Baby Beardie not eating and barely coming out of cave

hgrimes

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emrys
Hey! Almost a week ago, my 6 month old bearded dragon stopped eating crickets. She would generally eat about 20 crickets a day, but she shows zero interest in them now. Then she started hiding most of the day. She only comes out in the morning for a short period of time where she glass surfs. I have moved her to her basking spot a few times, and she'll stay there for maybe an hour or two, then go back into the cave.

I saw people saying that sometimes bearded dragons just get tired of crickets, so I began feeding her mealworms. She'll eat maybe 5, then stop eating. She seems very afraid of me now, which also just started. She used to be comfortable with me and eat out of my hand, but now she just pancakes. Some days she eats most of her salad, and some days she doesn't touch it. I'm worried she is getting malnourished since she isn't really eating protein. What should I do??

Enclosure is 40 gallon, basking spot is 105, cold side is 85. I just bought a new UVB light in hopes to help her feel better. The new light is Arcadia Reptile D3+T5 Lamp.

hgrimes

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emrys
Have you moved the UVB inside the tank -- the screen is blocking 30% of the rays and they will not eat w/ out proper UVB --- as far as the hiding goes what are the temps in the tank -- is she hiding on the cool side of the tank ? How are you getting surface basking temps? All I am seeing is the stickons- they are inaccurate
The UVB is inside but since she’s always in her cave, I don’t think she ever gets any. She’s hiding on the hot side in the cave below her heat lamp. I test the temperatures with a temp gun. Hot side stays around 95-105, cold side is usually 85.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB is inside but since she’s always in her cave, I don’t think she ever gets any. She’s hiding on the hot side in the cave below her heat lamp. I test the temperatures with a temp gun. Hot side stays around 95-105, cold side is usually 85.
Please get a reading w/ a digital probe thermometer- they are the most accurate - is your basking spot the hammock? If so the temp gun is giving a wrong reading- also distance for the uvb should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor

hgrimes

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emrys
Please get a reading w/ a digital probe thermometer- they are the most accurate - is your basking spot the hammock? If so the temp gun is giving a wrong reading- also distance for the uvb should be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor
I can use our meat thermometer tomorrow since that’s a digital price thermometer. Her basking spot it the rock.

Do you think it’s just temps? She’s been acting very strange for over a month now. Not eating, and now not coming out of her cave.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I can use our meat thermometer tomorrow since that’s a digital price thermometer. Her basking spot it the rock.

Do you think it’s just temps? She’s been acting very strange for over a month now. Not eating, and now not coming out of her cave.
It's best to get a reptile digital probe - zoo med found at PetSmart or Petco -- we won't know till we get a actual temp- we need to rule the lighting and temps out- are you using a clear solid bright white basking bulb?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom