Baby bearded dragon not moving much, not eating.

Julesdsm

Original Poster
Hi everyone.

We've had our baby bearded dragon for about a month now. A few days ago he stopped eating, and stopped moving much. He is having trouble walking and when he does move, he kinda drags himself with front and back legs, doesn't support himself up and run around .

I switched from a coil uvb to an arcadia t5 pro about 6 days ago. I had it on the screen, but now I mounted it inside the tank.

He has a basking light and basking spot is around 107. Cool side about 80. Taking temps with a digital probe type thermometer.

Tank is a 20 long.

I've been syringe feeding him repashy grub pie with some calcium powder mixed in. And daily soaks in warm water.

When he was eating on his own he had calcium dusted crickets and mixed greens, but he won't eat on his own at all anymore.

Is there anything else we can do? Couldn't get a vet appointment till next week.
PXL_20230308_210950523.jpg

Solution
Be careful with the heating pad, some get really hot 🔥 and breadies won't always move off them. I buy the cheap 20 dollar ones from Family Dollar. They don't get all that hot (as long as you don't fold them onto their selves) and they don't shut off automatically so you don't have to keep turning them back on.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
C
Could this have been caused by having the coil uvb light initially? I feel so bad
Could be but he should of bounced back or improved- the distance for the uvb should be directly over the basking decor 12-15 inches- he's not impacted if he's pooping - Please lay off the baths- please post a pic of him- drop water on his nose for now every couple of days-

Julesdsm

Original Poster
C

Could be but he should of bounced back or improved- the distance for the uvb should be directly over the basking decor 12-15 inches- he's not impacted if he's pooping - Please lay off the baths- please post a pic of him- drop water on his nose for now every couple of days-

C

Here are some pics

Attachments

• PXL_20230312_015317555.jpg
    PXL_20230312_015317555.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20230312_015329347.jpg
    PXL_20230312_015329347.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 67

Julesdsm

Original Poster
Get you uvb adjusted and watch his behavior - has he been basking under his lights-
I put him there in the mornings, and a couple times through the day. He moves away when he gets hot. He can get down from the branch or rock but he can't get up on his own. This last Monday he could still jump and was hunting crickets, but then almost overnight he seemed to lose strength in his limbs and stopped eating.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I put him there in the mornings, and a couple times through the day. He moves away when he gets hot. He can get down from the branch or rock but he can't get up on his own. This last Monday he could still jump and was hunting crickets, but then almost overnight he seemed to lose strength in his limbs and stopped eating.
Ok keep feeding him- the not being able to move is concerning but your uvb is good- - just need to adjust the distance- we need to see if this helps- I need to see if some others can help
@AHBD
@Drache613

Julesdsm

Original Poster
I moved it into the tank today because I was concerned he was still not getting enough. Its about 8-10 inches away now depending where he is . Don't know if that's too close. Its a 12 percent.

Attachments

• 16785903494676510387126689202590.jpg
    16785903494676510387126689202590.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 51

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I moved it into the tank today because I was concerned he was still not getting enough. Its about 8-10 inches away now depending where he is . Don't know if that's too close. Its a 12 percent.
12% bulb is usually 12-15 inche distance but we lets see how he does w/ the 8-10 -- watch where he sits and for how long -- I have flagged Tracie and AHBD -- need to see about more ideas of why hes not moving and having trouble moving --
@AHBD
@Drache613

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sorry to hear about your little one, hopefully he can bounce back now that he has good uvb. Feeding the Repashy is also an excellent idea so you are doing all you can, now you just have to wait. If it's sunny outside you can take him out for a half hour every day and sit with him on the ground and him on your lap.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If it's not windy and you can have him sit directly on you for body heat. Or if you have a plastic tote, it would heat up in the sun , like a car does even if the windows are down the car itself absorbs the heat. You wouldn't use a plastic tote if it was over 75 outside, it would get too hot.

Julesdsm

Original Poster
If it's not windy and you can have him sit directly on you for body heat. Or if you have a plastic tote, it would heat up in the sun , like a car does even if the windows are down the car itself absorbs the heat. You wouldn't use a plastic tote if it was over 75 outside, it would get too hot.
Thank you so much. We took him out for about 30 minutes. Hopefully the sun sticks around some this week so we can do it more.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom