Bearded Dragon Acting Weird During Rainy Season

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone!

Here in South Carolina, we are in the rainy season, which means it rains A LOT at least once a day. When we have storms, my beardie Drogon hides and makes a burrow in his cave. However, now I'm noticing that even on sunny days, he doesn't want to come out of his burrow and his appetite has declined. Should I be worried or do you think this is just seasonal behavior? Do bearded dragons estivate?

Thanks!
Selkie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I need to apologize, i went back and took another look at your pic. When i first saw it i thought you had the wide hole setting on top of a fine mesh. I see i was wrong, that looks to be plexieglass at the far end, and i mistook it for screen. My apologies.
Hi there!

No worries! Yes we have an acrylic sheet on the other end because we couldn't find a top mesh big enough for a 75 gal tank

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
Im actually reading up on the lighting guide here on BeardedDragon.org and it says a t5 is usually placed on top of the enclosure, and I have a wide mesh, so I think I will do that. I'll check the guide for some buying suggestions since I want to get the right dimensions.

Thank you!!
They make these really cheap fasteners to connect the light to the inside of the screen. Little clip that clips onto the back of the light with a screw and wing nut to fasten to the screen. Probably set you back less then a dollar.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
@xp29 and @KarrieRee

Update on Drogon: He was doing well with the lighting, but after some lethargic behavior I took him to the vet and he has a minor pinworm infection. How did this happen??? I've been careful with my feeders!! He's on an injectable med and oral med for a few weeks. His white blood cell count was also high, so any advice or experience you had with this is appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
@xp29 and @KarrieRee

Update on Drogon: He was doing well with the lighting, but after some lethargic behavior I took him to the vet and he has a minor pinworm infection. How did this happen??? I've been careful with my feeders!! He's on an injectable med and oral med for a few weeks. His white blood cell count was also high, so any advice or experience you had with this is appreciated.
It is not uncommon for them to develop parasites - they hatch which is normal - its the good UVB and the good surface basking temps that keep those parasites in check - so the dragon can control them - you said minor so that is good - Hiccup tested positive for parasites last stool I took in but it was not high enough to even medicate - did the vet say anything about the HBC and if it needed treatment or what it was - do you have the blood work results - we can have Tracie the vet tech mod look at them and she can explain them to you

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm glad the lighting is helping, and sorry to hear about the parasites. I think a whole lot of the time the meds make them lethargic. Hopefully he bounces back quickly. If you can get him outside in the real sun for 30 minutes to an hour daily while he is being treated it might help a little.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
It is not uncommon for them to develop parasites - they hatch which is normal - its the good UVB and the good surface basking temps that keep those parasites in check - so the dragon can control them - you said minor so that is good - Hiccup tested positive for parasites last stool I took in but it was not high enough to even medicate - did the vet say anything about the HBC and if it needed treatment or what it was - do you have the blood work results - we can have Tracie the vet tech mod look at them and she can explain them to you

So parasites just happen? I felt so guilty when I heard his diagnosis. Here are his blood results so you can tag the person

Drogon looked well externally today, his fecal analysis showed some parasites and he was prescribed a dewormer.
His white blood cell count is elevated which is indicative of an infection or inflammation and his lymphocyte count is high which are his antibody producing cells. His internal body function test was normal, mild discrepancies in his blood gases and ionized calcium was normal.
We would like to recheck him in 4 weeks when he is done with his medications, any concerns prior please call.
  • Body System Status Findings
    GENERAL Normal Weight| 779
    Attitude| Bright, alert & responsive
    Respiratory rate|12
    Mucous membranes| Pink
    Hydration| Normal
    Body condition Score| 3/5
    Pain score| 0/4
    EYES Normal Bright and clear.
    EARS Normal No discharge noted
    ORAL Normal Clean, no discharge noted
    HEART Normal No murmurs or arrhythmia detected
    RESPIRAT... Normal No nasal discharge was seen. Clear, no crackles or wheezes auscultated
    COELOM Normal Soft, no enlarged organs palpated
    GI SYSTEM Normal No significant findings in the gastrointestinal system
    MS SYSTEM Normal No significant findings noted in the musculoskeletal system.
    SKIN Normal Clean, no significant findings
    UG SYSTEM Normal No significant findings in the urogenital system
    NERVOUS Normal Normal mentation and gait
  • Patient: DROGON
    Species: LIZARD Breed: BEARDED DRAGON Provider: JB - Record: 56743 - Date: AUG 8 22 - Page: 2
    Gender: M Color: RED DOB: JUL 21 19 Age: 3 Yrs .6 Mns Weight: 779 gs 1.72 lbs
    Exam Detail
    Body System Status Findings
    LABORATORY Abnormal TECH| BT/CG
    Colonic lavage > soft-normal stools
    Fecal Analysis Direct| Roundworm ova 3-5/hpf
    Fecal Analysis Floatation| Roundworm ova 3-5/hpf
    Complete Blood Count| leukocytosis, lymphocytosis
    Hct | 41 TS | 7.2
    WBC est:| 19,600 H| 17 L| 81 M| 2
    RBC: Anisocytosis (1+ 2+ 3+)| 1
    Poikilocytosis (1+ 2+ 3+)| 1
    Poly (1+ 2+ 3+) | 1
    Platelets (Adequate None Increased) | Adequate
    Blood parasite| neg
    Toxicity Degree (0 1+ 2+ 3+) | 1+
    Number of toxic Neutrophils (0% <10% >30%)| <10%
    Comments| some basophilic
    Blood Chemistry Panel (Internal organ and electrolyte evaluation)| normal
    AST 23 0-77 U/L
    BA < 35 * umol/L
    CK 1631 59-7000 U/L
    UA 3.7 2.9-10.0 mg/dL
    GLU 192 139-291 mg/dL
    CA 12.1 8.6-27.0 mg/dL
    PHOS 4.0 2.7-15.1 mg/dL
    TP 5.4 3.6-6.4 g/dL
    ALB 3.0 1.3-4.6 g/dL
    GLOB 2.4 1.0-4.4 g/dL
    K+ 3.5 1.3-6.3 mmol/L
    NA+ 156 137-186 mmol/L

QC OK
    HEM 0 LIP 0 ICT 0
    Bile Acid Level (Liver Function Test)| normal
    iSTAT| ~ normal, hemodiluted sample
    pH| 7.5
    PC02|41
    PO2|61
    HCO3|32
    BE|9
    SO2|93
    TCO2|34
    Na|147
    K|2.9
    iCa|1.29
    Glu|191

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I'm glad the lighting is helping, and sorry to hear about the parasites. I think a whole lot of the time the meds make them lethargic. Hopefully he bounces back quickly. If you can get him outside in the real sun for 30 minutes to an hour daily while he is being treated it might help a little.
I will try! He's still a bit touchie with being handled, and as you can see in my profile pic, he's usually a mush xD

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So parasites just happen? I felt so guilty when I heard his diagnosis. Here are his blood results so you can tag the person

Drogon looked well externally today, his fecal analysis showed some parasites and he was prescribed a dewormer.
His white blood cell count is elevated which is indicative of an infection or inflammation and his lymphocyte count is high which are his antibody producing cells. His internal body function test was normal, mild discrepancies in his blood gases and ionized calcium was normal.
We would like to recheck him in 4 weeks when he is done with his medications, any concerns prior please call.
  • Body System Status Findings
    GENERAL Normal Weight| 779
    Attitude| Bright, alert & responsive
    Respiratory rate|12
    Mucous membranes| Pink
    Hydration| Normal
    Body condition Score| 3/5
    Pain score| 0/4
    EYES Normal Bright and clear.
    EARS Normal No discharge noted
    ORAL Normal Clean, no discharge noted
    HEART Normal No murmurs or arrhythmia detected
    RESPIRAT... Normal No nasal discharge was seen. Clear, no crackles or wheezes auscultated
    COELOM Normal Soft, no enlarged organs palpated
    GI SYSTEM Normal No significant findings in the gastrointestinal system
    MS SYSTEM Normal No significant findings noted in the musculoskeletal system.
    SKIN Normal Clean, no significant findings
    UG SYSTEM Normal No significant findings in the urogenital system
    NERVOUS Normal Normal mentation and gait
  • Patient: DROGON
    Species: LIZARD Breed: BEARDED DRAGON Provider: JB - Record: 56743 - Date: AUG 8 22 - Page: 2
    Gender: M Color: RED DOB: JUL 21 19 Age: 3 Yrs .6 Mns Weight: 779 gs 1.72 lbs
    Exam Detail
    Body System Status Findings
    LABORATORY Abnormal TECH| BT/CG
    Colonic lavage > soft-normal stools
    Fecal Analysis Direct| Roundworm ova 3-5/hpf
    Fecal Analysis Floatation| Roundworm ova 3-5/hpf
    Complete Blood Count| leukocytosis, lymphocytosis
    Hct | 41 TS | 7.2
    WBC est:| 19,600 H| 17 L| 81 M| 2
    RBC: Anisocytosis (1+ 2+ 3+)| 1
    Poikilocytosis (1+ 2+ 3+)| 1
    Poly (1+ 2+ 3+) | 1
    Platelets (Adequate None Increased) | Adequate
    Blood parasite| neg
    Toxicity Degree (0 1+ 2+ 3+) | 1+
    Number of toxic Neutrophils (0% <10% >30%)| <10%
    Comments| some basophilic
    Blood Chemistry Panel (Internal organ and electrolyte evaluation)| normal
    AST 23 0-77 U/L
    BA < 35 * umol/L
    CK 1631 59-7000 U/L
    UA 3.7 2.9-10.0 mg/dL
    GLU 192 139-291 mg/dL
    CA 12.1 8.6-27.0 mg/dL
    PHOS 4.0 2.7-15.1 mg/dL
    TP 5.4 3.6-6.4 g/dL
    ALB 3.0 1.3-4.6 g/dL
    GLOB 2.4 1.0-4.4 g/dL
    K+ 3.5 1.3-6.3 mmol/L
    NA+ 156 137-186 mmol/L

QC OK
    HEM 0 LIP 0 ICT 0
    Bile Acid Level (Liver Function Test)| normal
    iSTAT| ~ normal, hemodiluted sample
    pH| 7.5
    PC02|41
    PO2|61
    HCO3|32
    BE|9
    SO2|93
    TCO2|34
    Na|147
    K|2.9
    iCa|1.29
    Glu|191
@Drache613

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
@KarrieRee @xp29

Have you guys noticed that the antiparasitic meds make your dragon lethargic? He's still not quite at the energy levels I'm used to seeing :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I read most of the thread from the start and first off I'd like to say what a beautiful set up you have. :) The large basking " trunk " is perfect for beardies of all sizes and I'd recommend that type over most anything. I would get id of the hammock though, nails can get snagged and sprain beardie's leg/foot.

I also believe that your first guess about him hiding was correct, at that age they can aestivate for short or long periods and my dragons do the same. As for the pinworms, if they were just a small amount I doubt they contributed to his initial lethargy because beardies can remain active even with high counts of worms or coccidia. What type of meds. is he on [ sorry if I missed it ] and for how long ?

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hi there!

Here is what he was perscribed from his medical chart:
Antibiotic: (Ceftazidime 100mg/mL), give one pre loaded syringe every 3rd
day as instructed. Keep frozen and thaw for 5 minutes prior administration.
Start on: 8/11/22
-Anti parasitic: (Fenbendazole 100mg/mL), give 0.16 mL by mouth ONCE
daily for 3 days, repeat cycle in 2 weeks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Fenbendazole [ aka Panacur ] is not a harsh drug at all and doesn't usually cause much change in behavior. The Ceft. might be the problem, what was it prescribed for ? Antibiotics should only be given for actual diagnosed infections.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fenbendazole [ aka Panacur ] is not a harsh drug at all and doesn't usually cause much change in behavior. The Ceft. might be the problem, what was it prescribed for ? Antibiotics should only be given for actual diagnosed infections.
Since the doctor noticed his white blood cell count was very high, he wanted to treat it from all angles. Is the Ceft not safe? :(

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
O.K, I didn't see read all the bloodwork. Does it say WBC 19,600 ? The ceft. IS safe, it just is more likely to cause tummy upset stomach.
Yes, that sounds right! And I've noticed it's been a week and a half since he last pooped, which is unlike him. Last night I gave him some pumpkin puree with water and a 30 min warm bath. Do you have any other suggestions? He's not eating a ton which explains it, but I would still like to see him poo

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom