BABY BEARDIE NOT EATING POSSIBLE MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nina018

Hi. I have had my beardie for 2-3months now. We have been force feeding him since the 3rd week, because he was not eating or moving at all. He got better after we started force feeding him but slowly strated to not use his back legs. He can move them,but when he does they go up and are almost always straight.It is now starging to happen to his front ones too.He has a 60gallon tank with 108temp on the hot side and 35% humidity. We are using the arcadia 12%+D3 uvb lamp T8 with a reflector that is 9inches from him.The uvb is stronger than the one the breeder got us. Is is MBD? He is getting his dubias with calcium powder 5 days a week. There is not a stronger uvb or a T5 in my country,and the other beardies with 10% are doing amazing,just ours isn't. The uvb is making some kind of noise tho,maybe it's the lamp holder that is making a problem,is that possible?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is the UVB in the tank or top of screen? I am going to flag your post ---

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it looks like you're taking great care of the little guy and set up is is great. I'm really sorry that he's having this trouble, there a few things it could be and no one thing is for sure. If the insects were ever too large they could cause impaction and cause hind leg paralysis. So it's important to note , is he pooping regularly ? Another possibility is something that I've heard of which is condition that almost mimics cerebral palsy or other neuro-muscular conditions in humans. I had a dragon years ago that I thought had a heat stroke but it may have been that mystery neuro muscular condition that I mentioned. He lived for almost 7 years , had a good appetite but never regained full use of his limbs. He could force himself across his enclosure and never seemed to suffer at all, just couldn't get around. So if that is your guy's problem it may never be reversed but if it's impaction it can be reversed most likely, possibly MBD as well. You may need to make his tank easier to get around, replace the basking log with a rolled up towel or sloped piece of cardboard that you can make ridges in with a knife so he can grip. Then be sure his uvb is close enough to benefit him. But again, is he pooing ? Does he make effort to get around ? Were the insects always smaller than the space between his eyes ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He sure is a little one. So sorry he is having trouble, it is never easy when they have issues.
The UVB light is a nice light. Is it on top of the screen or underneath of the screen?
What type of noise is the UVB tube making? The light fixture you have for it, did you purchase
it together or separately?
I agree with AHBD that he possibly could have eaten something too large for him?
How often do you give calcium for him?

Tracie

Nina018

Original Poster
He is pooping just fine,every day.It could be posibble that he ate a bug or two too big.The uvb is inside the tank,we bought the holder separately.The noise is kind of like a quiet buzzing.
Sorry for my bad english.

Nina018

Original Poster
He gets calcium once a day,five days a week.He is moving around a lot,and is very alert.He just doesn't want to eat on his own and is dragging his hind legs and sometimes has his front ones straight by his body.

Nina018

Original Poster
Could he have fallen and hurt his back? I really don't know what to do.I am planning on getting the uvb lower and seeing if that helps. If that does nothing i might give him to someone who knows how to keep reptiles,i don't want to keep hurting him if i was the reason for his condition.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I doubt that it was from a fall, he would likely be in pain and not as active. It's nothing you've done, sadly this is not all that uncommon. You'll have to decide what to do with him but chances are you can take care of him just as well as someone else. As a matter of fact, unless you find a really dedicated and upfront person they might lose interest quickly and neglect the little guy. You can still raise and care for him the best you can. His appetite should return.

Nina018

Original Poster
Okay,i think that i will try to keep him.Thank you so much for replying! I hope that he gets better.Will update

Hi. I have had my beardie for 2-3months now. We have been force feeding him since the 3rd week, because he was not eating or moving at all. He got better after we started force feeding him but slowly strated to not use his back legs. He can move them,but when he does they go up and are almost always straight.It is now starging to happen to his front ones too.He has a 60gallon tank with 108temp on the hot side and 35% humidity. We are using the arcadia 12%+D3 uvb lamp T8 with a reflector that is 9inches from him.The uvb is stronger than the one the breeder got us. Is is MBD? He is getting his dubias with calcium powder 5 days a week. There is not a stronger uvb or a T5 in my country,and the other beardies with 10% are doing amazing,just ours isn't. The uvb is making some kind of noise tho,maybe it's the lamp holder that is making a problem,is that possible?
Stop force feeding him just get a dropper and drop it over his mouth. Force feeding is the last thing you should do because he could be impacted with poop.

Stop force feeding him just get a dropper and drop it over his mouth. Force feeding is the last thing you should do because he could be impacted with poop.
Every person I've helped tonight has the same problem! You all need to get the T5 long light it should go halfway down the tank. That's what's wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom