Basking behavior vs tempature targets.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would recommend you move the uvb off the wall and have it directly above the basking decor - 12-15 inches

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
It is about 3-4in off the wall and directedly above the highest basking point at 12 in.

Better view:
20230327_130103.jpg

Since I took that picture I made the bulb changes mentioned before and added a hammock down the length of the uvb so he can get to it without the heat as desired:

20230331_184749.jpg

Which I'm glad I did as he's been hanging out there since I put it in.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your UVB bulb is fine, the cylindrical shape of the bulb makes it non-directional anyways. That's why a reflector essentially doubles its output; it's redirecting what would be wasted UVB going upwards, back downwards and outwards.

Looks like he likes the changes :)

-Brandon

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Your UVB bulb is fine, the cylindrical shape of the bulb makes it non-directional anyways. That's why a reflector essentially doubles its output; it's redirecting what would be wasted UVB going upwards, back downwards and outwards.

Looks like he likes the changes :)

-Brandon
Yeah he spent about 30 minutes licking every inch of the tile (it was clean) before he decided it was ok. He's a wierdo.

I'm happy with the uvb coverage now. The hammock gives him a pretty good gradient as well as a "partial shade" option underneath.

Any thoughts on the arcadia 12 vs the reptisun 10 for my setup? I bought the arcadia because I didn't factor in the hanging bars when calculating my distance. It ends up I'm right at 12in on the basking rock and 12-14 on the hammock.

*edit* for clarity I have both bulbs. The reptisun is currently in the fixture. The arcadia is in it's box.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The Arcadia 12% and the reptisun 10.0 HO are pretty similiar bulbs. Nearly identical output strengths with the slight edge going to the Arcadia. The distance you have currently is fine.

And like you mentioned, it's good now that he has some "shade" area. It's important to have a UV gradient just like you have a temperature gradient.

-Brandon

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
The Arcadia 12% and the reptisun 10.0 HO are pretty similiar bulbs. Nearly identical output strengths with the slight edge going to the Arcadia. The distance you have currently is fine.

And like you mentioned, it's good now that he has some "shade" area. It's important to have a UV gradient just like you have a temperature gradient.

-Brandon
Ah, i assumed the 12 was 20% stronger than the 10 given the names. If they are roughly equivalent I'll just keep the arcadia in the box and pop it in when it's time to replace the reptisun. Thanks.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I've just got one question, now that you've got all this worked out, and everything is good in the universe, he is your daughters beardie and in her room which means limited access. Your clearly head over heels for him so ....... when are you going to start building a habitat for YOUR beardie lmao 🤣 😂 😆 (you know,the one you dont have to share 😉). (Just making jokes 😁)

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
I've just got one question, now that you've got all this worked out, and everything is good in the universe, he is your daughters beardie and in her room which means limited access. Your clearly head over heels for him so ....... when are you going to start building a habitat for YOUR beardie lmao 🤣 😂 😆 (you know,the one you dont have to share 😉). (Just making jokes 😁)
Ha! I have to admit the thought has crossed my mind. However as much as I love Beebz I also spend an absolutely silly amount of time stressing and obsessing over every aspect of his little life. I don't think I'd have time add another dragon to my life.

Of course that doesn't stop me from eyeing the spot in the living room I used to keep an aquarium. Maybe one day. I kept fish for about 10 years but gave up that hobby as it took up so much time and I'd beat myself up every time I lost a fish, which when you have ~20 across 5 tanks like I did was going to be a fairly common occurrence despite my best efforts.

Plus my daughter really wants something for beebz old enclosure. Unfortunately the more I look into the communities that actually keep reptiles the more it appears no reptile should actually be kept in a 15g enclosure. It looks like maybe a male pacman frog would be ok, but he'd probably really prefer a 20g+.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I gave up fish 30 years ago, i love beautiful aquariums but keeping them that way is has to be a hobby of passion, it was beyond me lol.
I think wickens wicked reptiles on youtube did a video of animals that can live in a small set up. I'll see if i can find and link it. The first one is for 10 gallon tanks, the second is 20 gallon tanks. I have to confess i haven't watched either though.

Beardie name(s)
Spike
Yeah my bearded dragon basks and then moves around in his tank a lot. This is his setup (I had him since my biology teacher moved away)
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 58

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yeah my bearded dragon basks and then moves around in his tank a lot. This is his setup (I had him since my biology teacher moved away) View attachment 81306
Your dragon does not look very good --- please get him into a longer tank optimal tank is a 4x2x2 we can post links for them --- its too high and I see NO temp gauges or a long tube fixture for a UVB --- your dragon is getting sick -- surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - next a UVB please get this ASAP--- for for now get him outside for direct sunlight 15- 30 minutes per day sitting on you --- if you use a container it needs to be plastic NO glass do not leave him - supervise him so he does not overheat or predators get him --- I can post 3 good UVB's for you but you must get this now -- he wont survive w/ out one --

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I agree with Karrieree 100%.
If you don't get uvb on him asap he will develop mbd and will not thrive.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom