Basking rock

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
My beardie is in a 40 gallon, and he's about two months, roughly 8 inches. (Including tail).

We had a 160watt powersun uv bulb and an 80watt uv ppwersun that we used during the day. My 5 year old broke two of our three bulbs, so we only had one 80watt uv powersun and decided, for the time being, to get him a basking light. We got a flukers 100watt basking bulb. And now, with both of them on, it's made his basking rock too hot.? The thermometer said the rock, specifically, was reading about 108. The hot side reading between 97 and 100, middle about 87 and cool at about 82. Is that 108 too hot for him.? Should I turn off the flukers light and just leave his powersun uv bulb on.?

Attachments

• 20220913_134911.jpg
    20220913_134911.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 95

Asper

Beardie name(s)
Harry
My beardie is in a 40 gallon, and he's about two months, roughly 8 inches. (Including tail).

We had a 160watt powersun uv bulb and an 80watt uv ppwersun that we used during the day. My 5 year old broke two of our three bulbs, so we only had one 80watt uv powersun and decided, for the time being, to get him a basking light. We got a flukers 100watt basking bulb. And now, with both of them on, it's made his basking rock too hot.? The thermometer said the rock, specifically, was reading about 108. The hot side reading between 97 and 100, middle about 87 and cool at about 82. Is that 108 too hot for him.? Should I turn off the flukers light and just leave his powersun uv bulb on.?
Maybe see if you can put a reptile hammock in there for him, I use a zoo med one. Rocks tend to absorb more heat, especially because they are usually dark in color.

Surface temperatures for bearded dragons should not exceed 105

Asper

Beardie name(s)
Harry

Maybe see if you can put a reptile hammock in there for him, I use a zoo med one. Rocks tend to absorb more heat, especially because they are usually dark in color.

Surface temperatures for bearded dragons should not exceed 105 if possibl

Asper

Beardie name(s)
Harry
Additionally, you should raise your basking temperature to 105-110 for a baby bearded dragon 😊 !

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You want the temperature of the light at 105 to 110, you don't want the surface to be that hot. That why we all recommend the digital probes, you can measure the temp of the light, and the ir guns can give you the temp of the basking material surface. Maybe use a wooden branch for a basking area for niw till you get your light back the way you want them wood won't hold as much heat as the rock does

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
You want the temperature of the light at 105 to 110, you don't want the surface to be that hot. That why we all recommend the digital probes, you can measure the temp of the light, and the ir guns can give you the temp of the basking material surface. Maybe use a wooden branch for a basking area for niw till you get your light back the way you want them wood won't hold as much heat as the rock does
That's what I couldn't figure. If surface temperature needed to be 105, or atmospheric. I turned the flukers light off and put the CHE back on but the temperature dropped to like 87, which even when those two things were on yesterday, it wasn't that low. So somethings going on with his lighting situation.

What about an under the tank heat mat.? If it makes a difference, he has reptile carpet in his tank.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I haven't had much luck with those heat mats personally, they always seemed to stop working pretty quick after i got them. But they will raise the temp some (as long as they will keep working lol)

fcooper

Hatchling Member
108 is high, but a Beardie can manage it for a short time. The problem with this is that if it’s the surface of a stone it’s likely to be hazardous to your dragon as they don’t feel the heat through their bellies in the same way and can burn.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom