BD Tail and Belly, now back legs! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfLover

I've searched the web for answers only to come up with nothing. I pray its nothing serious but he is scaring me, for this is my first bearded dragon and I actually bought him with my own money and care greatly for him. When I got him he seemed fine, active, curious all the things you are suppose to look for. He was fine in short. He is probably a little less then a year old, around 11 and a half inches long from tip to tail tip. Unfortentally, he seems to have stopped growing and really really slowed down abruptly. This all started out with a small problem on his tail, at the base it appear to be skin tight, white possible dried skin, that wasn't shedding off. I did what I could, soaked him in his warm water -which he is started to love- and using antibiotic to soften it during times I couldn't soak him. It never got better, and I started to fear he would lose his tail. Time went and it got worse and better as an ongoing up and down trend. It currently looks something like this. ~
P2150061.jpg

Parents don't really have the money to send him to the vet so I was stuck just doing my best.
Sometime later, I noticed that he started having problems shedding down towards all areas around the base of his tail, and the next thing I knew he started looking like this ~
P2150073.jpg
(Also in this picture notice his stomach on your left side, it has began to scab as well.)

P2080055.jpg

That being his belly, soon after this started, his legs began to get sores on them..only his back two legs.

P2150062.jpg

P2170077-1.jpg
(His right legs scab fell off yesterday, leaving a small red circle area...?)
He now lays as this last picture. He didn't move at all today until I fed him his lettuce, not even to get on his log to get into the sun. This isn't like him. He is slowly starting to not use his back legs and they are very sore to touch! I'm scared that I'm going to lose him.. His appetite is good though I don't know if he actually gets water but I spray him down and use a dropper to allow him to drink just in case. He use to be on those crush walnut shells (whatever they are called) but I have moved him onto paper towels (no ink just plain). I know there will be more questions so i'll just wait..I'm really tired of searching for answers and I fear he is getting low on time, one day soon i'm bond to wake up and he won't even move for his food..I don't want that.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hon, you have got to get him to a vet if there is any way possible. Where did you get him & were there any areas on him when you got him? You cannot let him suffer as that is not comfortable to have raw skin on him.
The antibiotic ointment will not do anything for a fungal problem.
That looks like Yellow Fungus to me, or some other type of fungal issue.
What type of UVB light are you using, is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light? What type of basking light are you using?
So you have paper towels in the tank now, & you took out the crushed walnut shells? Is this correct?
He is awfully thin too. What type of foods are you feeding him?
You could begin treating for yellow fungus. Get some betadine & witch hazel from the grocery or drug store, & also some lotrimen or lamisil cream as well. Dilute the betadine down until it looks like weak tea. Bathe him in that daily, & gently dab on the witch hazel to clean the area then put some of the antifungal cream on it. You must do this daily.
He does need to see the vet.
If he is not eating, you will need to get some chicken or turkey babyfood along with some squash babyfood & start getting some food into him with either a plastic dropper or a plastic syringe.
Please let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

WolfLover

Original Poster
We are looking into a vet now thankfully, but the closest one (that we trust, the one nearby just plain scares us) is in the next state over so we are going to ask around tomorrow and then hopefully schedule something for very very soon, its took me a lot of begging and my parents finally see that somethings not right. I got him at Petco, the guy James has been very helpful as he owns three or so himself and I can call him whenever I want.
I used the antibiotic ointment before all of the bottom of him started..now I can only get it on his tail so I don't try to touch his legs or belly. I only make sure he can still poop.
Um I'm not really sure whats the difference between a compact and a coil..cause the box of the new light we got (can't get it into the lamp its too big) says compact and it looks the same as the UVB light thats in there. His basking light however is a sunglo regular bulb..i can't see much more at the moment, his lights are on and its too bright to see any of the writing.
I have covered his bottom of his cage completely with paper towels and removed most of the shells, but there is still a thin layer underneath it. I did this right towards his bedtime and mine so I didn't clean it completely out, if I need to I will do that.
He has never been really 'big', loves flattening himself. But he has a heck of an appetite. I can feed him up to twenty crickets in one setting and he will still want more. Needless to say we buy crickets a lot. I feed him a few crickets in the morning then after school he gets his veggys or whatever I have for him that week plus more crickets then and possibly a few more two hours before bedtime. I dust the crickets usually with at least one batch never less. Is he not eating enough?
I'm really doing my best and I hate to think I did this too him, but I've done so much research and I hope it wasn't because of the shells. He is too young to put on sand I thought and I hate to risk anything. I'll have my mom stop at the store on the way home and get me those items and start as soon as I get them. I hate knowing he is in pain. I think I got all your questions..I hope I'm not too late. It happened so quick after his tail..but what was with his tail, that wasn't a fungus I don't think..?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I am so happy that your parents are going to help you take him to the vet now. It is imperative that you do. Also, when you do take him do not let him peel off the skin, as some vets have made that mistake & that will be terrible pain for him.
I do think that you should take out all of the walnut shell though so none of it will accidentally get stuck on the areas & it will get the tank free of any dust that could settle on those areas too.
The Sun Glo for a basking light is fine. The UVB light, if it is a compact, then you need to get a new UVB light ok? The compacts are hazardous & do not put out much if any quality UVB emissions. You can get a Reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb from:
http://www.petmountain.com for a very good price. That needs to be done soon also.
I believe initially the tail did have fungus. When it starts dying off or causing necrosis it turns black & if it is not treated it will quickly spread. He may have gotten it from a tank mate at the store as it is very contagious.
What do you measure the temps with, a stick on type of thermometer, a digital probe or a temp gun? What are the temps in the tank, & how close are the lights to him?
Did you save any of the skin that had scabbed over & fallen off? If he has this bad of external fungus, chances are he may need an oral antifungal as well. He is very small for his age. At around 1 year he should be at least 16-18 inches in length. Try to increase his feeding if you can to at least 30-40 crickets per day. He needs more nourishment to help him fight this. What greens & veggies do you give, & do you give calcium at least 4 times per week? He appears a little dehydrated as well, so try to get some oral fluids into him too.
I hope that it is not too late, we will do everything we can to help you. Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

Tracie

WolfLover

Original Poster
Alright, I will get a new light asap, it is time for a new one anyways. I'll have to change his tank tomorrow when I get home from school that way I can actually get the stuff out of it and replace the paper towels. Will the glass bottom be hard on him even with the paper towels? He likes to dig but sense I put the paper stuff down he hasn't tried to..but he likes to get next to his log and hide under the small part of it. Anyways, that will be done as soon as I get home tomorrow. I think I'll just ask my mom to go to the store and see if I can't find everything I need in one trip.
I use a stick on thermometer for both end of his tank and during the day one side is around 105 and the other is 65-85 depending on the temp of my room often and the weather outside. At night - 75 pretty much other side is slightly cooler but he never leaves the hotter side. The lights are...from his log 8 3/4 in. From his resting spot aka the ground of his cage 10 1/2 in.
I noticed he stopped growing sorta to a slow crawl..but he sheds like crazy it seems. No I didn't, I threw it away with the shells when I took half of them out. It only fell off because he was shedding at that area and rubbed against his log.
I will try to feed him as much as he wants as soon as I get crickets tomorrow. Um truthfully I never can tell the names of the greens + veggys, I ask my mom what they are called and if I find one remark bad about them on the internet I don't dare go near them. I don't eat them so..yea. Unfortentally I was feeding him iceburg lettece and he loves it, but I learned its nothing but water mainly. Which I think doesn't hurt him bad because I'm always scared he aint getting enough water. He seems to be a very picky green eater. He won't eat any kind of 'stalky' (for the lack of another word) food no matter how small I cut it. We had one other leafy green but I can't remember what it even looked like it was a while back. He loves those marigold leaves but I have to go searching for them to make sure no chemicals are near them, he also likes..uh I can't think of the name I'll post that tomorrow when I can ask mom, but I only give as rare treats. I am open to suggestions cause there are so much out there and so many websites are so confusing as to what is safe and not. Makes a new owner quite scared :(. I don't remember if I said this but yes he gets it at least 4 times. He is sleeping right now, I pray that he is comfortable in his sleep.
I hope I didn't miss anything. Its getting late so my minds not so clear, sorry for the confusing answers. I'm just a bit sad that it had to get this far before I even got a chance..

WolfLover

Original Poster
Oh they are Hens and chicks, I take off a leave (if you want to call a piece of it a leave) and usually hold it and he chews a bite then I cut it up and next thing I know its always gone! We have them all over our house inside and out so I use them as a treat during the summer. Also I didn't do anything with his lights for the winter and I don't think he did anything..is this bad or ok? I heard both sides.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You will also need to get a digital probe or a temp gun to better measure the temps in the tank, ok, to make sure they are accurate. The stick ons are not very accurate for measuring basking temps.
Do you mean that he did not brumate this year? If so, that is fine. He is ill so he doesn't need to brumate.
Here is a site that will help you with feeding of greens & veggies. The iceberg has no nutrition for him.

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

The hens & chicks plant is fine to feed him when it is available.

If you would like to you can put a nice soft towel down on the bottom of the tank for him to snuggle on.
Good you will go ahead & get another UVB light. Your basking light is fine & the distance is good as well. The Reptisun 10 can be 6-8 inches from him.
When you are at the vets, also ask for some silvadene cream to help with his skin.
Ok good he gets calcium several times per week. Once you get a new UVB light he will absorb the calcium better too.
I am anxious for you to get him to the vet so they can examine him. Please keep me posted on him. I hope he eats well tomorrow.

Tracie

WolfLover

Original Poster
I have started everything today. He is still normal cept for today he has stopped using one of his back legs I think its just really sore cause except if he really wants to get away he will use it. His appitite has also decreased a bit though he did eat a good bit of the babyfood and greens. The vet is not in till Monday, so its a matter of us getting money before then.. Wish him/ her luck till then.. (Never could tell with him/ her being young and the skin problems down there)

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
oh man... i nearly fell out of my chair when i saw those pics :silent: ...

i dont know where you live but in california it is ILLEAGAL to sell sick animals and that dragon is EXTREMELY ill. i cant believe how skinny he is, in that one pic...

this dragon was very lucky you came across him. i dont think anyone would have bought him unless you did. i do agree with Tracie though, he needs vetrinary attention asap. ask everyone you know if you can borrow 10 or 20 bucks, seriously. i havent seen anything like that before, i hope you can get him through it to see happier days.

good luck with everything, ill be checking in to see how things are going.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, good, at least he ate a little bit of food then. Please try to keep him hydrated right now, & if you can get food into him daily as he really needs it.
So you are getting him to the vet on monday correct?
I hope he hangs on for you. Try not to handle him too much right now to avoid causing more pain in his tail area, especially.
Please keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Pleaides

Juvie Member
oh im sorry to hear of your baby, i really hope you get him to a herp vet very soon for treatment, those pics are awful, he must be in so much pain, poor little darling!
do keep us updated on his progress though.
good luck at the vets!

***Anny, Mischief and Venus have all their fingers and legs crossed for you***

WolfLover

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Unfortentally we couldn't get him into the vet on Monday, due to a concert I was in at the same time it would of been. But he is eating crickets again, though he still gets some baby food as he doesn't eat too many. He slowly is using his leg again which I'm very happy to see. But on the downside I think he hasn't pooped in a few days even with warm baths. Vet is Wed. 25 at 4:15 right after school so we will see what we can find out. Overall he is doing a little better.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, great then. Let us know how the vet visit goes on wednesday then. That is good he is at least eating & using his back legs a little bit too. I hope that we can get him to back to health soon.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom