Bearded Dragon… weird behavior

gmsblaze

Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi
Hi all!

My bearded dragon has been acting weird for the past 48 hours. She’s been opening her mouth slightly like she’s trying to drink something & then closes it.

She’s also been trying to climb to the highest point of her terrarium which is not like her.

Any insights? Her humidity levels have been low due to the weather so I’ve been spraying to keep them up.

gmsblaze

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi
Hi all!

My bearded dragon has been acting weird for the past 48 hours. She’s been opening her mouth slightly like she’s trying to drink something & then closes it.

She’s also been trying to climb to the highest point of her terrarium which is not like her.

Any insights? Her humidity levels have been low due to the weather so I’ve been spraying to keep them up.

Attachments

• BD2DC05E-54C9-457E-9D0D-4E0AAF7EB6B8.jpg
    BD2DC05E-54C9-457E-9D0D-4E0AAF7EB6B8.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 81

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
is that spot under her uvb? and is the uvb a long straight tube or a coil/compact in a dome? my first thought is inadequate uvb for the climbing high up part.

gmsblaze

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi
is that spot under her uvb? and is the uvb a long straight tube or a coil/compact in a dome? my first thought is inadequate uvb for the climbing high up part.
That spot is on her cold side. Her UVB is a tube that goes halfway across on her basking side

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you using a digital probe or temp gun to measure the temperatures?
If she is gaping too often, the she may be getting too hot. Definitely post a few
pictures of your lighting setup.

Tracie

gmsblaze

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi
Hello,

Are you using a digital probe or temp gun to measure the temperatures?
If she is gaping too often, the she may be getting too hot. Definitely post a few
pictures of your lighting setup.

Tracie
I️ use a digital probe. Her temperatures don’t get higher than 90-95, & then cool side during the day is between 75-80. She isn’t gaping, she just opens her mouth slightly like she does when she drinks water & then closes it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 67

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I️ use a digital probe. Her temperatures don’t get higher than 90-95, & then cool side during the day is between 75-80. She isn’t gaping, she just opens her mouth slightly like she does when she drinks water & then closes it.
I see the UVB is that a T 5 or a T 8? If its a T8 it needs to be inside the tank --- and if its a T 5 the same as the screen looks to be a fine mesh like a screen door - the distance between the two bulbs is going to be different tho

gmsblaze

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi
I see the UVB is that a T 5 or a T 8? If its a T8 it needs to be inside the tank --- and if its a T 5 the same as the screen looks to be a fine mesh like a screen door - the distance between the two bulbs is going to be different tho
Yes, I’m aware. It’s a T5 which is why it is on the top of the mesh screen.

gmsblaze

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Blaze & Sushi
If the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door its blocking 30% of the UVB rays- which means she is not getting enough
She’s had the same set up since January… her behavior only changed within the last few days. She has never had an issue with her UVB. Her T5 bulb has been replaced within 6 months & is less than 6 inches above her basking rock. I’m not sure if it’s her UVB… :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She’s had the same set up since January… her behavior only changed within the last few days. She has never had an issue with her UVB. Her T5 bulb has been replaced within 6 months & is less than 6 inches above her basking rock. I’m not sure if it’s her UVB… :)
Please get it unobstructed and the distance 12-15 inches and then watch her behavior---- she needs the UVB rays and the screen is blocking 30% of the rays

Flame2020

Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Flame 🔥
Yeah I agree long uvb light is best under mesh screen . Get wire from hardware store . It’s easy to attach on side of tank under mesh screen. It might not be the problem she’s having right now but it will be best for her health and development.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom