Baths after removing stitches

Subion

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
My bearded, Zilla had a huge follicle removal last month and infection. I was talking to a few people on here about that really helped and seems to know their stuff so I have a new question and was hoping someone may know.

Today I took her to get her stitches removed. In the last 6 weeks she only went bathroom 2 times. she’s use to going when she’s in the tub unless it’s an emergency and she can’t hold it. She hasn’t went for a Little over 2 weeks. I told the vet and they said to give her a warm bath when I get home to help. We set outside for about an hour or so after getting in and finally went to give her a bath.

She never got off my hand and went more then I thought she could have held. Like seriously I’m surprised there was room for organs. Anyways she didn’t get in to deep. Maybe very little of her incision, I’d say probally an inch at most, was in the water. Someone told me afterwards that I should wait for a week at least after to be safe before bathing since she just had stitches removed. Does anyone know how long for sure I should wait before I give her another? I’m hoping it doesn’t hurt she already had a little bit of her belly in the water, the incision looks good, I just want to be careful.

Thanks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If the incision area looks clean and well -healed it should be fine. Still, you can wait another week before putting her in and try to get as little of the area in the water as possible. You can put a glob of neosporin on it or raw honey to act as a water repellent as well as an antimicrobial. In a week or 2 it should be obvious if the area is in no danger of developing an infection but it should be fine.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Waiting a week before submerging in water is the usual guide for human patients. I would guess that is where that came from. I only work with humans, not in a veterinary office.

Again, I do not work with animals, but I would ask the veterinarian what are the risks of infection and dehiscence (incision reopening) from soaking/submerging in water. Those are still two risks from any type of surgical procedure until sufficient time has passed. Reptiles heal slower than endotherms like us so the timeline for recovery is longer.

Subion

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Thank you everyone for the help.

Her incision area looks really good. No sign of redness or anything. I do have another vet appointment this week. She jumped off my shoulder 2 days ago and hit the floor. I told the vets assistant yesterday when they were taking out stitches and he asked the vet. I’ve only ever been able to go in the room or see the vet first visit because of the covid situation. She said to watch her since she was gaping in the office it could be a sign something happened. But I had the car hot so I think that was it. Although today she’s been wanting in the shade when outside or even in the window. She feels cold to the touch just doesn’t want in any heat unless it’s in her cage for some reason. So to be safe I’m going to take her in have her looked at just to make sure the fall or even the water didn’t irritate her in some way. Last I want is her to get another infection or have anything going on inside her after all she’s been through. I’m probably worried over nothing though.

Subion

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
Oh boy, shoulder rides are dangerous for just that reason no matter how much we trust our beardies. That could have damaged or even opened the wound back up but hopefully everything is O.K
Normally she doesn’t jump. In the almost 6 years I’ve had her she maybe jumped 2-3 times when she was little. Usually she would give some kind of sign she’s about to jump like she hesitate and look at the floor a bit or try to climb down, this time she didn’t. I always hold her when I walk with her on me, I had something in one hand and took my hand off her long enough to opened the door and she just went for it for some reason. She acts fine today. Eating good and running around. I’m just going to have her checked to be safe nothing happened I can’t see.

Subion

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zilla
So got back from the vet a bit ago. X-ray shows no broken bones. Ultrasound shows no fluid buildup up or leaking anywhere inside. Only thing is she has a few bruises on her lungs wich they said may be from the fall. My vet put her on a small dose of pain meds twice a day to see if it helps. If by Mon if she acts like she’s not more active I’m to call in to get another appointment to take another look at her.

I did find out today that they put metal clasps in her during surgery to hold everything in place after removing the follicle buildup. They said they are still in place and look good. I wasn’t told anything about them doing this before today. Is that a normal part of the procedure? My vet has only done 2 of these before and no one has mentioned them in any of the research I did before hand on follicle build up. could this cause issues down the line in any way? Just worried my vet might have did something that wasn’t needed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom