Ball Python Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I have a few ball python questions for any owners of them.

How big a cage should I start off with?
I understand that juvenile snakes can get overly stressed in too large of a cage.

Is there any special lighting or heating required for Ball Pythons?
I know that they have to have heating such as an under tank heater.

What kind of substrates could I use?
I would like to use something that would replicate its natural habitat, such as Eco-Earth.

What are the temperature ranges the snake needs?
I know that the temperatures MUST be consistent and correct.

What is the entire supplies list for a juvenile and an adult?
I would like a full list of supplies.

What other good starter snakes are there?
I would like to know what good snakes there are in this world. I am not really a fan of anything from the desert...

Thanks for all your help! You guys are the best. I should post pictures of Jessica my beardie soon!

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Ahh, finally somebody who has an interest in ball pythons such as myself! I'd like to refer you to ball-pythons.net for extensive care-guides for them, but I'll answer your questions :) Here is a great caresheet: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?127203-Ball-Python-(Python-regius)-Caresheet

ColoradoRiverRafter":jq448wmn said:
Hey all, I have a few ball python questions for any owners of them.

How big a cage should I start off with? Start with a 20Gallon Long tank, this will suffice until adulthood, even adults can stay in a tank this size.
I understand that juvenile snakes can get overly stressed in too large of a cage.

Is there any special lighting or heating required for Ball Pythons? Yes, this is very very important, they must have a temp. gradient (much like beardies). An undertank heater is required and you MUST have a thermostat attached to it, put the probe under the substrate against the glass. (Or between the heater and the glass).
I know that they have to have heating such as an under tank heater.

What kind of substrates could I use?Aspen bedding is the most widely accepted bedding. It is very important not to use eco-earth, coconut husk, or cedar. Cedar has toxic oils in it and the others don't do well in humid environments (It's important to keep the tank relatively humid)
I would like to use something that would replicate its natural habitat, such as Eco-Earth.

What are the temperature ranges the snake needs?Cool side of 80-85 and Hot side of 90-95
I know that the temperatures MUST be consistent and correct.

What is the entire supplies list for a juvenile and an adult?This is tough but I'll try my best:
20Gallon Long tank (with lid IMPORTANT).
TWO IDENTICAL Hides: One for the hot side and one for the cool side.. they MUST be identical.
16” Hemostats http://www.bigappleherp.com/Hemostats
Heat Thermostat http://www.bigappleherp.com/BAH-1000-Thermostat
Thermometer: Two location thermometer with min/max: DUAL PROBE http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Deluxe-Thermometers-Humidity-Gauges
Thermometer: Humidity Gauge & Thermometer: SINGLE PROBE http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Deluxe-Thermometers-Humidity-Gauges
Zoo Med Undertank Heater: MEDIUM http://www.bigappleherp.com/Zoo-Med-Repti-Therm-Undertank-Heaters
Aspen Snake Bedding http://www.bigappleherp.com/Zoo-Med-ASPEN-Bedding-24-Quart?sc=2&category=29

Don't know if the links still work as that was a copy and paste from my original list.

They don't need lights, that sucks up humidity which you need!

I would like a full list of supplies.

What other good starter snakes are there?Corn snakes
I would like to know what good snakes there are in this world. I am not really a fan of anything from the desert...

Thanks for all your help! You guys are the best. I should post pictures of Jessica my beardie soon!

Ask more questions as you need :)

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
I love corn snakes. :) Balls are great too, as are some boas. Kings are awesome, but higgggh energy. :)

BeardedAaliyah

Hatchling Member
Although Aspen is commonly used, for a Ball, I would suggest paper towels (cheap, easy to use, and keeps humidity levels). Aspen does not retain moisture well, and can dehydrate a Ball. A 20 gallon long is about the size for juvenile ball python, but I would suggest a 40 gallon breeder for an adult (especially an adult female). A Ball isn't too long, but they are thick. If you aren't concerned about display, I would suggest a Sterilite container with locking lid (about 10$ from walmart). They come in many sizes (making it easy to buy a smaller one now, and larger one as they grow), and it keeps humidity well, unlike glass aquarium containers. They also come in clear, which makes it easy to view your reptile. Most snake enthusiasts use these. Everything else the others have listed is great and needed. Just make sure you have a hide and water bowl big enough for them to soak in when they need to, a UTH, and thermostat (or rheostat). Make sure you purchase a quality thermometer and hydrogauge. Digital is the best and most accurate.

Found this to be good for accurate rodent feeding sizes : http://puppiesareprozac.com/pet-care-articles/ball-python-pet-care/

Best of luck! :mrgreen:

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
I find the aspen makes the snake less stressedand have had no humidity issues. The problem with paper towel is I find they mess it up seemingly the moment it is put down :p

BeardedAaliyah

Hatchling Member
kjinxx2":2oxqls43 said:
I find the aspen makes the snake less stressedand have had no humidity issues. The problem with paper towel is I find they mess it up seemingly the moment it is put down :p

If it works for you - great! I just wanted to bring it up in case, Just make sure you're monitoring the snake. It's all about their preferences, not ours! :D Congrats on your BP.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
I switch between aspen and paper towels for my BP seemingly every time I clean it. I cannot seem to decide which is easier. I have heard a lot of good things about BPs in tubs. I keep mine in a 41 quart Sterilite and the thing is a rodent garbage disposal. I have two UTHs, one set to 85 on the same thermostat as my Corn's hot side, and one set to 90-93ish. Eats, sheds, hides...a hiding ball python is a happy ball python. Also, plastic is cheap and as they grow you can move them up to bigger sized enclosures without breaking the bank.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
I switch between aspen and paper towels for my BP seemingly every time I clean it. I cannot seem to decide which is easier. I have heard a lot of good things about BPs in tubs. I keep mine in a 41 quart Sterilite and the thing is a rodent garbage disposal. I have two UTHs, one set to 85 on the same thermostat as my Corn's hot side, and one set to 90-93ish. Eats, sheds, hides...a hiding ball python is a happy ball python. Also, plastic is cheap and as they grow you can move them up to bigger sized enclosures without breaking the bank.

herpchick

Balls are awesome low bite rate- only they can be quite a pain when it comes to eating for instance... My big man only eats WHITE rodents and now only eats RATS since i did the switch and NOW is off food again for the winter until about April.... *grumble grumble*...

When i first was deciding i also had considered corns but decided i wanted something with a little more weight that i would feel about to break in half... although i wish i had gone with a dumerils boa (that will be my next snake :) )

But i guess i cant complain too much he is 4 foot long and only a year and 3 months old so he is doing wonderful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom