Basking

Bo1075

My first ever bearded dragon Sid was delivered yesterday and he ate like 30-40 dubia roaches a bit a little while after I got him and a just a tiny bit of dandelion greens, like 2 or 3 pieces. He then went to the hot side of his enclosure on the slate where it’s like 90-94 but didn’t go up to the basking area where it’s 111 at the hottest point generally 104-110. I haven’t seen him ever go up there by himself, i placed him up there after his little bath today and he adjusted himself and had been up there for a couple hours now relaxing.

The driftwood doesn’t have much texture and seems a bit slippery for him. Is there any chance he needs better access up there? Or is it normal for him to not be going up there on his own? He also hasn’t pooped since I got him. I figured maybe it was because he is still adjusting to his new home but I’m not sure. Also in the pic with the hammock, is it too close to the uvb? It’s like 6 inches from it and he went up there yesterday evening to prepare for sleep.

Temps are at the lowest 77-78on the cool side, generally 81-83 hot side 90-94 humidity around 42%. CHE keeps it 73 at night but the room generally doesn’t get below 69 so I’m not so sure how needed it is. temps taken with a heat gun. UVB reptizoo 10.0 HO. 100 watt basking light.

Thank you

Attachments

• F3CD5CAB-4C38-4738-9B34-F54D1C313AE8.jpeg
    F3CD5CAB-4C38-4738-9B34-F54D1C313AE8.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 4ECCDB24-8226-425C-A00D-C9F135A356BD.jpeg
    4ECCDB24-8226-425C-A00D-C9F135A356BD.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 129DC377-0EDA-4640-ABBB-F9FFED22EB56.jpeg
    129DC377-0EDA-4640-ABBB-F9FFED22EB56.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 83

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My first ever bearded dragon Sid was delivered yesterday and he ate like 30-40 dubia roaches a bit a little while after I got him and a just a tiny bit of dandelion greens, like 2 or 3 pieces. He then went to the hot side of his enclosure on the slate where it’s like 90-94 but didn’t go up to the basking area where it’s 111 at the hottest point generally 104-110. I haven’t seen him ever go up there by himself, i placed him up there after his little bath today and he adjusted himself and had been up there for a couple hours now relaxing.

The driftwood doesn’t have much texture and seems a bit slippery for him. Is there any chance he needs better access up there? Or is it normal for him to not be going up there on his own? He also hasn’t pooped since I got him. I figured maybe it was because he is still adjusting to his new home but I’m not sure. Also in the pic with the hammock, is it too close to the uvb? It’s like 6 inches from it and he went up there yesterday evening to prepare for sleep.

Temps are at the lowest 77-78on the cool side, generally 81-83 hot side 90-94 humidity around 42%. CHE keeps it 73 at night but the room generally doesn’t get below 69 so I’m not so sure how needed it is. temps taken with a heat gun. UVB reptizoo 10.0 HO. 100 watt basking light.

Thank you
I recommend a digital probe thermometer- they give the most accurate temps - juvie/ adult dragons like temps 95-100 surface - you might want to change the log piece out if he's having traction issues- the uvb bulb I recommend changing out to a Arcadia 12% or a reptisun 10.0 T 5 they are the best on the market at this time and recommended on this board- your screen looks to be a wide holed? Your distance is going to be determined by that

Bo1075

Original Poster
okay, thanks! I’ll get an Arcadia or zoomed 10.0 soon. I’m not sure if the mesh is wide holed or not, I’ll attach a closeup.

The breeder I got him from told me 105-110 and to verify with a heat gun. Do you think I should move the hide to the hot side to use as a basking platform instead? He seems to be able to get up on the hammock and hide easily, he just jumps right up.

Attachments

• C71D32F1-A805-4B56-9B9D-4565A2C8BDEE.jpeg
    C71D32F1-A805-4B56-9B9D-4565A2C8BDEE.jpeg
    513.3 KB · Views: 80

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
okay, thanks! I’ll get an Arcadia or zoomed 10.0 soon. I’m not sure if the mesh is wide holed or not, I’ll attach a closeup.

The breeder I got him from told me 105-110 and to verify with a heat gun. Do you think I should move the hide to the hot side to use as a basking platform instead? He seems to be able to get up on the hammock and hide easily, he just jumps right up.
Ok so he is how old? Babies like up to 4 months old 105-110 but as they get older they don't like the higher temps-- you can try the hide it will give him different temps to bask - your uvb I am sketchy on the screen - I would move it into the tank or unobstruct it and have the distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- you can pull your screen out towards the front of the tank and place the uvb on the back

Bo1075

Original Poster
Ok so he is how old? Babies like up to 4 months old 105-110 but as they get older they don't like the higher temps-- you can try the hide it will give him different temps to bask - your uvb I am sketchy on the screen - I would move it into the tank or unobstruct it and have the distance 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- you can pull your screen out towards the front of the tank and place the uvb on the back
Im not 100% sure how old he is, I’ll call the breeder tomorrow and ask. He may be a bit older than 4 months. Okay thank you, I’ll put the t5 Inside the enclosure. I just looked at the box, the fixture supports high output bulbs but the one that came with it is not high output. I’ll also move the hide to the basking area and see if he uses it to bask on his own.

Bo1075

Original Poster
I decided to go pick up an arkadia 12 this morning right when petsmart opened, I put it above the screen, it’s like 8 inches from his basking spot, he seams to bask more and he had a nice poop and seams more active. Thanks for the help!! @KarrieRee

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 77

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I decided to go pick up an arkadia 12 this morning right when petsmart opened, I put it above the screen, it’s like 8 inches from his basking spot, he seams to bask more and he had a nice poop and seams more active. Thanks for the help!! @KarrieRee
Sounds good is the screen a wide hole or a fine mesh? The screen will determine the placement and distance

Bo1075

Original Poster
Hmm I don’t know if it’s fine mesh or not, I attached a picture above, I can put a coin next to it for scale when I get home. It’s not as fine as regular window screen.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hmm I don’t know if it’s fine mesh or not, I attached a picture above, I can put a coin next to it for scale when I get home. It’s not as fine as regular window screen.
Fine screen needs to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - need more help let me know w/ getting it hung I a can help

Bo1075

Original Poster
Fine screen needs to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor - need more help let me know w/ getting it hung I a can help
Okay, how would I get it directly above the basking decor if the basking lamp is right above it? I have it next to the basking lamp right now, thanks for the help it’s much appreciated

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay, how would I get it directly above the basking decor if the basking lamp is right above it? I have it next to the basking lamp right now, thanks for the help it’s much appreciated
The fixture can sit width wise across the tank next y the basking bulb

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom