Basking light

J0sie

I have just got a juvenile bearded dragon yesterday. I have been reading up lots but wanted to check I have the basking light bulb correct or if need a stronger wattage. I have a vivarium that is L44 x D20 x H15 inches and i think 57 gallons. It was second hand and already had the basking set up with it. The bulb currently in it is a pro rep 60W one. When i put a thermometer directly underneath it on the raised log where my beardie basks it does get to a temp of around 35°C or slightly over even but when its down on the substrate nearby its at about 32°C. Is this warm enough or should i upgrade it to a 100W?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have just got a juvenile bearded dragon yesterday. I have been reading up lots but wanted to check I have the basking light bulb correct or if need a stronger wattage. I have a vivarium that is L44 x D20 x H15 inches and i think 57 gallons. It was second hand and already had the basking set up with it. The bulb currently in it is a pro rep 60W one. When i put a thermometer directly underneath it on the raised log where my beardie basks it does get to a temp of around 35°C or slightly over even but when its down on the substrate nearby its at about 32°C. Is this warm enough or should i upgrade it to a 100W?
The 95 F is good - they usually like temps 95-100 F --- are you taking that temp w/ a digital probe thermometer and is he basking under it? What are you using for a UVB? coil or a long tube fixture w/ a reflector in it

J0sie

Original Poster
The 95 F is good - they usually like temps 95-100 F --- are you taking that temp w/ a digital probe thermometer and is he basking under it? What are you using for a UVB? coil or a long tube fixture w/ a reflector in it
No just a plain old thermometer that came with the viv. Was looking into getting an infrared one to keep an eye on temps possibly. Was just worried incase it wasnt hot enough in there for him but just after posting this he was on his basking log with mouth open which i read could be gaping so he is at a good temp hopefully and its hot enough for him 😊 Hes also now under the log maybe cooling off. Yes has been basking under it lots. I have an arcadia pro T5 12% 24W one coming tomorrow. Thank you for your advice 😊 I feel like im reading so much on different sites but the info can be quite conflicting.

J0sie

Original Poster
Also how much light are you giving your bearded dragons at the moment? Is 12 hours ok? Read 10-12 for winter amd 14-16 for summer.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No just a plain old thermometer that came with the viv. Was looking into getting an infrared one to keep an eye on temps possibly. Was just worried incase it wasnt hot enough in there for him but just after posting this he was on his basking log with mouth open which i read could be gaping so he is at a good temp hopefully and its hot enough for him 😊 Hes also now under the log maybe cooling off. Yes has been basking under it lots. I have an arcadia pro T5 12% 24W one coming tomorrow. Thank you for your advice 😊 I feel like im reading so much on different sites but the info can be quite conflicting.
Great UVB --- is your tank a solid top or screen? I would recommend getting the digital probe thermometer 2 of them - you want a actual surface basking temps- IR guns are good but often do not give accurate temps - some materials will throw them off

J0sie

Original Poster
Great UVB --- is your tank a solid top or screen? I would recommend getting the digital probe thermometer 2 of them - you want a actual surface basking temps- IR guns are good but often do not give accurate temps - some materials will throw them off
It has a storage bit above the tank but has mesh between top of viv and top of the storage part. Will look into those thermometers thank you 😊

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom