Bad Vet Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Clyde had his first ever check-up today at a vet and the way they handled him legitimately made me cry afterward. I want to know how other people’s vet visits normally are and if I am overreacting or not. When they came into the room the got him out of his carrier by throwing a towel over him and clutching him from above. Not great but acceptable. But then she held him so he was almost on his back, still holding him from behind, which makes it hard for them to breathe and that’s when he started to struggle. She got a spatula and pressed it against the tip of his mouth. By this point he was wiggling around and struggling because he was trying to get back onto his stomach. Eventually he bit the spatula out of fear (so she could see in his mouth). She continued to hold him like this and he would struggle, puff out his beard, and at one point I heard him “huff” a few times, like very quick strong breaths that you can hear. Maybe he was struggling to breathe. She pressed in on his belly to feel around while grabbing his neck. Then she wanted to look at his eyes but they were closed because he was so scared and instead of just waiting for him to open them up she tried to pry his eye open with her finger (no gloves). I insisted that he would open his eyes if I just held him. At one point she said I could “hold his tail” to help keep him steady. The whole time this was happening I was kind of freaking out inside and saying I could just hold him or saying that they can’t breathe on their backs. Overall it was a very stressful situation, she wasn’t patient with him at all and it was definitely the most terrifying thing he has ever experienced. Afterwards I felt so bad for letting that happen to him.

Is this normal doctor behavior?

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Clyde had his first ever check-up today at a vet and the way they handled him legitimately made me cry afterward. I want to know how other people’s vet visits normally are and if I am overreacting or not. When they came into the room the got him out of his carrier by throwing a towel over him and clutching him from above. Not great but acceptable. But then she held him so he was almost on his back, still holding him from behind, which makes it hard for them to breathe and that’s when he started to struggle. She got a spatula and pressed it against the tip of his mouth. By this point he was wiggling around and struggling because he was trying to get back onto his stomach. Eventually he bit the spatula out of fear (so she could see in his mouth). She continued to hold him like this and he would struggle, puff out his beard, and at one point I heard him “huff” a few times, like very quick strong breaths that you can hear. Maybe he was struggling to breathe. She pressed in on his belly to feel around while grabbing his neck. Then she wanted to look at his eyes but they were closed because he was so scared and instead of just waiting for him to open them up she tried to pry his eye open with her finger (no gloves). I insisted that he would open his eyes if I just held him. At our point she said I could “hold his tail” to help keep him steady. The whole time this was happening I was kind of freaking out inside and saying I could just hold him or saying that they can’t breathe on their backs. Overall it was a very stressful situation, she wasn’t patient with him at all and it was definitely the most terrifying thing he has ever experienced. Afterwards I felt so bad for letting that happen to him.

No please find a new vet-- it sounds like he is now traumatized- what was his behavior after getting home - please do a review of this vet--
To find another vet please use this website and read the reviews before going to them.
www.arav.org if your in a small area type in a bigger cities zip code. I am sorry you had a horrible vet visit

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
No please find a new vet-- it sounds like he is now traumatized- what was his behavior after getting home - please do a review of this vet--
To find another vet please use this website and read the reviews before going to them.
www.arav.org if your in a small area type in a bigger cities zip code. I am sorry you had a horrible vet visit
Thank you. He was okay, I gave him a bath to up his hydration and then I let him be alone. He basked a little but eventually went into his hide, he didn’t eat much today :/
922B617E-61FB-4730-8B82-47A722EC8350.jpeg

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
I’m going to bring in the stool sample she asked for because I want to get that done but I will not be bringing him back ever. I’m going to do another post about his stool issues too because I’m not confident in trusting her advice.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’m going to bring in the stool sample she asked for because I want to get that done but I will not be bringing him back ever. I’m going to do another post about his stool issues too because I’m not confident in trusting her advice.
Post a copy of the report and Tracie drache613 can help

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Since returning from the vet he has eaten very little (one hornworm) and only came out of his hide to poop :/

He is also face shedding a little right now, so that could be part of it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Since returning from the vet he has eaten very little (one hornworm) and only came out of his hide to poop :/

He is also face shedding a little right now, so that could be part of it.
Yes shedding can effect the appetite

Jjurovaty

Photo Comp Winner
Was this an actual reptile vet, that's so disappointing to see, sorry for you and your baby!

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Was this an actual reptile vet, that's so disappointing to see, sorry for you and your baby!
I was an exotic vet that has been in practice for 30 years. Bearded dragons should not be new to her. Thank you <3

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry, that is definitely not the correct way to handle him! I am sure that it did stress him
out. Hopefully the shedding is the primary reason for him acting a bit off. He looks pretty happy
in his hide there, was he or has he been partially brumating before his vet visit?

Tracie

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
Hello,

So sorry, that is definitely not the correct way to handle him! I am sure that it did stress him
out. Hopefully the shedding is the primary reason for him acting a bit off. He looks pretty happy
in his hide there, was he or has he been partially brumating before his vet visit?

Tracie
He came out of brumation about a month ago and was completely up. Now, for the past week, he has been eating less and going into his hide sometimes during the day but poking his head out. The last couple days he has dug in the hide which surprised me because I thought he was done. No sleeping during the day really, he did go down a couple hours early yesterday. When he’s not basking or in his hide he get very restless glass surfing, some days more than others. Last couple of days he only ate his hornworms and no dubia roaches—definitely no salad.

So I’m worried about him, could this be eggs? He has NOT been digging very much, just to get cozy. He is female so potential for eggs.

His poop is also a little off but that has been an issue for much longer. I have another thread on that with photos that are dated.
Here:
Thread 'Pink/Red in Urinate'
Pink/Red in Urinate | Health | Bearded Dragon .org

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Clyde had his first ever check-up today at a vet and the way they handled him legitimately made me cry afterward. I want to know how other people’s vet visits normally are and if I am overreacting or not. When they came into the room the got him out of his carrier by throwing a towel over him and clutching him from above. Not great but acceptable. But then she held him so he was almost on his back, still holding him from behind, which makes it hard for them to breathe and that’s when he started to struggle. She got a spatula and pressed it against the tip of his mouth. By this point he was wiggling around and struggling because he was trying to get back onto his stomach. Eventually he bit the spatula out of fear (so she could see in his mouth). She continued to hold him like this and he would struggle, puff out his beard, and at one point I heard him “huff” a few times, like very quick strong breaths that you can hear. Maybe he was struggling to breathe. She pressed in on his belly to feel around while grabbing his neck. Then she wanted to look at his eyes but they were closed because he was so scared and instead of just waiting for him to open them up she tried to pry his eye open with her finger (no gloves). I insisted that he would open his eyes if I just held him. At one point she said I could “hold his tail” to help keep him steady. The whole time this was happening I was kind of freaking out inside and saying I could just hold him or saying that they can’t breathe on their backs. Overall it was a very stressful situation, she wasn’t patient with him at all and it was definitely the most terrifying thing he has ever experienced. Afterwards I felt so bad for letting that happen to him.

No mam this is NOT normal. I took mines to the vet a month ago for the 1st time and it was nothing like this. What I can tell you is if they was handling him like this is. 1. I would have ask to see him and left 2. They wouldn’t have gotten paid and 3. I would’ve let them know I didn’t appreciate the way they were handling him. I treat mines like they’re my babies both are spoiled and I don’t play when it comes to them.

clyde612

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clyde
No mam this is NOT normal. I took mines to the vet a month ago for the 1st time and it was nothing like this. What I can tell you is if they was handling him like this is. 1. I would have ask to see him and left 2. They wouldn’t have gotten paid and 3. I would’ve let them know I didn’t appreciate the way they were handling him. I treat mines like they’re my babies both are spoiled and I don’t play when it comes to them.
Yeah, I cried for a while after for not having the strength to stop her but I was just in such a state of shock and confusion all I could do was plead and say I could hold him for her but she wouldn’t let me :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom