Baby Beardie on Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It would be easier for everyone if we kept everything together on one thread. That way there is no confusion as to what you've done so far or what's been suggested so far :)

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree see if you can exchange it -- she is gonna need that stronger bulb--- do you have a small pet carrier ? If not a small box w/ some soft fleece in it would be good - make sure you take paper towels for accidents--
Karrie

maiba

Original Poster
I’m a little low on money right now and this was the bulb that was in my budget for the time being (seemed higher quality than any other of the more reasonably priced bulbs). My dads pretty handy so I will see if he can come over tomorrow and help me figure out a way to hang the light inside the enclosure. I get my last paycheck from my last job on Monday, it was a weeks worth of pay so I’m thinking I should be able to upgrade to the better UVB with that money but this should do for now. I also got a flukers 100w basking bulb, should that work? I have a 75w in my other bearded dragons cage but that’s just because his basking spot is so much closer to the bulb.as far as transportation goes, I have a pet carrier for our cats that I could clean out, would that be too large? I also had a few shoe boxes laying around.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well like I said, the bulb you have will be better than nothing :) it will suffice. No point in going broke for a bit of an upgrade. You can do that when funds are better.

As far as the basking bulb that's impossible to say. So many factors affect it. For example, in 1 of my tanks I use a regular 60w household bulb and it gets my basking surface to 105.
In my other tank which is wooden and has a different bulb fixture, a 50w reptile basking bulb gets my surface temp to 108.
The only way to find out is to turn it on, and measure the temp over the course of an hour or two. Just make sure you're using an accurate reliable thermometer and not those dial stick on ones.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes the best way is w/ the Infrared heat gun from Walmart or home Depot or Lowes-- they are around $10--- the cat carrier would work -- just make sure he cant get out thru the holes --- and put something soft in there -- or a shoe box would work too--- take them both w/ you and see which works best for him /her
Karrie

maiba

Original Poster
Yes I got one of those dial stick thermometers (hoping it might work) and I tested it on my other beardies basking spot and it was reading 80 (not accurate since his basking spot is a little over 100). So I have no way to tell if her basking bulb would truly be enough. I’ll get a digital probe on Monday or Tuesday to see if the 100w is enough. Thank you for your recommendation on the carries, I will be bringing both for her. Would you guys like me to post some pictures and an update as soon as I pick her up or would it be better to do it when we get her home? Also when should I offer her food?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If your going to buy a probe thermometer you might as well get the Infrared -- the probe is going to cost just as much as the infrared and its gonna be your better buy at this point--
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would find out when she was fed last and go from there - and like it was recommended feed her slow - I dont know what kind of shape shes in as far as the feeding goes --- but the butterworms will fatten her up and a good roach diet w/ some greens --- like mustard collard and turnip would be good--
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=167279
Little tidbit of info for you to read on thermometers ;)

Imo ir thermometers and digital with probes both have a place in your arsenal. Probe ends are nice as you can leave them in place to see a constant temperature. Where it thermometers are nice in the sense you get an instant reading. With probes you really should leave in place for 10+ minutes to let the reading settle. However, ir thermometers are slightly effected by the reflectivity of the surface it is measuring. They are usually less accurate on shiny surfaces where as probes dont have that issue.

Pros and cons to both :)

-Brandon

maiba

Original Poster
Okay great, when I get her I’ll ask them when she was fed last. If she doesn’t want to eat when do you think would be a good time for be to resort to using the butternut squash baby food? And thanks to whoever pushed my 2 posts together ? I initially put the other post in the beardie ER to see if anyone else in Washington wanted to take her but there seems to be an astoundingly low amount of Washingtonians on this forum.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
There is on person I believe from Washington and that is finleythebeardeddragon but she is a real young girl --- I would consult either TracieDrache613 or AHBD about the feeding deal -- they would be the best to ask --
Karrie

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
You could try feeding her some Repashy grub pie. It’s a powder you mix up with hot water, sets like jello. If you find things for your beardie online, Petsmart will price match. The non adhesive shelf liner is a good substrate, easy to clean, cheap & bugs can’t hide under it. Also makes a good liner for tile. Best wishes for you & her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom