Bearded Dragon breathing but very low on energy/unresponsive

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizard935

I have an adult bearded dragon that has been losing appetite over a period of about two months. He first stopped eating greens, to which I only fed him superworms. He began to eat less, and started to lose weight. About a week and a half ago I was about to take him to the vet, but he started eating again, so I assumed that he was getting better. He has since stopped eating again, losing even more body weight and becoming lethargic. He is also clearly constipated, as he has attempted and failed to defecate numerous times. In an attempt to help with his constipation, I blended collard greens, apple, water, and some calcium and fed it to him through a syringe. Hours later, or now, he attempted to throw it up violently, then became limp, no longer breathing. I was able to get the rest of it out of his mouth, as well as get him breathing again. He is mostly limp, his eyes ajar and breathing with a black beard, however he is mostly unresponsive. He occasionally gets the energy to lift his head into the air, but immediately tires out and lays back down. I have followed all the advice I could online and gave him a warm bath keeping his head out of the water as he is too weak to do it himself. He is now resting on a heating pad. No reptile or animal vets are open until tomorrow. I figure I shouldn't try feeding him anything while he's unresponsive as I don't wish to choke him. Is there anything I can do to help him survive until tomorrow?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB? Brand and bulb ? NO coils please --- what are the basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please ---- how old is the dragon ?

lizard935

Original Poster
I'm using a 100w Repti Basking Spot Lamp. It's relatively old however, I have an unopened Reptisun 10.0 UVB if it would be better to switch to it. I used to take basking temps a long time ago, don't remember them, however the setup hasn't changed and being a large terrarium it has a warm side and a cool side. The bearded dragon is about three years old.

lizard935

Original Poster
I've been staying up all night checking on him. His breathing shallowed a while ago and as of a couple of minutes ago he seems to have unfortunately begun undergoing rigor mortis. I don't intent to be rude, but was this really the time and place to tell me about bad light bulbs and thermometers?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? Since he is not feeling well, it would be a good idea for you to
try & keep him a little warmer overnight to help boost his system. You can keep him around
78-80 overnight.
How is his breathing this evening?
The Reptisun 10, is it a long tube bulb for UVB?

Tracie

lizard935

Original Poster
Drache613":21y4g0di said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? Since he is not feeling well, it would be a good idea for you to
try & keep him a little warmer overnight to help boost his system. You can keep him around
78-80 overnight.
How is his breathing this evening?
The Reptisun 10, is it a long tube bulb for UVB?

Tracie
As I stated above, he underwent rigor mortis. He passed away.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry, I missed that portion of your message. :cry: I am sorry you lost him so
suddenly. My condolences to you & your family.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom