Baby bearded dragon not moving much, not eating.

Julesdsm

Original Poster
Hi everyone.

We've had our baby bearded dragon for about a month now. A few days ago he stopped eating, and stopped moving much. He is having trouble walking and when he does move, he kinda drags himself with front and back legs, doesn't support himself up and run around .

I switched from a coil uvb to an arcadia t5 pro about 6 days ago. I had it on the screen, but now I mounted it inside the tank.

He has a basking light and basking spot is around 107. Cool side about 80. Taking temps with a digital probe type thermometer.

Tank is a 20 long.

I've been syringe feeding him repashy grub pie with some calcium powder mixed in. And daily soaks in warm water.

When he was eating on his own he had calcium dusted crickets and mixed greens, but he won't eat on his own at all anymore.

Is there anything else we can do? Couldn't get a vet appointment till next week.
PXL_20230308_210950523.jpg

Solution
Be careful with the heating pad, some get really hot 🔥 and breadies won't always move off them. I buy the cheap 20 dollar ones from Family Dollar. They don't get all that hot (as long as you don't fold them onto their selves) and they don't shut off automatically so you don't have to keep turning them back on.

Julesdsm

Original Poster
Well little guy is still hanging in there!

I have a question about temperature. Since he can't move himself from basking/ warm side to cool side to self regulate, what's the best temp to keep the tank. I can move him back and forth throughout the day but I just dont know if I should or how long he should be in each zone.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• 20230315_131515.jpg
    20230315_131515.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 57

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Well little guy is still hanging in there!

I have a question about temperature. Since he can't move himself from basking/ warm side to cool side to self regulate, what's the best temp to keep the tank. I can move him back and forth throughout the day but I just dont know if I should or how long he should be in each zone.

Thanks all!
I'm glad your little guy is still fighting.

I don't know what the optimal temperature schedule would be for an immobile dragon. But I do know he needs warmth to digest whatever food your able to get into him.

I'd say at least an hour under his basking light after eating would be appropriate. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more complete information on how often he needs a break from the heat.

Wishing you guys the best.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bless him, he is still hanging in there! Any improvements thus far, is he trying to eat anything?
For his age, since he is still growing, he needs the majority of the day in & or around his optimal
basking temperatures. What are your lights scheduled at, a 12 or 14 hour light period of time,
daily?

Tracie

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
Just got back from the vet. She said he weight was ok, but that he was dehydrated. She gave him some fluids and prescribed Fortaz antibiotic injected every three days. She said to only syringe feed every other day and suggested the repashy grub pie, which we already have.

She didnt think it was Mbd, but was leaning towards an infection. She didnt sound very hopeful unfortunately. She gave us the option of euthenasia, but I dont want to give up on him yet, so we will continue to see how he does on the antibiotics. Poor Alfie, its so sad to see him in this state.
Hope he gets better!

Julesdsm

Original Poster
Hello,

Bless him, he is still hanging in there! Any improvements thus far, is he trying to eat anything?
For his age, since he is still growing, he needs the majority of the day in & or around his optimal
basking temperatures. What are your lights scheduled at, a 12 or 14 hour light period of time,
daily?

Tracie
Thank you!

Yesterday morning when I woke up I thought he was gone, I had to watch him for a while to detect the slightest breath. There was no response or movement at all and he would not open his eyes. He improved slightly through the day and by night he was lifting his head.

Today he woke up right when I turned on the lights and looked at me. He still can't walk, but he's trying to move his legs for the first time in days. Not eating on his own yet . But I'm feeling hopeful again.

We've been keeping the lights on 14 hours since he's been sick.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you!

Yesterday morning when I woke up I thought he was gone, I had to watch him for a while to detect the slightest breath. There was no response or movement at all and he would not open his eyes. He improved slightly through the day and by night he was lifting his head.

Today he woke up right when I turned on the lights and looked at me. He still can't walk, but he's trying to move his legs for the first time in days. Not eating on his own yet . But I'm feeling hopeful again.

We've been keeping the lights on 14 hours since he's been sick.
Do you have a che? ceramic heat emitter for night time use?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We don't, but we set up an under tank heater for night time. Do you think a che would be better? I can definitely order one.
I would -- we dont recommend under heater mats -- dragons heat from their backs not stomachs
I would get a 100 watt bulb for your tank and keep ambient temps around 80 at night --

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Ok, I'll order one now. Thank you
Just make sure you have a fixture made to handle a che. It absolutely must have a ceramic socket and even then some are not designed for the extreme heat a che puts out.

As an example I have a zoomed fixture rated for 100w with a ceramic socket and the manufacturer still specifically warns against the use of a che.

They also should really be suspended by a lamp holder and not set on top of the cage as even some metal meshes can warp under the intense heat.

None of that is meant to dissuade you from getting one as @KarrieRee is correct that they are very effective at providing heat without any light. They just have unique safety requirements that need to be understood and respected.

This fixture by flukers is specifically designed with a che in mind and has a built in dimmer in case you need to back the heat down. There are plenty of other options as well.

So glad your beardie is showing signs of improvement. It's amazing how hard you are fighting for him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, so wonderful to hear your little one is hanging in there.
For overnight heating, you can definitely use a ceramic heat emitter to help boost his system.
I am happy to hear he is improving some, what a trooper he is. They can really surprise you
sometimes.
Let us know how things are going. We are all pulling for him!

Tracie

Julesdsm

Original Poster
I'm sorry to say that Alfie passed this morning. Little guy fought really hard.

I wish I knew exactly what happened to him. We fell in love with him much more than I thought was possible for a reptile. We will miss him.

Thank you all for the advice and support. It helped a lot.

Attachments

• PXL_20230222_222910841.jpg
    PXL_20230222_222910841.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 63

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
I'm sorry to say that Alfie passed this morning. Little guy fought really hard.

I wish I knew exactly what happened to him. We fell in love with him much more than I thought was possible for a reptile. We will miss him.

Thank you all for the advice and support. It helped a lot.
I'm so sorry.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom