BADLY SWOLLEN LEG, Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmelena127

Original Poster
oh okay. If i remember correctly, the first time Alfred shed some of the retained skin on his right hind leg, the scales seemed to have come off. The best way i could explain it is that instead of shedding the shape of the scales he was literally shedding off the scales and what was under it seemed to be skin with little to no scales so it freaked me out and i would still bathe him but i wouldn't mess with it so much. And we tried addressing that but the vet just told us to expose him to sunlight.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So he has a fracture on the leg area?
Gosh, that is terrible. I would try to get some liquid calcium to help with bone strength.
Which UVB tube are you using, is it the Reptisun 10, the Reptiglo 10 or the Arcadia D3 12%?
How close is it to him?

A lot of your description sounds like a fungal issue. You could start treating him for fungus to get a start on it. You can give a diluted betadine bath & then get some lamisil or monistat cream to put on his skin, daily.
Be sure to keep his basking platform low so that he doesn't fall & hurt himself with compromised bones.

Is he eating very well?

Tracie

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Ty Tracie, I was hoping you would see this thread. I have told her all I know to do which is what you have told her. I was thinking retained shed or fungal issues. Its hard to see in the pictures for me as I have poor eyesight. That's why I told her retained shed or fungal.

rmelena127

Original Poster
Hello Tracie,
Thank you so much for your response. I believe i have a reptisun 10. It runs the length of the tank and is about the height of the tank away from him which i believe is about 9 inches tall. I have removed all rocks and branches and just left him with a soft cloth, his food and water dish, and some leaves that he can't climb but provide shade. He eats great, we feed him three small meals a day with his meds two times with those meals. He eats his medication very well and eats his crickets as well. Where can i get the betadine for the bath and the lamisil or monistat cream?

Thank you so much Tonja, for telling me everything you could. I went ahead and bought a ceramic lamp and gave Alfred a little cloth for his tank. He absolutely loves it and is sleeping so soundly!

Tonja

BD.org Addict
You are very welcome and I hope it helped. I wish the best for you and your little scaley man. Let us know how he does.

rmelena127

Original Poster
i will! i just have one last question. once i get the betadine, what should i look out for incase he doesn't react well to it or what are the ratios i should use?

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Start with water and add betadine a tiny amount at a time, you want it to look like weak tea. I do one part betadine to 4 parts water or 3 parts water. I would suggest you have your vet look at her for fungal infection especially yellow fungus. He would probably need to do a skin scraping of the area or a biopsy to determine fungal infection. I have myself never dealt with any fungal infections in mine so I am not sure what to look for in that respect.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Alfred looks so sweet!
The cream can be applied once daily after his bath so his skin is nice & soft.
Do you also have probiotics to use too just in case his system needs help?
If he doesn't react well to the anti-fungal cream, he will likely black beard or become lethargic, etc.
As Tonja suggested, you could get a skin biopsy or scraping to have it tested for yellow fungus in particular.

How is he doing today?

Tracie

rmelena127

Original Poster
he slept soundly last night and right now he seems so lively and full of energy. He's quite smart and always waits in the middle of the tank to get carried and to get fed. He completely loved his blanket/cloth. He's eating well as usual. I don't think I've ever had any trouble with him eating. I bathed him last night and he actually swam a bit. I haven't purchased anything yet because the stores were closed last night but i will today and i just hope he doesn't react badly to it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear that he slept so well & has a lot of energy today!
That is so sweet he waits to get out in the middle of his tank to get his food & get held. They are super smart I agree!
I hope he doesn't have a reaction to the cream, either. He shouldn't but you never know, some have. Just start with once a day, to see how it goes. You could go every other day since he is small, to see if that helps out.
I am happy he has a great appetite, too!

Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

rmelena127

Original Poster
I ended up bathing him two days ago with some shed ease because he was shedding his neck and it was rubbing with a towel on the black part of his right hind leg and it turns out that it was constricted skin. It came off as a whole piece but some of it stayed there so his leg is still a bit swollen but not as much anymore. The skin that was under the black skin looked a little bit unhealthy because not all the scales were facing the same way but it was orange like the rest of his body, not black. So I'm guessing that's the newest layers of skin he had and not the constricted skin. As soon as i get paid, I'm gonna go ahead and take him to the vet just to see if he has a fungal issue. I'll keep on posting on his health soon. Thank you so much again for everything.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I am so happy to hear that you got that retained shed off him. I am sure he will feel better without it on his leg. Good idea to take him to the vet to make sure he doenst have a fungal infection.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is fantastic news about his leg! I am glad that it was just retained shed then, wonderful.
How is it looking today? Is he eating a lot now?
Let us know how the vet visit goes! I hope that there isn't any fungal issues either.

Tracie

rmelena127

Original Poster
hello guys!
i'm so very sorry i haven't responded in a very long time but i am glad to say that Alfred has been doing so much better! after the constricted piece came off his leg wasn't as swollen anymore and he became so very active! he still loves his blankie and won't go to bed without it. also, i've been working on his metabolic bone condition cause he does have it very slightly but since it's summer he's been enjoying the sun with me every day! here are some pictures, enjoy! :D

and thank you so much for all your help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news he has improved so much! I am sure he loves the sunshine, too.
I am glad to hear that the swelling is gone & he is much more active also.
It sounds like he enjoys his blankie too, so many wont sleep without them. :D
Is his appetite improved?

Thanks for the update & pictures, too.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom