Baths for Femoral Pores

dandelion

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jasper
For a couple of stubborn blocked femoral pores, how often can you soak or bathe safely? I don’t want to cause scale damage or over hydration, but after three 20-30 minute warm soaks over three days, they have started to soften but are still not coming out. Even that has been a struggle since he doesn’t like baths.
Some places say you can give them a soak once a day for a week, others say only twice a week at most.
I brush them for a few minutes after soaking, and make sure he has multiple pieces of bark and rough stone to climb on.
I have a checkup with our vet scheduled in about three weeks, but I would like to see if I can get them to come out with a more gentle and less invasive method before asking the vet about extraction. Does anyone have any advice?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Yes, be very careful with the vet, there was a thread here a few months ago from someone that went to the vet for the same reason. That vet was rough and the beardie passed away due to it. Post a couple pics and let some of the community take a look, most of the time if a beardie has something to rub them on they will take care of it themselves.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
This is a link to the thread i mentioned, the vet tech Drache613 even mentions in this thread to give something for them to rub them on.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Get some coconut oil put on them 2-3 times per day w/ a Qtip let them get good and soft then gently squeeze them - they should come right out - start at the base of the pore and push down they will come out like a candle stick

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you post a picture? Femoral pores aren't supposed to be invisible. A lot of times owners think they are blocked or enlarged but they are actually just the normal appearance.

-Brandon

dandelion

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Jasper
Can you post a picture? Femoral pores aren't supposed to be invisible. A lot of times owners think they are blocked or enlarged but they are actually just the normal appearance.

-Brandon
They’re not badly overgrown or inflamed, but I started to notice a little while ago that he got a little jumpy like it was sensitive when that part of his leg is touched. I’m not sure if it shows up in the pictures at all, but there’s sort of a slight lump under the skin above the pores like they’re backed up. The were also a bit lighter in color yesterday after his soak.
He is active, but mostly when he is outside his enclosure, like on carpet or grass in our yard (when it’s warm enough), so while he has rough surfaces, I don’t know how much he actually uses them.

Attachments

• CED4FEA3-EB76-4003-8529-A84E8A182B0E.jpeg
    CED4FEA3-EB76-4003-8529-A84E8A182B0E.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 239C6592-AEA0-4017-90AE-F75FECA1F72C.jpeg
    239C6592-AEA0-4017-90AE-F75FECA1F72C.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 72

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They’re not badly overgrown or inflamed, but I started to notice a little while ago that he got a little jumpy like it was sensitive when that part of his leg is touched. I’m not sure if it shows up in the pictures at all, but there’s sort of a slight lump under the skin above the pores like they’re backed up. The were also a bit lighter in color yesterday after his soak.
He is active, but mostly when he is outside his enclosure, like on carpet or grass in our yard (when it’s warm enough), so while he has rough surfaces, I don’t know how much he actually uses them.
I see they are flat -- its when they start protruding you want to get them soaked and unplugged- a rough surface is good so that may keep them down --

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom