Bearded dragon basking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wandaa

I've recently adopted a 5 year old bearded dragon! She's awesome!
When we got her her enclosure had the uvb sitting across the bottom of the enclosure and she had no basking light instead she had a ceramic heater that was kept at 35c all day and night.
We moved the uvb to the top of the enclosure and added in a basking light and made a basking spot for her and only used the ceramic heat lamp to keep temps around 21c. So she has a hot basking side and then a cooler side.
However we've had her for about 5 weeks now and she still will not go into her basking area!
If we put her there she just moves away and into her hide.
Should we just go back to using only the ceramic heat lamp and remove the light? Or is there a way we can get her to start using her basking spot?
Have attached a pic of enclosure to help.
Thank for any advice :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220323_115731.jpg
    IMG_20220323_115731.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 122

OrchardDragon

Beardie name(s)
Urdnot Grunt
Hey, so generally for an adult you'll want the basking spot to be between 35-40 Celcius. I'd only use a ceramic heater if the ambient temps at night get below about 18 Celcius. In general, since they are from Australia the brighter the tank is the better. I've had allot of success using 40w halogen spot lights for the basking area. Naturally you'd want temps/light to go down at night simulating the natural day/night cycle. Hope that helps.

Wandaa

Original Poster
Hey, so generally for an adult you'll want the basking spot to be between 35-40 Celcius. I'd only use a ceramic heater if the ambient temps at night get below about 18 Celcius. In general, since they are from Australia the brighter the tank is the better. I've had allot of success using 40w halogen spot lights for the basking area. Naturally you'd want temps/light to go down at night simulating the natural day/night cycle. Hope that helps.
Yeah that's what we tried to do, however since we changed everything to be how it should be all she does is hide :( it's like she was so used to the whole tank been that hot, hopefully she just comes around

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yeah that's what we tried to do, however since we changed everything to be how it should be all she does is hide :( it's like she was so used to the whole tank been that hot, hopefully she just comes around
What brand and bulb are you using for a uvb ? How far is it from basking decor + how are you getting basking temps they should be surface temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- we need to figure out temps and lighting first- how old is the uvb bulb? I see a probe thermometer- I am assuming the basking light is a solid clear bright white basking bulb? Does your uvb fixture have a reflector in it?

Wandaa

Original Poster
So we use a Phillips 75W reflector bulb for basking spot, we do have a heat gun the basking spot is 105f sometimes only 100f. The uvb however I'm unsure of it came with the enclosure she said it was replaced last year but I don't know what kind it is. Seems quite long longer than the ones I see online. The uvb is about 30cm from basking spot and about 50cm away from bottom of enclosure

Wandaa

Original Poster
So we use a Phillips 75W reflector bulb for basking spot, we do have a heat gun the basking spot is 105f sometimes only 100f. The uvb however I'm unsure of it came with the enclosure she said it was replaced last year but I don't know what kind it is. Seems quite long longer than the ones I see online. The uvb is about 30cm from basking spot and about 50cm away from bottom of enclosure
Uvb does have a reflector hood :)

Wandaa

Original Poster
Okay so Its an Arcadia T5 850mm
I think it'll be nearing a year old they replaced it last year (they said) she was far more active in her enclosure before I added the basking lamp, (back when she just had the CHL and the uvb layed on the floor). I feel like she dosn't like the changes we made even though it's how its meant to be?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Okay so Its an Arcadia T5 850mm
I think it'll be nearing a year old they replaced it last year (they said) she was far more active in her enclosure before I added the basking lamp, (back when she just had the CHL and the uvb layed on the floor). I feel like she dosn't like the changes we made even though it's how its meant to be?
The distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -- Please get a new uvb bulb-- not sure what's going on w/ the Phillips bulb-- I need some help going to flag Cooper dragon
@CooperDragon

Wandaa

Original Poster
The distance should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor -- Please get a new uvb bulb-- not sure what's going on w/ the Phillips bulb-- I need some help going to flag Cooper dragon
@CooperDragon
Yeah the Phillips bulb is working fine, in just not sure if she was so used to how her enclosure used to be that's it's taking her a while to adjust or not. This is the first basking spot someone has made for her in over 5 years. Yup the uvb is 30cm away from basking spot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom