18 feeders a day, and I am concerned that is not enough. Most online sources I have read state that he should eat 20-50 insects a day. Is there anything I can do to encourage him to hunt more, or is he fine with what he is doing? I have thought about either getting him an appetite stimulant, or putting him in a separate smaller terrarium for his feedings.

I appreciate any and all responses.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hes going thru relocation stress--- give him time its good hes eating - take those phoenix worms and add them to the tops of his salad- do this in front of him every morning before feeding the crickets - once he acclimates to the tank and surroundings his appetite will pick up -- your UVB where do you have it placed this is very important

cptndunsel

Original Poster
KarrieRee":njg0xw4e said:
your UVB where do you have it placed this is very important

The UVB strip is set up on the right side of his cage, on the side that he likes to bask. The light fixture itself is about 7 inches from his basking spot by my measurements.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok make sure distance is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor

cptndunsel

Original Poster
Ok make sure distance is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor

I cannot really put the UVB fixture any further from his decor without changing my whole setup. The fixture I am using does not have a reflector. Does that factor into how far it should be at all?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So your uvb is 7 inches from decor? That is too close for a T 5- but no reflector it could stay there I am thinking but we need to find out for sure - usually I recommend a reflector-- can you post a pic please of your tank and lighting that would help a lot

cptndunsel

Original Poster
can you post a pic please of your tank and lighting that would help a lot

full

110388-8072875766_large.jpg

Sorry for the poor angles. I took these just before bed time, so I removed his water and veggie dish.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get some more decor pieces --- your tank looks really bare-- take the tree decor piece move it so its under the UVB - measure the distance from the decor piece to the UVB --- if its 12 inches its good up to 15-- I would get a hood w/ a reflector or order one from here thats going to reflect the rays downward toward him -- http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/miscellaneous-accessories/arcadia-flourescent-lamp-reflectors-new-hot/
What are your basking temps? I see only a stick on and they are in accurate for basking temps at this point your only getting ambient temps---- these two things we are talking about are the two most important things in the tank ----- they control the overall health and behavior of your dragon --

cptndunsel

Original Poster
full

So I have made some adjustments. The distance between his new basking spot and the UVB is roughly 11 inches by my measurement. I also added a reflector into the fixture, so please let me know what you think of this distance. His basking temp was also 105 degrees celcius. (I have a thermogun.)

My concern now, is that I think he still associates the rock & tree decor with his basking spot, but I imagine he will adjust. Please let me know what you think.

Please get some more decor pieces --- your tank looks really bare-- take the tree decor piece move it so its under the UVB - measure the distance from the decor piece to the UVB --- if its 12 inches its good up to 15-- I would get a hood w/ a reflector or order one from here thats going to reflect the rays downward toward him

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok so see how it goes ---- he should start to go to his basking area -- if there is still a issue post back on here so we can figure something else

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok invest in a digital probe thermometer please- the IR gun is good but it's good to have another gauge on hand some times IR guns are off because of the materials the piece is made out of also you need a hygrometer for humidity- glass surfing could be cause of the change and he's exploring as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom