Basking light help

Sandy's World

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sandy
My bearded dragon Sandy's basking light only gets up to about 90 or 95F. I'm worried about this as she has a quite large tank. Currently using a 100w "Repti Basking Spot Lamp" by Zoo Med, placed at the top of the screen lid. Her tank dimensions are L23in, by W19in, by H23in, a recycled fish tank. Any suggestions? Should I be putting my basking lamp inside the tank rather than on top of the lid? Does anybody have a recommended enclosure instead of the one I'm currently using? Thanks!

Solution
My bearded dragon Sandy's basking light only gets up to about 90 or 95F. I'm worried about this as she has a quite large tank. Currently using a 100w "Repti Basking Spot Lamp" by Zoo Med, placed at the top of the screen lid. Her tank dimensions are L23in, by W19in, by H23in, a recycled fish tank. Any suggestions? Should I be putting my basking lamp inside the tank rather than on top of the lid? Does anybody have a recommended enclosure instead of the one I'm currently using? Thanks!
Sounds like you using a 40 gallon tank --- the tanks temps can depend on what room you have it in cold or warm --- is the tank on the floor-- there are several options to get it warmer - one you can put a piece of wood or something on part of the...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sounds like you using a 40 gallon tank --- the tanks temps can depend on what room you have it in cold or warm --- is the tank on the floor-- there are several options to get it warmer - one you can put a piece of wood or something on part of the tank to keep heat in - move the light into the tank or simply get a higher wattage bulb -- how old is the basking bulb over time they loose their intensity -- the temps your getting are a surface basking temp? And your getting this temp w/ a digital probe thermometer? Those are the most accurate -- as far as a new tank most people usually go for 120 gallon tanks - most popular I have seen are the Zen Habitats I have two of them --

Solution

Sandy's World

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sandy
Sounds like you using a 40 gallon tank --- the tanks temps can depend on what room you have it in cold or warm --- is the tank on the floor-- there are several options to get it warmer - one you can put a piece of wood or something on part of the tank to keep heat in - move the light into the tank or simply get a higher wattage bulb -- how old is the basking bulb over time they loose their intensity -- the temps your getting are a surface basking temp? And your getting this temp w/ a digital probe thermometer? Those are the most accurate -- as far as a new tank most people usually go for 120 gallon tanks - most popular I have seen are the Zen Habitats I have two of them --
No, the tank is not on the floor. It is on a raised cupboard set (common among aquariums) and is quite long but sort of slim. The house temperature is 77F and her tank is in the living/kitchen. The thermometer is a bit old so that could be the case. Basking bulb is replaced every time it burns out, maybe lasts about 2-4 months. I assume we are on month 2 for this basking bulb. Thank you for your help, I always thought her tank was big since it was considered plenty of space for fish. Definitely will be looking into larger, specialized bearded dragon tanks if my parents will allow it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No, the tank is not on the floor. It is on a raised cupboard set (common among aquariums) and is quite long but sort of slim. The house temperature is 77F and her tank is in the living/kitchen. The thermometer is a bit old so that could be the case. Basking bulb is replaced every time it burns out, maybe lasts about 2-4 months. I assume we are on month 2 for this basking bulb. Thank you for your help, I always thought her tank was big since it was considered plenty of space for fish. Definitely will be looking into larger, specialized bearded dragon tanks if my parents will allow it.
Ok try a flukers basking bulb next time - are you using a digital probe thermometer?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I don't think so, it sits at the bottom of the tank. I do want to get one though.
Ok please place the probe on the spot he sits for basking -- wait 10 min or so get the temps-- you don't need to leave it there you can place it on the side of the tank it will give ambient temps-- I would get two one for the cool side- do you know the temp on that side? These temps are very important- try Petco or PetSmart

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom