Ball Python Having Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a ball python that is a little over 2 years old. She has never had a problem eating....but all of a sudden she is striking at the food but not "connecting" with it....she might hit it but she doesn't grab it and coil around it....it's like she has no more teeth to grab hold of the prey....anyone have any thoughts on this?

ReptileGirl":3b9boi6e said:
I have a ball python that is a little over 2 years old. She has never had a problem eating....but all of a sudden she is striking at the food but not "connecting" with it....she might hit it but she doesn't grab it and coil around it....it's like she has no more teeth to grab hold of the prey....anyone have any thoughts on this?

Does she still eat the prey afterwards? Or is she not eating at all?

ReptileGirl

Original Poster
She can't grab it to coil around it to kill it....she has no eye caps from shedding her eyes are clear...I even knocked out the rat and dangled it in front of her and still she can't grab it to coil....so I left it in there for a bit and she just ignored it but she is acting like she is hungry, her usual way of acting when she is hungry and she strikes at it continually trying to get it if I dangle it

Aleu

Open her mouth to see if her teeth are OK if you are worried. :) I'm willing to bet she is just not hungry and is defensive striking at it (not purposely trying to grab it, but striking to get it to go away).

ReptileGirl

Original Poster
Thanks everyone....I have since found out that it is completely normal for ball pythons to lose their teeth 3-4 times a year when shedding....hope they grow back quick....she is one hungry snake :)

Floof

Juvie Member
ReptileGirl":1sokjhl4 said:
Thanks everyone....I have since found out that it is completely normal for ball pythons to lose their teeth 3-4 times a year when shedding....hope they grow back quick....she is one hungry snake :)

Hmmm... I've been keeping snakes for a while now, and consider myself pretty knowledgeable about them, and I have never heard of this before. Are you sure the source you heard this from is reliable? Because that sounds like total bullhonky.

For ball pythons, I highly recommend http://ball-pythons.net. You can find great information and advice from very knowledgeable ball python keepers there. I'd run this piece of information by them--if anyone is going to know whether it's accurate, it's going to be the keepers at that forum.

Anyway, I agree with Aleu--I would bet she's just not hungry, and rather is defensive striking. Ball pythons are infamous for going off feed regularly, and every snake has a different way of approaching a feeder they don't want. Some coil into a ball, some back off, some will throw a (literal) "hissy fit," and others will strike defensively until it goes away. Like Aleu said... Not trying to grab and eat the prey, just trying to scare it away.

If her refusal to feed continues, double check your snake's environment (heat, humidity, security [as in hiding places], etc), check for any visible illnesses (i.e. lumps, bumps, nasal discharge, bubbles in the mouth.. basically anything out of the ordinary), and stop handling her. Only offer food once every two weeks or so until she starts feeding again. She could just be refusing for some nominal reason like the season change, but it's best to cover all your bases in case there is more to the refusal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom