basking spot too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I recently bought a new rock for my beardies tank. She loves sitting on it. However, it does get hot. My temp gun has not arrived yet so I'm thinking that it's in the 105 range. She sits on it must of the day but when she does she kinda raises her right hand and stands on the back of her hand. She does not do this anywhere else and walks fine. She only does this on her rock. She has no burns and when I lightly squeeze her hand she does not react in pain so it's not burned. Any suggestions? Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The heat rocks can be dangerous because dragons sense heat from above to help them regulate rather than from their bellies so the rocks can cause burns. If she is using the new rock a lot, then the temps are probably OK. I'd double check them with your temp gun when you have it, but my guess is if it is too hot then she would avoid the hot spot and stay slightly to the side. They're pretty good at regulating their temperature if they have a good gradient available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom