Bearded Dragon diagnosed with follicular stasis

Vilderup

Hey all,

my female bearded dragon, Sandy, was diagnosed with follicular stasis yesterday after a long and inactive winter. I thought she was half-hibernating, however she was still very awake, not lethargic nor lacking appetite. She would regularly hide and she would almost never poop. I took her to the vet yesterday and they took an X-ray and it looked like a bunch of small eggs, however with no shell. They were stuck on her ovaries, and usually never "fall" off when they're at that late of a stage. I was told that I would essentially have to wait it out and see what happens, and if surgery was going to be necessary. If she looses appetite and becomes very lethargic, surgery was pretty much the only option. She currently hasn't pooped in around 6-8 weeks. However, no impaction was shown, only a little constipated. 4½ years of age, weight of 600g, no weightloss recently(almost ever), fine eyes, ears, nose and mouth. Otherwise very healthy. Some laxatives was given, to get the stomach moving and going.

What I'm seeking advice is, what should I do?
I'm planning on making her terrarium less crowded so there's more space for moving around and at the same time making more places to climb.
Any diet, more baths, anything to make the eggs "let" go to avoid surgery for her?

Or do I just have to wait it out and see what happens?

Thanks in advance...
Mathias

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Mathias, it's always stressful to hear a diagnosis like that but I do think that waiting a little while to see if she'll lay them in the near future is O.K.
Good idea to get her some exercise, it will at least help her to poo. Let her run around a warm room and also giver her a soak in warmer than usual water and encourage her to paddle around a bit. She should go back in the enclosure to warm up after a soak though. The egg development is out of your hands, try to keep her hydrated and with enough calcium and good ubv though.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom