Baggy Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricthedrummer

Hi there,

This is my first post, so I hope it't up to scratch! Sorry if I'm missing information, but feel free if you need to know any more :)

- Age - 2 and a half
- Size (length from the tip of the snout to the tip of the tail)
- Size of the enclosure - 3ft Vivarium
- Temperatures - Cool end: 84 day, 74 night. Basking spot - 112
- Type of substrate - Herbi bed
- Diet - Locusts and veggies. 10-15 every other day.
- Any other info you think may help others understand the situation.

He was very badly looked after before we got him. I think he had impaction from a sand substrate. No basking light, a UV that looked like it had never been changed. Don't think he'd had a bath ever, and he was being fed pinkies.

I'm just a bit worried about his baggy chin. I've attached some photos, so I hope that helps the explanation.

He also used to spend a lot of time hiding, but since then I've reduced his lighting hours from 13 hours to 11.

wrxu8m.jpg

2w7mpms.jpg

ricthedrummer

Original Poster
No, not yet, but I think we will be doing tomorrow!

I think the stress from moving, and the lack of care given to him by his previous owners must be the culprit. I hope he's okay.

How life threatening is MBD? Is there anything I can do until I can get him to the vet?

Poor Archie :(

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, welcome to the forum. Your beardie is very cute, love the coloring. How long have you had him?

Sometimes beardies do get droopy beards as they get older, it can even be hereditary.

I noticed that his left front leg is quite swollen and it looks like he may have a sore on top of that leg too. Is he able to walk around ok? It would be a good idea to have a vet check him out.

A basking spot of 112 is VERY high for an adult and can cause dehydration. Babies like temps up to 110 but adults prefer it cooler, like around 102 or so. What type of thermometer are you using to check the temps?

What brand & type of UVB do you have and what is the distance of it to the basking spot? How often are you dusting with calcium & vitamins? What greens does he eat?

Noticed that you're using some type of pellet as a substrate. If eaten, it can cause impaction. Also, loose substrates are a breeding ground for bacteria as it's impossible to clean up all the liquid and waste when they poop. Seems like it would be a little hard for him to walk on too.

CiaraAlexisOnFire

Juvie Member
ricthedrummer":xa1gdwbj said:
No, not yet, but I think we will be doing tomorrow!

I think the stress from moving, and the lack of care given to him by his previous owners must be the culprit. I hope he's okay.

How life threatening is MBD? Is there anything I can do until I can get him to the vet?

Poor Archie :(

He may not have it, but to me it looks like he might so just hope for the best! MBD can be very painful for beardies. My little guy had MBD and little things like a good diet and natural sunlight every day helps. Also supporting all their limbs when you pick them up helps. Make sure you keep up on his UVB care. Change the bulb every 6 months and keep it on for 4 hours a day.

ricthedrummer

Original Poster
We've only had him for a few weeks now, but the previous owners (curse them) had him for a few years.

He seems to be able to walk okay, but it was proving difficult for him a while ago.

I will definitely be getting him to a vet ASAP, and I will lower the basking spot temperature :) I use a digital thermometer to measure the temps. I have a reptiSUN 10.0 UVB and it's about 3-4 inches from the ground across the back of the viv. I dust his food with calcium every day at the moment, since I saw him do a head twitch, which I know can be a sign of calcium deficiency.

He's a little bugger when it comes to eating greens though, I think that has something to do with his previous owners. They didn't feed him any......*sigh*

The substrate is a herbi-bed. It was recommended by my two local reptile pet shops. Whenever there's moisture on it, it breaks down super quickly, so makes for easy clean up, and also doesn't cause impaction. Although Archie does seem to have the most ridiculous aim for any beardie I've seen!

Thanks so much for everyone's response!

I'll keep you up to date from the vet trip :)

ricthedrummer

Original Poster
Thanks for asking!

Archie is doing just swell :)

I took him to see someone, and they said he's absolutely fine. He's just adapting to a new home and new owners etc. He's also just a bit fat (hence the chubby arms). I know his past owners used to feed him LOADS of worms and pinkies (eugh, I know right?)

Recently, he's been an absolute joy! He's been so sociable and cute and adorable :)

Although he's still a fussy bugger about what he eats ;)

Thank you for your concern, and thank you so much for the advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom