baby Beardie barely eating, very tired

Status
Not open for further replies.

javani

I got a baby bearded dragon from PetCo of all places and when I first looked at him he looked tired but it was 8pm at the moment so I thought nothing of it, Initially he had gone without a UVB bulb for a day because i was waiting for it to arrive so he had his basking light. He had only ate 3 mealworms a few days after and i assumed it was stress he’s approximately 3 months old his mouth, eyes and nose is fine, no bumps on the body whenever he’s out of his tank he runs around and even likes to stare out the window. I try to keep him in it thought because it’s on average 32°F here.

I use reptile carpet with a 100w bulb and a 10.0 UVB hes around 6-7 in away from it, housed in a 20gal tank I have 2 bowls 1 for a minuscule amount of water and the other for his greens. this is the first time i’ve had my own, I watched my biology teachers beardie for the summer (and even got them a new tank because two beardies in a 75 is a yikes).

I am considering taking him to the vet because from what i’ve read around here it might be a parasite and that’s yucky.

All help is appreciated,
Jay

Attachments

• 50CF77D9-6D59-435A-AADE-1E2B49FFA40C.jpeg
    50CF77D9-6D59-435A-AADE-1E2B49FFA40C.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 177

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I got a baby bearded dragon from PetCo of all places and when I first looked at him he looked tired but it was 8pm at the moment so I thought nothing of it, Initially he had gone without a UVB bulb for a day because i was waiting for it to arrive so he had his basking light. He had only ate 3 mealworms a few days after and i assumed it was stress he’s approximately 3 months old his mouth, eyes and nose is fine, no bumps on the body whenever he’s out of his tank he runs around and even likes to stare out the window. I try to keep him in it thought because it’s on average 32°F here.

I use reptile carpet with a 100w bulb and a 10.0 UVB hes around 6-7 in away from it, housed in a 20gal tank I have 2 bowls 1 for a minuscule amount of water and the other for his greens. this is the first time i’ve had my own, I watched my biology teachers beardie for the summer (and even got them a new tank because two beardies in a 75 is a yikes).

I am considering taking him to the vet because from what i’ve read around here it might be a parasite and that’s yucky.

All help is appreciated,
Jay
Please no meal worms ---- the UVB is a T 5 or a T 8? Is it inside the tank or on the screen ? 20 gallon tank would need a T 8 for now a T 5 is too strong for a 20 gallon --- the T 8 would need to be unobstructed NO screen --please let him acclimate to the tank and surroundings NO out side for now --- he needs to have time to adjust -- you dont want to take him to the vet just yet and ABSOLUTELY NO ENEMAS --- if you need a fecal test done take one in drop it off --- 24 hr sample --- how is the poop ? runny horrible smelling? one sign of parasites -- his eating is going to be off its called relocation stress ---- if his basking temps are 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer that basking surface not air temp your good -- UVB needs to be NO coil and a long tube fixture --- thats why I asked about the T 5 or T 8

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
yeah only time my beardie has ever gotten impacted was when there were meal worms involved.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Relocation stress does affect them when they are especially small or younger. I would give him some
time to adjust to his new home before getting a fecal done on him. If he is stressed a lot right now, his
levels will be higher than normal.
Do let us know a few more details on your tank setup too so we can be sure it is all correct.

Tracie

FireRunner

I haven't read all the comments so I may be behind, I apologise if I am; that being said...

TAKE HIM TO THE VET!!
IF you haven't already. I had 2 beardies. Looking back, I think the bigger/slightly older one "knew" something was wrong with his "little brother". He would put the little guy on his back to help him get closer to the light, help him during baths, and even make sure he ate.

I wish I could've taken baby-boy to the vet. He was doing very well but started getting lethargic & not eating well, however I could get him to eat some. He also wasn't shedding much.
I had a friend who had rescued beardies & she helped me keep an eye on him. By the time he was too weak/sick, it would've been too late. It's better to have him checked.
My poor boy looked searched for his "little brother" for months. I hope your baby is doing good & that you were able to figure out what was going on with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom