Beard turned black, jowls hanging, refuses to eat.

annieandziggy

Beardie name(s)
Ziggy
I woke up this morning and i realized i didn’t have any roaches left so I made Ziggy his salad and brought it up to him but he’s basking with a big black beard, his chin/jowls swollen, and he’s refusing to eat. I offered him the salad but he spit it out. I even tried strawberry which is his favorite and he refuses to even try it. I’m concerned because he’s only 6 months old and he usually attacks me for food because he’s so excited. I have no idea what it could be… the only change I made to his diet is the salad- now i’m buying mustard and turnip greens because they are much cheaper than collard greens. But I didn’t think this would be it because I made that change like a week ago. And he loved it. he hadn’t pooped in awhile. Maybe 3-4 days. But that’s normal for him. Basking temps are normal (90-105). His UV light is ready for replacement tho- it’s been about six months. Has anyone experienced this with their beardie? Or does anyone have an idea of what it could be?

EDIT: He just pooped but is in the same spot. His tail is laying in it… it’s like he pooped while laying down. Still refusing to eat. See two pics below

EDIT 2: There’s pink in his urate and I’m not sure if it is but it looks like mucus in his poo.
image.jpg

Attachments

• 157E7B3E-D1ED-4062-A402-D544E4C6EB82.jpeg
    157E7B3E-D1ED-4062-A402-D544E4C6EB82.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I woke up this morning and i realized i didn’t have any roaches left so I made Ziggy his salad and brought it up to him but he’s basking with a big black beard, his chin/jowls swollen, and he’s refusing to eat. I offered him the salad but he spit it out. I even tried strawberry which is his favorite and he refuses to even try it. I’m concerned because he’s only 6 months old and he usually attacks me for food because he’s so excited. I have no idea what it could be… the only change I made to his diet is the salad- now i’m buying mustard and turnip greens because they are much cheaper than collard greens. But I didn’t think this would be it because I made that change like a week ago. And he loved it. he hadn’t pooped in awhile. Maybe 3-4 days. But that’s normal for him. Basking temps are normal (90-105). His UV light is ready for replacement tho- it’s been about six months. Has anyone experienced this with their beardie? Or does anyone have an idea of what it could be?

EDIT: He just pooped but is in the same spot. His tail is laying in it… it’s like he pooped while laying down. Still refusing to eat. See two pics below

EDIT 2: There’s pink in his urate and I’m not sure if it is but it looks like mucus in his poo.
View attachment 72686
His poop looks fine --- what is the red sore under his lip and the white fuzz is shed? His beard looks ok to me -- we can have some others take a look and see if there is something I am missing
@AHBD
@CooperDragon

annieandziggy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ziggy
@KarrieRee I just put gave him a bath since he was practically basking in his poo, and i put him on his log after i cleaned it up. He still refuses to eat. I wonder if i give him bugs (when we can drive and go get them) then he would eat it? Since it’s his favorite? his beard isn’t black anymore but he has a lot of stress marks. he’s also pretty lazy- when i put him on his log, he was in the position of laying down in my hand like a skydiver, and stayed in the same position when i put him on his log. I seriously think he’s gonna topple over lol.

EDIT: He just dug into his salad!!

Last edited:

annieandziggy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ziggy
Ziggy might have just had a slight tummy ache, there's no sign of any other problem. Hopefully his appetite will return soon but try not to worry until he eats on his own.
Phew.. he does seem okay now that he pooped. He’s moving around and climbing on his log and eating some of his salad. Thank you so much.

annieandziggy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ziggy
Ziggy might have just had a slight tummy ache, there's no sign of any other problem. Hopefully his appetite will return soon but try not to worry until he eats on his own.
He pooped and laid in it… again? He fell asleep. It’s 11:00 pm and his lights were off but now I have to turn them back on to clean it up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 64

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today, any changes? Is his beard still a little darker than normal?
His stool looks pretty normal. Can you review your supplementation & food a bit more with us,
so we can be sure it is all correct.
Perhaps the roaches were too big for him? Sometimes they eat too much & that can upset their
system. The greens you are giving him should be perfectly fine. In case he isn't digesting well
enough, you could bump up his temperatures a degree or two just to be sure he is at optimal
temperatures.

Tracie

annieandziggy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ziggy
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today, any changes? Is his beard still a little darker than normal?
His stool looks pretty normal. Can you review your supplementation & food a bit more with us,
so we can be sure it is all correct.
Perhaps the roaches were too big for him? Sometimes they eat too much & that can upset their
system. The greens you are giving him should be perfectly fine. In case he isn't digesting well
enough, you could bump up his temperatures a degree or two just to be sure he is at optimal
temperatures.

Tracie
His bugs are as big or smaller than the space between his eyes. He gets calcium 5 days a week and multivitamin 1-2 times a week. He looks okay… i think. He’s a tad bit darker but not like really bad. I think he’s just trying to absorb more heat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Reptisun T8 17 watt- needs to be replaced soon
please replace if its 6 months I recommend every 5 months -- where is the UVB placed? Inside the tank or top of screen? these bulbs require certain distance and placement-- the poop looks good

annieandziggy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ziggy
please replace if its 6 months I recommend every 5 months -- where is the UVB placed? Inside the tank or top of screen? these bulbs require certain distance and placement-- the poop looks good
Inside the tank. About six inches away from basking spot “slanted” wise

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom