Baby Beardie Trouble Walking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleysmith42

My 5 month old juvenile bearded dragon very suddenly began having trouble walking. That afternoon she was eating and being her usual, active self. When i came home 4 hours later it was completely different. It is as if she is attempting to walk and moving her limbs, but she just drags her body across the floor and is avoiding moving at all costs.

She isn't lethargic, shes alert, but the extremely sudden change is very concerning for me. She gets fed crickets dusted in calcium twice a day. She is in the middle of a shed cycle as she sheds frequently. She just had a bowel movement yesterday so i know she can't be impacted. She doesn't show me signs of being in pain, but she is appearing stressed through heavy breathing. She gets adequate UVB light and I have a thermometer on the warm side of her tank to make sure she doesn't get overheated / too cold.

Any ideas of what's going on would be extremely appreciated because Im very worried :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures you could post for us?
Is there anything in her tank that is high enough for her to have fallen & hurt herself?
Can you review your UVB lighting for us, just so we can be sure everything is all correct.
It does sound very sudden to me, out of the ordinary. Is her beard black?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Ashleysmith42

Original Poster
My first thought was that she fell off her hammock in her tank because of how quick she changed, but she has never fallen before and I don't see any swelling in her limbs and it seems as if all 4 limbs are being affected. She has her UVB light on about 10 hours a day and is 100 watt. I don't have any images, but it looks like she has no strength in her limbs at all. Her beard is not black, but like I said before she's been breathing very heavy which makes me think she's stressed somehow.
A lot of my friends have had baby beardies and I took in a middle aged beardie several years ago and cared for him until he passed and I've never heard of anything like this.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is the UVB a coil or a tube? If its a coil please get rid of it -- if its a tube fixture where in the tank is it top of screen or inside the tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
please tell me brand and what bulb T 5 or a T 8-- this is crucial so we need to get this figured out w/ distance and placement please

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What brand of tube UVB light do you use? Is it a T8 tube, which is the older tube bulb, or
a high output T5 tube?
How is your dragon doing today?

Tracie

Ashleysmith42

Original Poster
I apologize for my lack of response. She passed away the next morning. I don’t have the slightest clue what happened but I don’t think she suffered because it happened SO quickly. Thank you for responding.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I apologize for my lack of response. She passed away the next morning. I don’t have the slightest clue what happened but I don’t think she suffered because it happened SO quickly. Thank you for responding.
I am so sorry -- that is so sad --- there may have been something else at play here -- :cry: please disinfect your tank w/ some Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipe Out or F 10 that is good stuff and can be found on Walmarts website it is spendy and a concentrate - since you dont know exactly what the cause was ---- I hate hearing about them when they pass away so suddenly especially when they are so little -- again I am sorry ---

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so very sorry for your loss, how horrible for you. :cry: It does sound like it was very sudden.
I hope she didn't suffer but I'm glad you were with her.
My condolences for you.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom