Baby beardie with bloated belly

Kyomuno

Beardie name(s)
Osiris
So I will start from the beginning. We adopted 3 clutch mates recently. First we brought home levi 3 weeks ago who had issues drinking water at first, but quickly started doing better. We then decided to get Leo who has been pretty healthy over all. A week ago we decided to bring home Osiris. Osiris was visibly underweight and is a fair amount smaller in size compared to the others from the same clutch. After visiting a vet we found out she is blind so we have been having to syringe feed her with our first successful feeding taking place yesterday. When we woke up this morning I noticed her belly seems bloated. I have attached a picture...does this seem normal? She has not pooped yet today, but did poop a small amount yesterday evening. I did call the vet, but they can't get her in until weds :(

Attachments

• 20230320_091258.jpg
    20230320_091258.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 115

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That does not look normal.
What was in the slurry you fed her? Maybe the combination of ingredients caused it, maybe the amount, or it maybe could be because she hasn't been able to eat well due to being blind, her system might not be geared up to process food very well. All just guesses, but imho she doesn't look well. I hope the vet can be of help.

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
That does not look normal.
What was in the slurry you fed her? Maybe the combination of ingredients caused it, maybe the amount, or it maybe could be because she hasn't been able to eat well due to being blind, her system might not be geared up to process food very well. All just guesses, but imho she doesn't look well. I hope the vet can be of help.
We had to order the food the vet recommended (we live in the middle of nowhere and our pet stores sell next to nothing for beardies) so she sent us home with Oxbow Animal Health Critical Care carnivore and has us adding calcium and she also has been given some pureed green beans and carrots. She is still responding to my voice (tilts head and turns it in my direction when I talk) and still moves around a little so her activity level is about normal for how she has been since we got her. I am going to skip her next feeding for now and see if she poops or the swelling goes down...I honestly don't know what else to do. I put in a request for the vet to call if she has time so I can see if she has any suggestions :(

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The Oxbow is very good, I've used it in the past, and I'm fairly sure Zen would not have made it without it.
Try not to skip to many meals with babies, they need a ton of nutrition as babies. Maybe send Tracie a message directly and see if she has any advice, she is a vet tech. Her handle is @Drache613 it's late night when she is on i think.

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
So I will start from the beginning. We adopted 3 clutch mates recently. First we brought home levi 3 weeks ago who had issues drinking water at first, but quickly started doing better. We then decided to get Leo who has been pretty healthy over all. A week ago we decided to bring home Osiris. Osiris was visibly underweight and is a fair amount smaller in size compared to the others from the same clutch. After visiting a vet we found out she is blind so we have been having to syringe feed her with our first successful feeding taking place yesterday. When we woke up this morning I noticed her belly seems bloated. I have attached a picture...does this seem normal? She has not pooped yet today, but did poop a small amount yesterday evening. I did call the vet, but they can't get her in until weds :(
**Update**just now I noticed she has a small amount of clear liquid seeping from her vent. Not enough to make a puddle, but it is there and it keeps very slowly coming out. She still has not pooped today :(

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Maybe put her in a luke warm bath, be very careful though with her being blind it may scare her, they can aspirate really fast and not being able to see may cause her to thrash around or panic. Keep the water below her knees, but she may go potty in the bath, alot of them will.

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
Maybe put her in a luke warm bath, be very careful though with her being blind it may scare her, they can aspirate really fast and not being able to see may cause her to thrash around or panic. Keep the water below her knees, but she may go potty in the bath, alot of them will.
So she pooped a very small amount (about 2 grains of rice sized), but that was all she got out :(

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
Is she spending much time basking? They have to be warm in order to digest. For really little guys 105-110f.
When we first got her she did, but now she constantly flees from the basking area in her tank.

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
When we first got her she did, but now she constantly flees from the basking area in her tank.
Poor girl. Where does she go, towards the cool side of the tank, or just out of the light? Is there a hide on the warm side?

I wonder if she can perhaps still sense light and feels exposed being blind.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Your temps may be to hot, try raising the basking light, or lowering the wattage of the bulb. They have to get up to temp to digest the food they eat, so she needs to spend time basking.
If your not using them i suggest getting two digital probe thermometers to monitor the hot and cool sides independently.

Attachments

• 20220709_185220.jpg
    20220709_185220.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 59

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
She rushes yo the cool side and hides between her water dish and the wall.
Like @xp29 said it's important to verify that the basking area isn't actually too hot. And a probe is the way to do that

If it is the appropriate temp and she's still avoiding it all the time that's likely contributing to any digestion issues she's experiencing, even if it's not the primary cause.

If there is no hide on the warm side I would give her one beyond that I'm not sure what the remedy would be, but definitely double check temps with a probe.

Kyomuno

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Osiris
Like @xp29 said it's important to verify that the basking area isn't actually too hot. And a probe is the way to do that

If it is the appropriate temp and she's still avoiding it all the time that's likely contributing to any digestion issues she's experiencing, even if it's not the primary cause.

If there is no hide on the warm side I would give her one beyond that I'm not sure what the remedy would be, but definitely double check temps with a probe.
Unfortunately Osiris has passed. We rushed to the emergency vet who informed us that she had a perforation in her colon which was allowing waste to seep into her body which caused the swelling. By the time we had arrived her breathing was shallow at best. We are so heart broken over our loss, but I am glad she is no longer suffering. We had her for such a short time, but will miss her for a lifetime. Thank you all so much for the advice and information. It has helped with how I care for my other little guys and I am eternally grateful for all of you.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom