Baby Bearded Dragon Not Eating

NordNerd

Beardie name(s)
Cinnabar
I received a baby bearded dragon on morph market Thursday the 7th. For the past few days, but he hasn't really eaten anything. He ate two roaches and some arugula Saturday, but that's it.
He'll bask and be alert to thing happening around him, but he never tries to eat anything I give him. I notice that he'll be breathing more rapidly at times. I had a bearded dragon before, and nothing like this has ever happened with me.

Here's the information for the enclosure and all:
Beardie name(s) Cinnabar
Beardie's Birthdate May 11, 2022
Beardie's Gender Male
Adoption/Purchase Date Jul 7, 2022
Enclosure Dimensions 36x18x12 (temporary)
Enclosure Temperatures (cool, warm, basking spot) 80, 90, ~110
Thermometer Type Digital with a probe
UVB Source Zoo Med Tropical 5.0 T5 (temporary)
UVB Placement Top, ~8 in from basking spot
Basking Light Arcadia 100w Halogen
Basking Schedule 8am-7pm
Substrate Tile (temporary)

I originally had one of the screw-in UVB bulbs but have swapped it out for another basking bulb. That's when I temporarily swapped to the Zoo Med Tropical 5.0 T5 bulb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I received a baby bearded dragon on morph market Thursday the 7th. For the past few days, but he hasn't really eaten anything. He ate two roaches and some arugula Saturday, but that's it.
He'll bask and be alert to thing happening around him, but he never tries to eat anything I give him. I notice that he'll be breathing more rapidly at times. I had a bearded dragon before, and nothing like this has ever happened with me.

Here's the information for the enclosure and all:
Beardie name(s) Cinnabar
Beardie's Birthdate May 11, 2022
Beardie's Gender Male
Adoption/Purchase Date Jul 7, 2022
Enclosure Dimensions 36x18x12 (temporary)
Enclosure Temperatures (cool, warm, basking spot) 80, 90, ~110
Thermometer Type Digital with a probe
UVB Source Zoo Med Tropical 5.0 T5 (temporary)
UVB Placement Top, ~8 in from basking spot
Basking Light Arcadia 100w Halogen
Basking Schedule 8am-7pm
Substrate Tile (temporary)

I originally had one of the screw-in UVB bulbs but have swapped it out for another basking bulb. That's when I temporarily swapped to the Zoo Med Tropical 5.0 T5 bulb
Your on the right track- your uvb is inside the tank? 5.0 bulbs cannot go thru the screen distance is good by it needs to be unobstructed - he's going thru relocation stress- he's eating that is good - adjust your uvb situation and just keep feeding him- let him acclimate to his tank and surroundings- he will start eating more as he adjust- start hand taming him slow w/ your hand in the tank approach from the side not over head- he will think your a predator - put a piece of clothing or fleece blanket or cloth in his hide- so he can get used to your smell- you can use bsfl or super worms or horn worms to hand feed him

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
Be patient, I got a new baby on the 7th as well and he's not eaten much either. If its alert, basking, moving around then I'd not worry to much. Like any other baby reptile it can take days to even a couple weeks for them to adjust. One thing is lighting. I'd go atleast 12 and 12. I do 14 and 10 from spring till the end of summer and 12 and 12 from fall through winter.

NordNerd

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cinnabar
Be patient, I got a new baby on the 7th as well and he's not eaten much either. If its alert, basking, moving around then I'd not worry to much. Like any other baby reptile it can take days to even a couple weeks for them to adjust. One thing is lighting. I'd go atleast 12 and 12. I do 14 and 10 from spring till the end of summer and 12 and 12 from fall through winter.
Alright, I see. How long would you say until it becomes a problem? Sometimes he’ll keep his eyes closed later in the day, and I’m not sure if that’s becoming more common or not.

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
I've had reptiles take up to 2 to 3 weeks to come around. My most laid back reptile, 3 and a half year old tegu named frodo, pretty much stayed buried for 3 straight weeks before he was comfortable enough to be seen let alone eat. Just be patient, make sure it's acting normal aka basking, moving around, holding its head up.

NordNerd

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cinnabar
I've had reptiles take up to 2 to 3 weeks to come around. My most laid back reptile, 3 and a half year old tegu named frodo, pretty much stayed buried for 3 straight weeks before he was comfortable enough to be seen let alone eat. Just be patient, make sure it's acting normal aka basking, moving around, holding its head up.
How did you reduce stress to get him to eat? I can get mine to eat a few mealworms if I’m lucky, but he mostly will look at food and then do nothing, if not walk away.

Lobretto

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Verstappen and Checo
How did you reduce stress to get him to eat? I can get mine to eat a few mealworms if I’m lucky, but he mostly will look at food and then do nothing, if not walk away.
I dont pester them much. Just let them be. I'll put some roaches in a bug bowl and leave them in so it can eat when it wants. I just check every now and then to see how many it eat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
His lighting and temps are going to play apart in the acclimating to the tank and surroundings -- is he eating anything at all ? Please do not feed meal worms to a baby --- have you gotten some BSFL to add to his salads? Her needs to be eating something nothing is not good and is a problem-- your uvb is inside the tank? 5.0 bulbs cannot go thru the screen distance is good by it needs to be unobstructed - this is extremely important

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom