Bearded Dragon Burping/Puffing (not eating)

bigsisguardianangel

Beardie name(s)
Ragnarok "Raggy"
Hi all, new here and was hoping I can get some answers!
My little brother has a bearded dragon, he's (the dragon) about a year old. For the past couple of weeks he hasn't been eating his favorite bug (dubia roaches). He's been burping, puffing, and sucking in his gut(?) a lot as well. As I have been helping trying to get him back on his feet, I noticed he started shedding a few days ago.
We have been feeding him vitamin mix that we got a CountryMax and have been putting a drop of olive oil on his nose (I read it helps with impaction). We replaced his light to see if we can up the heat (it is usually a steady 85F). His UV bulb is only about four/five months old. I haven't be able to detect parasites. I do notice that he has a small cut on his toe on his front right foot. I do know my brother doesn't feed him veggies as often as he should.
Along with the olive oil and vitamins, we have tried to give him applesauce. He is still drinking water.
Let me know if you need anymore info! Anything will help, I don't want my brother to lose his pet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi all, new here and was hoping I can get some answers!
My little brother has a bearded dragon, he's (the dragon) about a year old. For the past couple of weeks he hasn't been eating his favorite bug (dubia roaches). He's been burping, puffing, and sucking in his gut(?) a lot as well. As I have been helping trying to get him back on his feet, I noticed he started shedding a few days ago.
We have been feeding him vitamin mix that we got a CountryMax and have been putting a drop of olive oil on his nose (I read it helps with impaction). We replaced his light to see if we can up the heat (it is usually a steady 85F). His UV bulb is only about four/five months old. I haven't be able to detect parasites. I do notice that he has a small cut on his toe on his front right foot. I do know my brother doesn't feed him veggies as often as he should.
Along with the olive oil and vitamins, we have tried to give him applesauce. He is still drinking water.
Let me know if you need anymore info! Anything will help, I don't want my brother to lose his pet.
Welcome --- we can try and get this fixed to get him to eat --
85 is not hot enough for temps he needs temps of 95-100 for surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- UVB is it a coil or a long tube fixture? If its a coil it needs to be replaced -- I can help w/ that -- he needs correct lighting and basking temps for him to eat -- he will not otherwise-- the low temps will cause him to get a RI please post a video of the burping and puffing

bigsisguardianangel

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ragnarok "Raggy"
Thank you so much for your reply!
Yeah, we assumed 85 was to low… My brother said it’s a coil. What brand(s) do you recommend? And any set up recommendations?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you so much for your reply!
Yeah, we assumed 85 was to low… My brother said it’s a coil. What brand(s) do you recommend? And any set up recommendations?
I am posting links for the UVB please get this replaced as soon as you can -- in the meantime shut the coil off and take the dragon outside for some good UVB - let him sit on your brother for at least 15 min or longer if the weather there is 65 + degrees - this will give him the UVB he needs till the UVB comes in - these people I am sending you to are good and fast -- if he puts him in a container NO glass - a 20 gallon plastic tote is good - watch him do not leave him -- direct sunlight for at least 15 min - you dont want him to over heat -- so no covers on the tote ---
this one has a 5.0 bulb that comes / hang on to it for a back up - the distance and placement is different from the bulb you need 24" for a 40 + gallon tank
22" bulb Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood change this bulb out in one year I recommend one month prior to so mark the calendar please -- this is extremely important that this stays up to date they lose their strength in time
or this UVB it is very good as well
when you get the UVB please post back on here so I can help you get it placed for the tank -- the screen will determine distance and placement for where it goes

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good advice from Karrrie ! I just wanted to add that only the basking spot should be 100, the other areas can descend to 90, then 80 so you also have a cooler side. Also, what is the vitamin mix that you're feeding him, is it actual food or just vitamins ? Vitamins are good only in very small amounts a 1-2 times a week.

bigsisguardianangel

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ragnarok "Raggy"
@KarrieRee We are planning on getting a new light. Thank you for the recommendations!
@AHBD The dragon does have a cooler side although I’m not sure the temperature of it.
He’s been getting Fluker’s Repta Boost.
We just set up a chicken lamp that we have. We’ll only have it until we get a new one. It has raised the temperature to around 100F (give or take a few degrees).

bigsisguardianangel

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ragnarok "Raggy"
Good advice from Karrrie ! I just wanted to add that only the basking spot should be 100, the other areas can descend to 90, then 80 so you also have a cooler side. Also, what is the vitamin mix that you're feeding him, is it actual food or just vitamins ? Vitamins are good only in very small amounts a 1-2 times a week.
I forgot to add the vitamins are a liquid. Only his basking spot is that hot. His cooler area is probably 80F? Maybe less?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom