Bearded dragon bulging eyes for over 3 years, multiple vets to no avail (Super experienced vets appreciated)

Dagnarok

I've had Kugmo_Jr for over 5 years now and over time his eyes started to bulge, I read about vitamin A overdose, eye infections, and many other things, every vet I've been to in vegas has no idea, one said it was an infection and prescribed antibiotics and ointment, another said some are just like this and it's fine. I tried to find some research papers and some vets talked about the blood vessels that expand their eyes used for shedding that get stuck open but there's a risky operation to try and fix it and many dragons die during the process. (Attached are some pictures)

I'm sad because I know it affects his eyesight and I want to make him better, maybe there's a pro on here that's seen this before. As far as husbandry I use Arcadia 12% UVB T5 HO, I have a Solarmeter Model 6.5R Reptile UV Index Meter to make sure his UVB exposure is proper, basking temps 90-105 high side, and 80ish on the cool side and humidity levels average around 35%. I also use Repashy SuperCal NoD and HERPTIVITE Multivitamins.

Also if you live in Los Vegas and know the best Bearded dragon vet/ surgeons please let me.

20220508_195432.jpg
20220508_195436.jpg
20220508_195441.jpg

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
it does sound like your uvb is good, the basking temp might be too high for an adult dragon. they tend to like it a little cooler. but unfortunately, i have no answers for you. i believe @xp29 might have some vet suggestions for your area.

Dagnarok

Original Poster
it does sound like your uvb is good, the basking temp might be too high for an adult dragon. they tend to like it a little cooler. but unfortunately, i have no answers for you. i believe @xp29 might have some vet suggestions for your area.
Thank you so much buddy, actually, I do usually keep them much cooler, just depends on the time of year it's colder here right now

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
no problem. i wish i could be of more help. are the eyes always like that now? or only randomly? that's just got to be so uncomfortable.

i'm pretty sure xp is off of here for the night but should be around in the morning.

Last edited:

Dagnarok

Original Poster
no problem. i wish i could be of more help. are the eyes always like that now? or only randomly? that's just got to be so uncomfortable.

i'm pretty sure xp is of of here for the night but should be around in the morning.
they've been suck like that for 3 maybe 4 years and no vet has helped and I've tried everything else possible.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
oh wow! ok i'm going to tag tracie, too @Drache613 . she's a vet tech, usually on super late at night. i hope the group can collectively come up with some answers for you. there are some awesome people around here that truly care for every beardie from here to infinity!

Dagnarok

Original Poster
oh wow! ok i'm going to tag tracie, too @Drache613 . she's a vet tech, usually on super late at night. i hope the group can collectively come up with some answers for you. there are some awesome people around here that truly care for every beardie from here to infinity!
Thanks so much, I lost my baby MeKoo 2 weeks ago to stomach cancer, and I don't want to lose my baby Kugmo too. they have a lot of followers on Instagram and TikTok, I've been utterly devastated over MeKoo, watch some of her videos if possible she was a much-loved and funny girl.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
did you post about MeKoo? i seem to remember reading something similar to that. either way, i am so sorry for your loss!

sir henry of scales is our only dragon, but his brother, taela the parakeet is our second. his sister koori was a very hard loss for my daughter and i so i can empathize. she was also a case of something that progressed over years that no one could really figure out.

here's to Kugmo kicking ass and beating whatever this is!

Dagnarok

Original Poster
did you post about MeKoo? i seem to remember reading something similar to that. either way, i am so sorry for your loss!

sir henry of scales is our only dragon, but his brother, taela the parakeet is our second. his sister koori was a very hard loss for my daughter and i so i can empathize. she was also a case of something that progressed over years that no one could really figure out.

here's to Kugmo kicking ass and beating whatever this is!
thanks for being an awesome member of this community and trying your hardest to help I'm sure these people you've recommended will help a lot

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you happen to have a copy of his latest blood test, by chance?
Have his eyes gotten bigger then, over time or have they essentially stayed about the same
in size?
There is a genetic trait or condition called Frog Eyes & it is a legitimate genetic trait, but it isn't
real common. My first thought would be a possible heart condition or kidney issue. It is strange
his eyes have been larger like that for a few years though.
Your lighting sounds good. The Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube is a great bulb. Are you also using a
bright white basking light in combination with the tube?

Tracie

Dagnarok

Original Poster
Hello,

Do you happen to have a copy of his latest blood test, by chance?
Have his eyes gotten bigger then, over time or have they essentially stayed about the same
in size?
There is a genetic trait or condition called Frog Eyes & it is a legitimate genetic trait, but it isn't
real common. My first thought would be a possible heart condition or kidney issue. It is strange
his eyes have been larger like that for a few years though.
Your lighting sounds good. The Arcadia D3 12% T5 tube is a great bulb. Are you also using a
bright white basking light in combination with the tube?

Tracie
Doctor did blood work and said his heart and kidneys were fine and this came on when he was about 1 1/2 years old and have stayed the same ever since. But I can tell it affects his sight. And yes I have a 50 wat basking light without any writing on it, because I heard that might hurt their eyes as well.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you post the bloodwork? If you don't have it, your vet should be more than willing to send you a copy of it. After all, you paid for it.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Doctor did blood work and said his heart and kidneys were fine and this came on when he was about 1 1/2 years old and have stayed the same ever since. But I can tell it affects his sight. And yes I have a 50 wat basking light without any writing on it, because I heard that might hurt their eyes as well.
Basking light ? Is it a daytime bulb-- you don't want any bulbs that have the neoyodium coating on them

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Poor little guy, that looks very uncomfortable. I hope you can find an answer and a solution.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom